It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FCC, FEC look to ruin the Internet • Tammy Bruce • Ajit Pai

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: greencmp
a reply to: Aazadan

To paraphrase, if I understand correctly, you are saying:

You trust the vast majority of corporations who are allied with an unelected committee operating on secret orders from the executive branch.

Can you not see what possible harm there could be?

No, but I trust that if we keep the market open and fair, and that control of the networks remains somewhat in control of the people that the internet will remain well off.

To play devil's advocate for the moment, I do believe that Verizon raises some legitimate points, most notably that it's unfair for Netflix to use up 50% of their total bandwidth pushing the remaining 99.999% of customers to divvy up the remainder. As streaming video grows this problem will only get worse.

This is an issue that we need to address, but attacking Net Neutrality isn't the way to go about doing that.

But the internet has never been in the control of the people and this bill does nothing to change that, that much I can assure you without reading it.

This bill will put control of the previously open and free internet directly into the control of the state at the behest of the most powerful companies in the industry, not the people.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I'll agree that most of the time the government screws things up when it gets involved. Net Neutrality, however, is not one of those times.

Who is the "government"? Well, it's made up of people like you and me. Yes, like you and me. There are tens of thousands of people that work Federal and local state/city jobs. Some politicians actually don't come from money. The government is made of people, and run on the behest of the people.

Sometimes ballot initiatives get voted on and change the laws because of public opinion!

I would rather the internet be regulated by the government -- which by definition is run for and by the people (ideally) than a soulless corporation with nothing but profit as a motivator.
edit on 24-2-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

It actually was at one time, until we gave them 200 billion dollars as an incentive to monopolize, and then built them a network and gave it to the new monopolies as a reward for doing so. Access to the network is no longer in the hands of the people, but how data is treated on that network is. Classifying the internet under title 2 keeps that control in the hands of the people.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Well, if you ever look at a "map" of the internet, Level 3 pretty much controls everything. . .

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join