It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ignorance Is Multiplying: Lawmaker Opposes Education Funding: "It would go to Blacks"

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Mississippi needs to start up a state Lottery like Florida did to fund the schools a lot better. This below is also a huge problem.

Sen. David Jordan, D-Greenwood, said MAEP was put into law because "some counties and some school districts were just rock-bottom poor."

blog.gulflive.com...

MAEP was put into law in 1997, So its not a race issue!! All the schools are in the same boat financially since the better doing neighborhoods were made to fund the not so well areas as well. However this is a constant problem since the not so well areas keep draining the system by producing more kids on average, being born in that area with little to show for it in tax dollars being generated by the parents.

I can see why some parents would be angry to see what little money there is wasted on failing schools when other schools produce decent students year in and out with the same amount of money. Most Parents want the best schooling possible for their kids so to see their schools suffer because other areas are draining the money has to be upsetting them big time.

Sadly in this world of Politically correct gone mad and Affirmative action in our Universities train wreck there is no simple way to address this problem other than pumping as much money as possible into the system.

I know I would have said the same thing this guy did in the article after seeing more brilliant people not accepted to Universities just so lesser intelligent minorities could get their place. Having seen this happen to friends of mine that is.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Lets talk about uneducated white republicans next, eh? The think Latin is the same language as Spanish, they "...don't need no liberal education..." They think the sun revolves around the earth and that the earth is only 6,000 years old.

Just saying that you can talk about learning being the NOT cool thing to do for any demographic and I can point out exceptions to any demographic you but forth.

It's not that they view learning as the "not cool" thing. It has become part of the culture of predominantly black ghettos that education is a "white" activity, so they don't want to pursue it. It is the majority perception of blacks living in the ghetto.

Just like I challenged the other poster, interview any teacher who has had to work in a school in any predominantly black area where poverty is a problem.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: LewsTherinThelamon

You misunderstand the point I'm making.

The loan part was a seperate but similar argument.

Put those taxes into schools and less people will end up on welfare.

More people will end up paying taxes in the future that go towards more education and welfare for those who need it.

Oh yes, that would work extremely well, but at the same time, you have to cultivate a desire for education, too.

A person who does not want to learn will not, no matter what race they are.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Iknowthatfeelbro

Lets say that a family makes 480 dollars a month. In this fantasy world anyone under 500 gets Foodstamps (EBT). The next year that family makes 505 dollars a month. They lose those bonuses, say a few hundred dollars of EBT. Thus making it fair easier to just stay poor and collect said help from the government.

Don't forget a free phone lol. Oh and don't forget about the illegals that are smothering our schools. I would bet money that if you removed every illegal family in Mississippi then they would have their money they need. Illegals are a massive drain on every states bank account.

They need to mandate that these poor people get mandatory birth control, they are making the problem ten times worse by having kids they cant afford JUST so they can get more money!!!

A girlfriend of mine who lives in North Carolina, of all places works in the Labor and Delivery department of the best hospital in the state. Every time I call her and ask her what she is doing, she says wrapping little Burritos lol. She has the cutest little voice so hearing her say it is funny as hell. They are flat overwhelmed in just that hospital alone with Illegals popping out kids and guess who is paying for most of it.

Yep, we are and its bullcrap!

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Agree with you fully there.

As well as making education more readily available, not just a school, but the full works with passionate teachers...
Teachers that will help young children find their niche instead of drilling information into their heads, by the time secondary school arrives it will be easier to branch out with different subjects.

I also believe along with Maths, English and Science...
Politics should be a mandatory lesson...

They're the 4 things a grown up is guaranteed to need, but the first 3 make a decent wage slave...
The 4th option creates an intelligent voter, so it is no surprise that it's not taught from a young age.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Yep, most think they can go get the cash they need quick by getting out of school and working at Burger King or selling Dope. They have a very defeatist attitude unless their parents are smart enough to either raise them right or beat it out of them. When I say they I mean kids today in general. I know a white boy who had it very very hard as a foster kid with learning disabilities and being bi-polar. His foster mother was fairly well off yet she never took the time to make sure he was in school and learning right, he started hanging out with the black kids and in two years time went from a good kid to a punk and in jail. I tried everything to get through to him besides knock him out lol.
Every time he would get frustrated or mad he would start talking like a hood rat, I wanted to knock the crap out of him so bad one day as he was 17 and itching at my last nerve by sneaking off to do drugs with his black friends when I was taking care of him. That was after his foster mom had a nervous break down and I had to step in to get custody before they tried to send him across the state to live with a black family of ten in a 2000 square foot house again like they did before I found out his mom had flipped out and had him taken away.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   
So i guess this isn't the place to bring up my opinion that schools arent teaching what kids need to know but what our slavemasters need them to know? You know.. Sit down and shut up, get up and go to work, reproduce and consume, and most importantly never question the man with the whip. Good family values.

I think we all know these childrens biggest problems is their home lives and their community. They could transplant a Bel Air highschool campus straight into that place and it would go to hell within a year.

That said, i cant stand racists like this. They are the worst kind of people. Are they dying off? Mmmm thats debatable. I'm not real into the teen scene but i know plenty of people in their 20s and early 30s who are exactly this brand of stupid.

I'm moving out of Oklahoma and to Oregon THIS WEEKEND (THANK YOU GOD) because of exactly this type of crap. I'm sick of being stuck in a wasteland full of racists and drug addicts and just general stupidity. This is my home and I'm ashamed of the way most of the people around here are. I've been to MS. It's a lot like here. I can't take it anymore. For my own sanity i have to leave and never look back.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Politics should be a mandatory lesson...

Bad idea. The democrats are already forcing their communist beliefs on them bad enough.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
a reply to: Metallicus

If you could not understand that simple sentence, you never . . . will.

I understand the words. I don't see the correlation between the American Dream and Death. Could you explain the relationship between having opportunity/success Vs. death? There is no logical connection.
edit on 2015/2/17 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Patriotsrevenge
a reply to: TonyS

Mississippi needs to start up a state Lottery like Florida did to fund the schools a lot better. This below is also a huge problem.

Sen. David Jordan, D-Greenwood, said MAEP was put into law because "some counties and some school districts were just rock-bottom poor."

blog.gulflive.com...

MAEP was put into law in 1997, So its not a race issue!! All the schools are in the same boat financially since the better doing neighborhoods were made to fund the not so well areas as well. However this is a constant problem since the not so well areas keep draining the system by producing more kids on average, being born in that area with little to show for it in tax dollars being generated by the parents.

I can see why some parents would be angry to see what little money there is wasted on failing schools when other schools produce decent students year in and out with the same amount of money. Most Parents want the best schooling possible for their kids so to see their schools suffer because other areas are draining the money has to be upsetting them big time.

Sadly in this world of Politically correct gone mad and Affirmative action in our Universities train wreck there is no simple way to address this problem other than pumping as much money as possible into the system.

I know I would have said the same thing this guy did in the article after seeing more brilliant people not accepted to Universities just so lesser intelligent minorities could get their place. Having seen this happen to friends of mine that is.

This is the reason in my experience that some of the best schools in MS are private schools. Pillow Academy, Madison Ridgeland Academy and others. They have even started many hybrid schools like New Summit that use online education and a private school setting. This is because the public schools are an abyss and like prisons are simply perpetuating some horrible youth culture. I will give them this though most of the public schools require uniforms which I have always considered to be something of a proper step to removing youth culture and focusing on education. Unfortunately like many posters have stated their home lives just lead right back to a sort of self fulfilling prophecy of poverty, violence, drug use, and incarceration. This goes for impoverished whites and blacks.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I don't think he should get off the hook for what he said, he obviously meant it and was being honest. It is ignorance to base one's lawmaking off of racism and generalizations. He is trying to oppose increasing the education budget. Education is one of the most awesome budgets. He could have used more education himself, in fact.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   

It's not that they view learning as the "not cool" thing. It has become part of the culture of predominantly black ghettos that education is a "white" activity, so they don't want to pursue it.It is the majority perception of blacks living in the ghetto.

*sigh*, where to begin. This is exactly the kind of attitude that is no different from the politicians. I suppose I just have to accept your assessment due to your professional knowledge in the subject of "blacks in the ghetto". I have no intention in leveling accusations or name calling, I just plead that you actually visit communities and mingle with the people you are casting a broad based profile and judgement upon. Dont give me fear mongering talking points or statistics compiled from law enforcement data reports.

Just give yourself the courage to interact with your fellow humans who are different on the surface only, like many others in the world. Do not allow the propaganda owned by six companies/(families???) to tell you how to judge and think about different people in different communities, and cast blame on entire communities without ever even putting yourself to meet.

I dont mean go to your local known D-block or trap house and tell me how badly you were treated either. Visit the schools. Visit the churches. Visit the community centers, if the municipality ever allocated money for such a nice thing in that community that is. Shop in their stores. Just take a chance that maybe, maybe what you have seen, heard, and read does not represent entire communities. Does not represent an entire people. It does not represent a skin color, or ethnicity, or a religion, or a sexual orientation. Just ignore what the media(propaganda) is telling you on how to form your thought process about xyz, and jump into the world it scares you away from head first and really know who and what your community is.

If you can find the courage to take that risk, the human race may have a surprise for you yet.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I taught HS math/science 3 years. The liberals run the show and required I teach low to high IQ's in the same class. We used two curves for A-F, one centered on about 80 and the other about 30. There were students that could not read but I had to pass; no way could they learn 70% of the assigned text. The first 70% of questions on a test were so easy a 5th grader should have gotten them. If I tried to stop cheating, the Principal would call me in for a lecture. Planning paperwork was a nightmare. All the troublemakers were my fault and responsibility. There is a lot of teacher time wasted on other sports etc duties. The quality of teachers is often low. I don't think the public schools can be reformed but vouchers have the potential to improve the educations of the educable. The best way to raise the academic scores of failing schools is to pay White and Asian parents to send their children there. Class size and cash are unimportant compared to discipline, standards and teacher IQ's.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: LewsTherinThelamon

originally posted by: Indigo5

originally posted by: LewsTherinThelamon
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

His rationale is that education funding for children in black families is pointless.

It is pointless.

To understand why, though, you would have to actually spend time in an all black, inner-city school as an educator to understand why.

Black culture looks down upon education because learning is the "white" thing to do.

I think you win the ignorance prize on this thread.

Congrats! There was definitely some stiff competition.

I am speaking from experience, that would be the opposite of ignorance. Ignorance is not knowing what you're talking about and accusing others of being ignorant.

I challenge you to go teach at in an all black, inner-city school and see how receptive your pupils are. Or, interview teachers that have.

But that would be too hard, wouldn't it?

My wife has done just that for 15 years now. Most rewarding career she could ever imagine. I visit the class whenever I need a pick-me-up. Kids full of wonder and innate joy.

Sidenote: She took a job at well-to-do white school nearby for 1 year and returned to her current school (predominately African American and poor) after the school year was up. It was a year of self-involved parents, grade schoolers with I-phones and facebook accounts bullying one another, disengaged kids feeling entitled and every parent thinking their child was the second coming and never did anything wrong. It almost sapped her enthusiasm for teaching.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: roberthsiddelljr

No offense...but it sounds like you were not made to be a teacher. Your rant seemed to blame everyone for the failure for your class to learn, but you...the teacher. Glad you have moved on to another career where hopefully you are feeling more rewarded.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   

He's making a correct statement but wording it too bluntly, I know everything needs to be softened for whiny ATSers but i'll try to follow through here.

Almost every area within in the United States which is predominantly black consists of:

Disproportionate crime rate
Disproportionate abortion rate
Disproportionate welfare issuance

School funding does not solve these problems, I don't even think jobs falling from the sky will solve these problems. It isn't the fault of the African-Americans either, it is the generation they have been born into. They have been coddled by the government for their entire lifetimes, and told they are owed something. Compare civil-rights marches for "equality" (which is something I wholeheartedly agree with) to what the cause is today "you owe me." It isn't right, but the attitude is encouraged. No school deserves funding because the students are black, also our public schooling system is such a sham we know without a doubt that throwing more money at it solves nothing. That seems to be stuck in the mind for a lot of people here, throwing more money at a problem does not fix it - especially the plight of being a black male in America. We have been doing it for years via welfare and it has done nothing but keep them down.

Why do I have such a harsh opinion on this? I used to work in public housing, I saw government money squandered every single day and accomplish NOTHING. Just like handing someone a check, or school funding, handing them a house doesn't make them want to work much harder or better themselves either.

I know I know "racist!" "bigot!" Go ahead, get it out of your system, pat yourself on the back for being so "open-minded."

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
Not that I'm agreeing with this fool cuz I'm not. But will giving the schools, let's say twice as much funding as they have now make any difference in how well Johnny can read?

THIS ^^^ I absolutely agree with as far as school funding in general goes. The standard American educational machine is entirely broken. Throwing good money after bad fixes nothing. Unfortunately (or perhaps conveniently) most politicians who make this fact a talking point also manage to do it while incorporating racism or some other modern socially unacceptable negativity that becomes the talking point in the media and among the people, while the actual issue ("Are we wasting money on schools as they stand today?") goes without any further discussion.

It is a vicious cycle and it is purely political.
A. Schools are failing
B. Uneducated people require more government assistance
C. More government assistance equals greater control over the assisted by the government
D. This also equals voters voting for their "meal ticket" to make sure they keep getting their handouts
E. This leads to higher taxes for both the handouts and more school funding to "address" failing schools.
F. Return to A

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I'm just gonna go ahead and say it, as someone who has spent most of my adult life in Mississippi, I can tell you that there is a large portion of our population that wants nothing to do with our stale a$$ kracka klukin... and they come in all colors.
Throwing money at the problem won't fix anything.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
indigo5: I was a military officer for 12 years before teaching, had the best class discipline, had the only math & science BS degree on the staff, scored higher on the state certification test than recent education graduates, was made head of the science dept my first year, etc, and several students said I was the best teacher they ever had and a genius (not). You strike me as a liberal because you find no fault in the school's policies and place blame for any failures on me. I did apply at several other schools but was not hired because I am not Black or a coach and because my school Principal told them I was too hard. I then had a career with the Bureau of Labor Statistics which was easier and paid a lot more.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   

the guy is just stating what his people are thinking.
its not his fault that every handout and welfare program these people get dont
do them any good they never get off welfare in fact they have more kids and then
create generational welfare ..so i wouldnt give money for education to the black communities
either ..........Now education would be good for them but you cant force some one to learn.
like you cant make a horse drink you can lead it to water .

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join