It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The eternal NOW

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   

We are living in a culture entirely hypnotized by the illusion of time, in which the so-called present moment is felt as nothing but an infinitesimal hairline between an all-powerfully causative past and an absorbingly important future. We have no present. Our consciousness is almost completely preoccupied with memory and expectation. We do not realize that there never was, is, nor will be any other experience than present experience. We are therefore out of touch with reality. We confuse the world as talked about, described, and measured with the world which actually is. We are sick with a fascination for the useful tools of names and numbers, of symbols, signs, conceptions and ideas.

- Alan Watts

Past and future do not exist, all that there is, was, and ever will be is the eternal NOW.

The present is the gift, to focus on anything other than what is happening in this moment is to miss the present that has been given to us by the Creator and to live in illusion. We are experiencing eternity now and there is nothing else. The past no longer is, the future has yet to be, so in that sense they do not exist. All the questions you could ever want answered are located in the here and now, they do not lie in the past nor in the future.

The light moves and changes, but the observer stays fixed in place. The observer is the NOW and you are that observer. Where are you? You are here in this moment, just as everyone else is, just as you have always been. Why focus on what happened in the past or what will happen in the future? Will worrying about either of those two things change anything? No, so why not focus on what is happening this very moment? The only thing that you can change is what happens right now, so why not change it for the better?

What is happening right now? All that can happen, all possibilities are playing out in this moment.

What can compare to the now? Nothing, because there is nothing outside of it to be compared to.

Imagine all the activity happening right now across the entire universe, from the tiniest rock being blown in the wind on a planet on the other side of the universe to the largest star rotating around its galaxy's core, all things are happening exactly as they should according to the laws put in place by our universe. How mind-blowing is this thing called now? It is inconceivably complex yet inconceivably perfect in the way it works. It is the embodiment of perfection.

Stop living in the past and looking forward into the future, see what is happening right NOW and you will see perfection playing out every moment of every day.

"Know thyself", in order to know yourself you must first find yourself. You are located right NOW. What do you see? A dance of light that is ever-changing and ever-moving, but you yourself are fixed within the now which is motionless. Find this place and you will find the ALL. You are all in all, you are the NOW, and you are eternal.

Thank you for reading.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I've come to the conclusion that time is order.

Make of that what you will.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I disagree, time is chaos.

Though order can be created from chaos, chaos is not order.

To each his own though.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   

I don't see at all from any philosophical perspective how time be seen as chaos, in fact it infers the exact opposite.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
They say time is an Arrow

But it also seems to be cyclic in nature, especially when you consider what time is based on. Either
the cycle of the Sun(solar calendar) or the Moon(lunar calendar). Then, you have no time at all, or the
concept of infinity. But in math, there are different forms of infinity as well. Practicing meditation can
help you become more in tune with nature, the cosmos. Some call it cosmic consciousness, and as do I

Cosmic Consciousness
by Richard Maurice Bucke
[1901]
www.sacred-texts.com...

I have practiced meditation since a boy, about 24 years. It is the best way to align yourself with the ALL,and
also to find peace within yourself, in my humble opinion. It has helped me in more ways than I could possibly list in one post. I LOVE Alan Watts by the way, thanks.

Also about time...

www.waggish.org...

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Time is what causes the chaos we see in the universe. Planets and stars spiraling every which way, asteroids hitting planets, stars exploding and being born, planets being formed and demolished, etc.

Time is what constitutes the past and future, the now is not time, it is the fixation of what time shows. Something being fixed in place is what constitutes order, something moving every which way is what constitutes chaos.

No worries though, we each have our own opinions on different things. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying I disagree.

edit on 2/16/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
The past is no more
The future not born
The moment is timeless ...... yet already gone
Nothing lasts forever
All must change

Just the nature of life itself unfolding

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ThereIsNoHandle

Time being an arrow brings to mind Zeno's paradox of the arrow. It is very relevant to the OP.

If everything when it occupies an equal space is at rest, and if that which is in locomotion is always occupying such a space at any moment, the flying arrow is therefore motionless.

- Aristotle

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Time is a model born from human psychology, it isn't anything. You could say it's order as time is stopping everything happening at once (to our perspective), or you could say it is chaos because everything is in a constant state of flux from one moment to the next. It's just a measurement used by the mind.
edit on 16-2-2015 by Alushe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Nice OP! Right on! I love Eckhart Tolle who also has this message. Check him out on You Tube. PEACE

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Stop living in the past and looking forward into the future, see what is happening right NOW and you will see perfection playing out every moment of every day.

You must sit a lot. If we don't "look forward into the future", we walk off cliffs.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Maybe if you were focused on what is here right now, you wouldn't have walked to the edge of the cliff in the first place. If I'm seeing now, I am seeing that cliff and I choose not to walk toward it. If you're preoccupied with the past or future you may walk off the cliff before realizing it is happening in the now.

I know you won't understand though. No offense, but you're one of the more close-minded individuals I've come across on these boards. If you don't believe it or see it, you will never even try to consider it. Your mind is made up and no one can sway it, so it is pointless continuing this exchange.

Thanks for chiming in though.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Maybe if you were focused on what is here right now, you wouldn't have walked to the edge of the cliff in the first place. If I'm seeing now, I am seeing that cliff and I choose not to walk toward it. If you're preoccupied with the past or future you may walk off the cliff before realizing it is happening in the now.

How would you know falling off a cliff would hurt if you didn't consider the past?

No offence taken. Insults are a sign of the weak minded.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

The past was the now at some point you know. I learn my lessons in the now, not the past or future.

My instincts are what tell me falling is painful. Even babies who have no experience of falling have anxiety of heights.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

This may sound strange but even the "past" I have considered as also being "now"

And the future is like a murky pond or partly cloudy sky, you can perceive some things but
it is not set in stone. Many variables. Before there was a concept of time you had the primordial
waters or like you mentioned already, Chaos. And it became organized, order.

0 - 1

2, the fork in the road, duality
duality unchecked is chaos. the serpent undulates rapidly(rapid vibration)
however, without it there would be no progress at all, only stagnation... and, possibly, infinite boredom

ps, I love Zeno's paradox btw

edit on 16-2-2015 by ThereIsNoHandle because: forgot to add

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Fear of heights is learned. Since reason is out of the question here, I agree it is pointless continuing this exchange.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ThereIsNoHandle

The past is just a previous iteration of the now, so in that way it is the now, just no longer present in that form. So I agree with you in that sense.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

You must sit a lot. If we don't "look forward into the future", we walk off cliffs.

Hah, good point

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   

yes!

like another version of what is

lovely

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Ever heard of the "visual cliff" experiment? It was an experiment that involved babies being set on a glass table with checkerboard pattern underneath one half and nothing underneath the other, giving the illusion that there was a cliff. The babies would crawl on the checkerboard pattern easily but when they came to the "edge" they became hesitant, slapped the glass to make sure it was solid, and moved slower than they did on the checkerboard pattern.

This infers to me that fear of heights is an innate instinct, not something that is learned.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join