It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The eternal NOW

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

You guys are arguing semantics. Everything actually is just happening now. There are concepts stored in local memory learnt from the past that we can use to curve our actions in the now. Just because something is learnt doesn't mean we are physically drawing from the 'past.' The past is still just a concept we use and does not actually exist. What exists is the activity present in the here and now which exerts it's energy and actively shapes our ongoing existence. As for the future, the idea is just a probability calculation we use that can be helpful in thinking of what could become.

There really only is the now however. It seems physics would agree as in past choices are built upon present decisions. So the past is built in context as to what is happening in the present.

So we all agree. Or else we wouldn't be here.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Time is nothing more than the measuring device necessary for knowing eternity exists

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: preludefanguy

Yes, semantics. That's usually what ends up happening when LM shows up in a thread, semantics are argued.

I don't think looking into the past or the future is a bad thing, as long as you are not stuck there. I recognize the now but I still know the concepts of past and future and think about them often, the only difference is that I'm aware of the all-pervading now. It is where things happen, the past was once the now and the future will be the now at some point. Where past and future meet is right now and that is all that truly exists.
edit on 2/16/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Time. Was it Bashar who said "human beings are the only entities in all of creation who have invented the means to accurately measure something that absolutely does not exist?" ta reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
To think of the past is still to look at the now, because that thought is happening in the now.

If you see you are headed toward a cliff and you think of a fall that happened in the past, that is the now telling you "look what happened last time". That thought of the past is still happening in the here and now, so learning from the past is learning from the now, not only because the past was once the now, but because the now is bringing that thought to you in that moment.

Past and future are illusions, the now is all that is truly real.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

How would you know falling off a cliff would hurt if you didn't consider the past?

One does not have to walk off a cliff to know it is not a good idea to.
I have a cat that for the first two years of it's life was an indoor cat and amazingly it never walks off a high window sill or roof - strange that.
edit on 17-2-2015 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: donktheclown
Time. Was it Bashar who said "human beings are the only entities in all of creation who have invented the means to accurately measure something that absolutely does not exist?" ta reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Bashar is the worst of the lot.

It is in someones interest to continuously tell us what is going on here, and they all claim that we are in delusion with time.

I contend that now IS time...living in the now is just as easily manipulated as everything else.

It does not matter what anyone thinks of time, FLUX is time, AGING is time, enlightenment is only accomplished with time.

So perhaps this time is necessary, and everywhere that cannot find time is completely useless, which is why this here was created.

If we can remove the hijackers we could see for ourselves, but the new agers are just as lost in trying to figure things out, albeit from a different perspective.

Sure is nice and romantic though.

If one was actually to live NOW COMPLETELY, the power that comes with it is so immense, most beg for time, and do ANYTHING to slow it down.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ParasuvO

If one was actually to live NOW COMPLETELY, the power that comes with it is so immense, most beg for time, and do ANYTHING to slow it down.

The illusion is that there is someone who can live in the now. Now is what there is........period. Now is doing it's thing and it looks like this.

Thoughts and words appear now that tell stories about an individual who lives in time. There is only ever a dreaming of time and separate things.
There is just now and it is arising as this (whatever is appearing) - eternally.

edit on 19-2-2015 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
The past influences the future by influencing the present. They are all intertwined. They cannot be seperated. Time has no effect on this process.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Your thread sounds interesting but unfortunately it was made in the past so I can't read it now.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: VelvetSplash

So were you. I guess you don't actually exist anymore.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Holy sh*t, I didn't think of that! Then who typed this? And who typed this?! And then who typed this?!.....

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   

I do refuse to become involved in these woo-woo concepts generally. The reason that I will comment on this is that you commented on why be concerned with anything else but this now is the ego-blast from hell.

Why do you need to consider this as anything other than it is, a process? Beginnings and ends may not be consequential but they exist. A grinding reality that moves along a path of limited calculations but unlimited outcomes. The fact that your sentience is permitted to view this should convince you of it's obviousness.
You're looking at it. Retreating into the oblivion of the 'eternal now' is just an expression of your non-utility and worthlessness.

I do not use Dualism. Faith, Belief, Feelings or conventional conceptions to consider my being (or yours). I can cite what I see and how this system requires everything to conform but not to be confined over time.

The Universe demands evolvement. Everything else flows from this. I have never seen or read anything (that actually considers what can be grasped) to contravene this concept. It demands it and it does not care how you perceive it. If you get in the way or just don't fit you are eliminated from your precious now in the future of the Universe.

The 'now' is just a set of co-ordinates the Universe uses as a basis, a platform to become what it will. It is generated by that which has come before, the prior set of conditions. To think that there is only a 'now' forgoes whatever worth you COULD bring to the future and you will disappear into the abyss of the prior 'Nows'.

You are a nihilist when you accept this.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Maybe if you were focused on what is here right now, you wouldn't have walked to the edge of the cliff in the first place. If I'm seeing now, I am seeing that cliff and I choose not to walk toward it. If you're preoccupied with the past or future you may walk off the cliff before realizing it is happening in the now.

All your apparently here-and-now perceptions are already in the past. You never experience now, as the body-mind. Take visual perception, for instance. By the time the light from the object strikes the eye, and the neurons are fired to re-present the image that you then experience, time has passed. Thus, all of our perceptions are experiences of events that are in the past by the time we actually experience them!

It is a common presumption, very much put forth by Alan Watts in his day, that one should live in the here-and-now by simply perceiving what apparently is. That's a useful enough exercise to stay aware of what is apparently happening, but to then think this is the present or NOW, is clearly incorrect given ALL we experience is already in the past.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 03:09 AM
link   
a reply to: bb23108

By the time the light from the object strikes the eye, and the neurons are fired to re-present the image that you then experience, time has passed. Thus, all of our perceptions are experiences of events that are in the past by the time we actually experience them!

There is nothing that can be done about that situation so killing psychological time is the way to go. Kill psychological time and see what begins to happen.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 04:21 AM
link   

It is a common presumption, very much put forth by Alan Watts in his day, that one should live in the here-and-now by simply perceiving what apparently is. That's a useful enough exercise to stay aware of what is apparently happening, but to then think this is the present or NOW, is clearly incorrect given ALL we experience is already in the past.

What is apparently happening is not the past or the future.
What appears to be happening, is happening as this.
This is what there IS.

What appears to be happening is not a thing.

Is it possible for you say where and when you are?

edit on 21-2-2015 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrunkYogi

There is nothing that can be done about that situation so killing psychological time is the way to go. Kill psychological time and see what begins to happen.

What do you mean by psychological time? The events required for the perception to actually be experienced involve physical events that take time to occur.
edit on 2/21/2015 by bb23108 because:

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain
What is apparently happening is not the past or the future.
What appears to be happening, is happening as this.
This is what there IS.

I was responding to the post in which perception was being equated as the same as living in the present. Clearly no perception is the same as the actual event or object that is being perceived, as it takes time for the perception to occur, and thus the perception is an "historical" re-presentation of the event itself.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Most people live in the past or the future psychologically. They remember events, usually painful ones, and replay them in their minds. They also project imaginary scenarios about the future and constantly worry over some event that will likely never occur. It is unusual for a person to be living in the moment. I am not saying that some memory and some projection are wrong, it is the way in which they are constantly used that is the problem. If you live life constantly in the past or future then you are not living at all.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:17 AM
link   

No, the now is not in the past, it never is, it's always happening right now. That's why I use the term "now". It doesn't matter when my brain processes an event, all that matters is that I experience the now when my brain processes it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join