It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was your Valentine experience worse than mine or my sister's?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Talking with my sister today, I was commiserating with her V-Day experience when I realized that mine was actually worse. I'll preface this by saying that neither one of us are dewy-eyed romantics who flutter at the thought of a Valentine's Day gift, sentiment or interlude. But come ON!

My sister's experience: The man she's "dated" long-distance for four years sent her a text message Sunday (yes, the day after) saying her card is "in the mail."

My experience: The man with whom I live got upset that I had to work all weekend (third weekend in a row and I pay all the bills) and couldn't go on a fishing/camping trip. To keep the peace and get a little sunshine I went anyway and took my laptop and WiFi hotspot planning to sit under a tree and work while he fished. We stopped on the way to buy groceries and he threw a $5 card with an image of a kid holding roses into the cart when I wasn't looking. I wound up paying for it. He gave it to me unsigned, without even bothering to put it in the envelope.

Can't we just do away with this insane holiday, already? It brings out the worst in people, or maybe it just brings murky relationship problems into focus.

p.s. Yes, I am seriously considering dumping his intolerant, freeloading behind and just don't want it to appear to be based on something so banal as unfulfilled V-Day expectations.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: graceunderpressure

While me and my wife do not celebrate or acknowledge holidays, never have. I know some people do and I agree with what you are saying. We have been married 28 years in October and realized holidays do not mean a thing except for kids and grandkids. It is best to gift all year long than just the man made holidays.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Sorry you two had a crappy holiday. Mine was the same as always. I was alone.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

At this moment, "alone" sounds lovely.

By the way, I'm sorry for being such a downer. It's not like me. I'm just getting fed up.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   

You're "considering" dumping him? Jump to the I've dumped him stage.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

I will say that from what I know of you... You deserve better than you've gotten here.

My husband and I don't do VDay. As a matter of fact, I spent it with my mother and didn't even realize it was Valentines day until that night. We could never afford to do anything for the first 17 years, so now we just don't.

It's not the gift though... I know what you mean. It's the sentiment and the feeling (or non feeling) behind what happened. You do deserve better. I hope you know that and I hope you will seek it out when you are ready.

You're a friend. You deserve more.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I'm single so i had no love of my life to let me down.

But my 8 year daughter who i had for the day on valentines day, made me a nice valentines day card, which made my day.

edit on 16-2-2015 by bhaal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Yea I laugh at this holiday I don't have to wait for one specific date to give my wife flowers or small presents I do it all the time this holiday defeats its purpose, as far as your man you deserve better you seem like a hard worker keep it up eventually mr right will sweep you off your feet!!!!

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

Same situation on my end.

Maybe next year I should host a party - a couple nights before Valentine's Day I actually sent out a notification that if any girl was single, I'd treat them to lunch or dinner, just because I didn't want to mope around the apartment all day...Obviously, no-one took me up on the offer, even though they basically wouldn't have had to pay a dime (oh well, life goes on).

Sorry to hear yours was bad.

-foss

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
These made up holidays are for the merchants pockets not for the plebs,,,anyone who is hung up on that crap needs a head lift......

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Ah, Kanga -- you're the best! Thanks for the support. It's so hard to see these things when you're "in it," no matter how much you try to be objective. I really think this is IT for me and the whole romance experience. How would I look?

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: bhaal
i also am a born again bachelor and i have no intention of changing that , but you must realize that it is a manufactured thing by the card industry , the same as mother and fathers day , before long there will be a card just about everything,

if you care for some one just show it , never mind the damn cards.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
If your significant other can't get a simple thing like valentines day right, what good will he be when it's not so simple?

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
If your significant other can't get a simple thing like valentines day right, what good will he be when it's not so simple?

So wise! That's exactly what I'm thinking.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

My hubby and I are kind on a tight budget and he's not really romantically inclined. We've worked out a system. He'll point at flowers in the grocery store and tell me "Happy Val's Day" instead of wasting fund on flowers that wilt. It conveys the sentiment and doesn't cost any money.

All that aside...I don't know your guy that well, but I think it's pretty lame he made you pay for the card like that.

Here's some belated Gal Pal flowers to help make up for it.
*hugs*

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I got up early and made my Sweet Lady wife of 39 years a breakfast of Blackberry-Stuffed French toast. Dinner was provided by me, at home, by candlelight. I gave her 2 1/2 dozen roses, a box of chocolate-dipped strawberries, and a basketful of various goodies from local specialty stores.

edit on 16-2-2015 by dbarnhart because: typo

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   

You'd look dashing if course!!

It is hard to see while you're in it and it's easy to give advice when you're not.
I've been on both ends. It's easy (like I said above) to give advice to others, but I always think that I can be miserable alone. I don't need to be miserable with someone making it worse.

You work hard, and you've been through some crap. You do deserve much better than someone living off of you and not even bothering to contribute a little and not even monetarily either. But emotionally...

Here's to hoping your next V-Day is more along the lines of what you deserve!

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

What a great tradition! My best friend and I have the same protocol. Every year for her birthday, I send her pictures of things that I would give her if 1) I had the means and 2) she cared about material objects. She's so appreciative and I enjoy it immensely. Here are last year's gifts:

(tea picked by monkeys)

(monkey brain bowl)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   

That's AWESOME! That list is completely brilliant! Yes!

*sending more hugs*

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Send him a Sympathy Card with a hand-written message:

You're Dumped

You'd still have made more effort than he did with your Valentine Card.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join