It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fighting was my drug of choice

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   
So in the past few years I have had to come to terms with the fact that my fighting career(if you could even call it that) is over. Honestly it's been the hardest thing I have ever had to come to terms with in my life. The only equivalent I can think of is witnessing the struggles of a heroin users. It's a very very powerful drug to fight in front of large crowds of people and win. It's totally mind blowing. Standing in front of thousands of people with your hand raised in the air after an extremely hard fought fight only to barely come out ahead at the end is something else. I'd almost call it spiritual.

It gives you a real feeling of power. I don't know if any of you have really felt this power before. For weeks or even months after the fight it's like you are living on another level. It's incromprehensible to the average citizen. It's why I think boxers and MMA fighters become depressed and end up as drug users and homeless besides traumatic brain injuries.

I think you get connected to something deeper when your fighting in front of large crowds like that. The lights the noise everything it all goes away and the only thing in front of you is the person in the other corner. It's almost like an extreme form of meditation. I have had fights where at the end of the fight I can't even believe what happened. I always told people it wasn't me in there fighting. You have to know that your training and coaching is good and have enough confidence in your ability to totally let go and let your training take control and let it flow.

I think it's a very spiritual experience for me, but I let it control me. I couldn't quit, couldn't walk away from the sport even though I knew I was done. Even until this day I can't watch fights because it draws me back into the sport and I go the gym and spar and start hitting the heavy bag, it really is like a drug. Talking about it pulls me back in, working someone's corner pulls me back in. I have multiple times dropped everything I was doing to jump on a sponsorship offer or a chance to train at a good camp and basically ruined my life over it. I had to become aware of the fact that I was doing this and I have to make the choice consciously to stop doing this everytime it comes up. It's very hard to walk away from and I imagine a lot of fighters out there lead empty cold lives because it's like losing a child to them almost. 10-15 years of grueling brutally hard work gone done. Something you love stripped away from you by age.
edit on 2/16/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I've played in bands in front of tens of thousands many times.
There is no other feeling no matter how many days or weeks or months every show is like shooting up a cocktail of meth, heroin, coc aine and somas in the neck. In slow motion.
No TMI but tinnitus.
I'm sure fighter pilots, wingsuit people even roadies get similar experiences.
I've also taken bear from the ground with a bow blowing predator calls which is basically a fight to the death and leaves one feeling kind of odd....
Haha!
Try joining a SEAL team and HALO into whatever it is they do or even any combat arms MOS in a combat zone.
*never did any of the above*

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Yeah. Adrenaline is a good buzz.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: MrNeo

Yeah halo jumping sounds great.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: MrNeo

There is no other feeling no matter how many days or weeks or months every show is like shooting up a cocktail of meth, heroin, coc aine and somas in the neck.

Experience talking?
Oh my.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Try combat. Best (worse) drug/addiction I've ever experienced.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Sick thread one....I'm an aspiring Mma fighter, as well as a recovering addict......in my mind fighting is the healthiest drug......

I've never been as happy as I was after winning two jui jitzu matches with a rear naked in a row in some dudes (an ex prize fighter named "Gentle") garage. Even after losing the third via guillotine, I was still riding this adrenaline high for days......I feel so depressed not fighting, knowing that it is my calling and not pursuing it is ultimately depressing......

Very recently I stepped into a gym called Redemption Mma, and received a very warm welcome, I was learning actual brazilian jui jitzu and training true mma style striking as well as traditional muay Thai............I stopped about a month ago because, due to personal issues I can't give them 100%,.....not being there is burning away my soul and I feel God is frowning upon me.............

Anyway, sorry for the rant, I respect what you have done and think it is a healthy addiction, you tapped into your warrior spirit and stepped up where many would step down.
edit on 16-2-2015 by GoShredAK because: Oops

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 02:13 AM
link   
The downside of every worldly pleasure is that there is a beginning and an end.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Maybe this is one of those times where I should keep my mouth shut......I understand that many people seem to enjoy " fighting"...my Dad used to box, my hubby enjoys watching it. I can't even say it's a gender thing, cause I guess lot's of women enjoy it too.

The idea of people "getting high" fighting or watching fighting is bizarre and the idea of people enjoying the rush of combat is downright disturbing to me.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: MountainLaurel

Sorry to "disturb" you.
edit on 17/2/15 by 35Foxtrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   

The idea of people "getting high" fighting or watching fighting is bizarre and the idea of people enjoying the rush of combat is downright disturbing to me.

It's a very primal thing....if you are not "in tune" with that animalistic side, or haven't been forced into that "animal", you may never understand.

.....I don't find it "disturbing" as much as I find it interesting. It's more common than many imagine.
I'd imagine, in some way, shape, or form...we all experience it.

Whatever gets the adrenaline pumping < varies for everyone....all the same in the end.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   

That is because you have never felt as alive like that.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

It is very hard to understand unless you've been there.

i think its the same issue that combat veterans and fighters suffer. Combat veterans come back from war and live regular lives and all they can think about and talk about for the rest of their lives is when they were in the military at war. Look at the Chris Kyle movie. It was a drug for him to snipe those people IN THE MOVIE. Very hard to understand.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

When i meet young aspiring fighters in gyms or when someone is looking for my specific skillset as a coach i tell them the same thing.

Do something else.

If they come back the next day then i ignore them. If they keep coming back eventually i start train them. If someone can talk you out of wanting to be a fighter you shouldnt be there its as simple as that.

I lose money doing that but i dont want to give some 18 year old false hope if that guy isnt totally ready to completely dedicate himself in everyway then he shouldnt be there because some monster is going to destroy him.
edit on 2/17/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: 35Foxtrot
Try combat. Best (worse) drug/addiction I've ever experienced.

Yeah so i have heard.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Maybe you'd be interested in something like 50 shades of Grey. I'm not sure if it's a gender thing, but according to the numbers, reading sadistic rape fantasies is a gas. It's disturbing to me however. Combat sports are at least sports.
edit on 17-2-2015 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I appreciate everyone's insights and my intention is not so much to judge, but to understand. I do enjoy exhilarating activities, but for some reason I seem to have a hyper-sensitive reaction to violence. I guess I'm wondering if this is almost abnormal ? Years ago I fled the auditorium in tears when they marched us all in and showed us Nazi Concentration films and seemed to be more traumatized then my peers. Throughout my life even violent movies and images will haunt me for weeks, sometimes years. I once witnessed a pretty brutal fight and actually pee'd my pants !

Anyways, I'd like to think I'm a pretty normal, well-adjusted person and so I guess when I hear that people enjoy the rush of fighting and battle it is just beyond my frame of understanding and possibly gives me a false reality of the possibility of humans living in Peace.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Its not just the rush of battle either.

You have to totally dedicate yourself. You have to train with multiple coaches and learn and utilize what your learning. Its the entire process people get addicted to i think.

Seeing results is amazing. Its an accomplishment as well, one that less then 1% of the population can endure.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Maybe you'd be interested in something like 50 shades of Grey. I'm not sure if it's a gender thing, but according to the numbers, reading sadistic rape fantasies is a gas. It's disturbing to me however. Combat sports are at least sports.

LOL.......we're in agreement about this ! I would have never even heard of this book until my cousin gave me a copy to read on a plane trip, I never finished it and won't see the movie.

It's really kinda the same thing though, people "getting off" on violence and my concerns that this is more the "norm" then I really understand.
edit on 17-2-2015 by MountainLaurel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Its not just the rush of battle either.

You have to totally dedicate yourself. You have to train with multiple coaches and learn and utilize what your learning. Its the entire process people get addicted to i think.

Seeing results is amazing. Its an accomplishment as well, one that less then 1% of the population can endure.

I really understand your point and the type of fighting your involved in seems to be a sport you train hard for and is meant to entertain people. That is at least a more positive way to harness the aggression that seems to be a part of human nature. It starts getting more complicated when we have soldiers and cops training for battle, wouldn't they perhaps be more inclined to use that training more quickly then needed or required to full fill that desire to feel the "rush" ? IDK ? Like I said, my interest in your OP was to better understand what I see as a culture of glorified violence.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join