It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ignorance Is Multiplying: Lawmaker Opposes Education Funding: "It would go to Blacks"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Dear Indigo5,

No, but third graders tend to grow up eventually. My comment was a response to some guy speculating whether the US would be better off without blacks. I'm assuming he's taking into consideration the crime statistics and dependence on government assistance associated with that particular ethnic group vs their contribution or benefit to the country.
edit on 16-2-2015 by Urantia1111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

originally posted by: Flatfish
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

The truly sad part is that more than likely, most of his republican constituency in Mississippi would agree with his statements. Off the record, of course.

And its ok for a black congress person on any level to advocate for their race in just about any fashion but don't let a white legislator complain about whites subsidizing the larger part of black education.

Personally, I don't think a white legislator should be complaining about whites subsidizing black education. Especially seeing how it was "whites" who actually passed legislation making it illegal for anyone to teach a black person to read or write in our nations formative years.

Seeing how it was "whites" who kidnapped them, enslaved them and then made it illegal to educate them, who do you think should bear the bulk of the burden?

And even if that were'nt true, is not providing an education to any child acceptable? Will raising a generation of idiots improve the welfare situation that republicans keep bitching about?

I seriously doubt it.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
People here have to realize the powers in America are white European descendents not black people or other minorities such as Native Americans.

Usually the people with power determine the effect that racism has on the country

The evils of racism in America here and now were created by white racism towards Africans and Native Americans and other minorities not the other way around.

Black people and other minorities are the victims and that oppression will show up in all kinds of ways particularly over the decades in education and social achievement.

That’s historical fact not theory

The thousands lynched were black people and most of the white people lynched were lynched because they tried to help the black people!

Just look at the conditions of Native Americans in America

That said no white person should feel guilty for the crimes of white people in the past

All that should be expected is understanding not guilt.

Understanding that a minority oppressed for centuries by first slavery and then decades of Jim Crow racism are going to have issues socially, psychologically, and other ways that the majority population that happens to be white will not have to a similar degree….All that is sociological and psychological reality

Here is the key macro statistic that back up what I say

The average wealth for a white person is 100 thousand dollars and for a black or Latino is 5 thousand dollars.

That statistic will show up in educational performance health issues and other barometers of social upheaval

In other words black people are still largely poor in America and education is a sign of that poverty and all the social and psychological impairments of that are reflected over the decades

As for Mississippi here is something glaringly significant:

JACKSON, Mississippi -- Despite strong state standards, Mississippi students are not catching up to the rest of the nation, ranking last in a school performance evaluation released Thursday.
blog.gulflive.com...

Again WHITE PEOPLE SHOULD NOT FEEL GUILTY but as citizens should try to understand social, political and historical realities that reflect on conditions that determine social achievement and societal problems like poverty and educational failures of certain communities in America.

edit on 16-2-2015 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

I wholeheartedly agree! Couldn't have stated it any better myself.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
"Stupid white men"? How about your racist comment? Lets just say racism knows no bounds. Yeah this politician is a racist moron. So whats your excuse OP?

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE
"Stupid white men"? How about your racist comment? Lets just say racism knows no bounds. Yeah this politician is a racist moron. So whats your excuse OP?

Of course the op can defend and speak for himself

But imo, what he’s saying is that the pernicious effects of racism are largely determined by who is in power…

For instance, if this were South Africa racism towards white people would have more affect on the society since there the majority of people there are black.

The problem with anti-Semitism in Israel is miniscule…why, other than their war with Palestinians the vast majority of the people are Jews so they have little to worry about other than their war with Palestinians

In WWII Germany it was entirely different…there
they were a vulnerable minority

Also I don’t agree the term “ stupid white racism” is a racist statement.

Just keep having babies and you’ll have nothing to worry about!

edit on 16-2-2015 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   

The truly sad part is that more than likely, most of his republican constituency in Mississippi would agree with his statements. Off the record, of course.

And its ok for a black congress person on any level to advocate for their race in just about any fashion but don't let a white legislator complain about whites subsidizing the larger part of black education.

Personally, I don't think a white legislator should be complaining about whites subsidizing black education. Especially seeing how it was "whites" who actually passed legislation making it illegal for anyone to teach a black person to read or write in our nations formative years.

I was going to post something about the old laws prohibiting the teaching of blacks but didn't because I was just sure it was going to come up.

All this being said and taken into consideration then it is clear that the folks tasked with educating blacks should be charged with maleficence for running a tax money laundering system rather than an education system. Not to mention purposefully and willingfully engaging in sub par education in order to always demand more money for the gravy train.

This trail would end up not a the door step of "conservative" white folks but black and white liberal educators who have been in charge of black education and curriculum for years now. These have been perpetuating the stereotype because the product sells and give impetus to demands for more tax money.

And naturally blame would have to be distributed to the blacks themselves. Most notably black parents. After all its been 50 years now since the "Great Society" has been in full machination. Billions have been poured into the effort and still after 50 years "whitey" is indicted even though the educational process itself has long been out of the hands of anything that could be considered conservative.
edit on 16-2-2015 by Logarock because: n

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111
Dear Indigo5,

No, but third graders tend to grow up eventually. My comment was a response to some guy speculating whether the US would be better off without blacks. I'm assuming he's taking into consideration the crime statistics and dependence on government assistance associated with that particular ethnic group vs their contribution or benefit to the country.

OK Then...

I would point out that "statistics on Dependence" show a majority of Non-African Americans benefiting from those programs.

I would also argue that Crime Statistics are a function of economics, not skin color or ethnicity.

Which might lead to the question of why are African Americans disproportionately suffering economic depression/oppression in this country...which leads to a more accurate debate IMO about the socio-economic effects and multi-generational consequences of an entire race in the United States having been segregated, disenfranchised and oppressed as long as they were.

We have advanced enough in science and biology to understand that there is nothing about skin tone that dictates any quality that matters to success. Economics? Multi-generational cultures of economic suffering and measures of hopelessness? How to break those cycles..

I would argue that grade school is a good a place to start as any...

And this racist dufus in the OP is on the wrong side of the solution.

Just my 2 cents..

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

Dear Indigo5,

OK Then...

Which might lead to the question of why are African Americans disproportionately suffering economic depression/oppression in this country...which leads to a more accurate debate IMO about the socio-economic effects and multi-generational consequences of an entire race in the United States having been segregated, disenfranchised and oppressed as long as they were.

We would have to ask here why many West Africans come to the US with such a command of the English language as a product of the most humble educational conditions compared to ours? In many cases their early education was conducted with chalk boards only, in what is near the equivalent to the old american one room school house.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Black people and other minorities are the victims

Typical liberal hypocrisy that sees blacks and minorities as nothing but victims.

That is the TRUE racism.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

This trail would end up not a the door step of "conservative" white folks but black and white liberal educators who have been in charge of black education and curriculum for years now.

Really? If I'm not mistaken, most of the textbooks utilized in public schools across this nation originate from The Texas State Board Of Education and if you think that board isn't made up of a bunch of conservative white Bible thumpers, you have another "think" coming.

And naturally blame would have to be distributed to the blacks themselves. Most notably black parents. After all its been 50 years now since the "Great Society" has been in full machination. Billions have been poured into the effort and still after 50 years "whitey" is indicted even though the educational process itself has long been out of the hands of anything that could be considered conservative.

I currently know some black parents who can't read or write to this day. How is that parent supposed to provide any assistance to their child with homework, etc.?

It' not fair to blame the parent when they are incapable of teaching their kids something they, themselves don't understand.

It takes generations to fix a problem like this one. As a matter of fact it usually takes generations to fix most problems caused by right wing conservatism.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: JustACoincidence

originally posted by: TonyS

originally posted by: Rocker2013

I disagree that the situation is becoming worse. This is generally the generation that grew up with massive bigotry and racism in the southern states (and elsewhere) and it is diminishing on the whole.

Just look at ignorance in general, it is declining. There will always be backwater sh*t holes where lack of education and religious delusions are still creating an indoctrinated youth, but these are always diminishing. Even in fifty years there will still be some places where the level of intelligence is far lower than the national average.

Societies are moving on, they are evolving, and cretins like this man are becoming an extreme minority.

I have to agree with you; as this generation of OWM, "Old White Men" dies off the situation could and should get far better for the majority of the country. Demographics is destiny and latest stats I heard were to the effect that "whites" will be a minority group by 2030 with no one group representing a racial majority. How long that will last, I don't know.

That is going to be such a hostile environment for white people. It's amazing how fast white people are becoming a minority in their own countries.

I used to live in Europe; grew up there as an expat, Dad was military. And I still have quite a few friends there. My European friends simply marvel at the situation in the US. They can't quite imagine what its like to live in the US environment. The race problem could quite well tear the US apart except for the fact that a sizable number of whites in the US have obviously internalized the idea that if they just run faster on the treadmill, make just enough money, they can escape the problem by moving ever further away from the cities and leave the "urban" problems to the "urbans". The racial environment in the US is already quite hostile to whites, but they refuse to acknowledge it. The media buries the truth for fear of what might happen if the "whites" got it. I don't think a majority of what's left of the white population will ever get it, until...its too late.

Ultimately, with globalization and open borders, as the conditions in the US worsen, I postulate that the cream of the crop of whites will orchestrate the ultimate bug out. They'll come to realize that in a world wide "technocracy" they can live practically anywhere and pursue their careers in peace and quiet and without fear of the "other". The white elites are already "helicopter" citizens of the world; I'd expect much the same to happen to the top 25% performers of the US white population.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Urantia1111

The politician making these comments is a racist fool. But stripe all the political correctness and appeasing and apologizing aside and you will see some pretty big issues inside the Black culture as a whole. Many would consider what I just said racist but truly it is not.

Generational poverty mixed with poor leadership and a break down of the Black family has lead us here. Now people are starting to wonder if helping is doing just that. Look at the amount of money spent to help Africa feed themselves and fight AIDs. Did it work or was it a failure? Personally I think they need leaders like Mr. King to stop this cycle of self enslavement.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   

While I think we can all agree that the attitude of this public servant is abhorrent, I fail to see how categorizing Mississippi as a "bastion of inbreed intolerance" is constructive.

Tell me, what are your thoughts on Alabama, Kentucky, and Tennessee? Care to label anyone else an inbreed?

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: notquitesure

Thank you. I feel the same way. Unfortunately, stories like this are picked up and glamorized when it happens in Mississippi. It's it wrong? Absolutely! I strongly disagree with this politician and his racist ideas. As a lifelong resident of the state of Mississippi however, I take extreme issue with making ignorant generalizations such as that. Things aren't perfect here. Guess what? They aren't perfect anywhere else either.

I agree this guy needs to go. I also agree that the welfare system in general needs a major overhaul. And I also believe that our school school system needs more accountability, along other things. To resort to name calling is both childish and irresponsible.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Bigots with little power are bad news, but in the long run the people at the top sapping everybody equally are of far greater concern. This equals to a scuffle within the slave class which is only seen as a problem by the people at the top when it disrupts business.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

Dear Indigo5,

OK Then...

We would have to ask here why many West Africans come to the US with such a command of the English language as a product of the most humble educational conditions compared to ours? In many cases their early education was conducted with chalk boards only, in what is near the equivalent to the old american one room school house.

We wouldn't "have to ask" that question? Why?

But as long as you are asking that question...

Recent immigrants from West Africa are taught English as a relic of English Colonialism...

They are not speaking "American"...they are speaking "English"...

American English includes accents and dialects from Bostonian (Irish and Italian influence) to Cajun (Acadian French) to Appalachian to the Heavy Southern Drawl to Wisc/Minnesoata/UP Michigan derived from German/Swiss "Hey der"...The list is near endless..

I have travelled all over this country and often found myself not understanding a word that was spoken, but not once thought less of that person due to what I perceived as the peculiarities of their speech. I always see America's cultural diversity as a strength.

Is it your intent to deride anyone not speaking the Kings English? To me that seems pointedly anti-American, but to each their own.

edit on 17-2-2015 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: OrphanApology
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

Yeah I gotta agree with this.

I was home schooled and all of our materials put together cost less than 100 bucks per year(not counting my mother's free labor of course).

A mother's labor?...Priceless

Part of the issue there is that ever since the early eighties, women joined the workforce en masse...which people expected to be a huge boost to quality of life in this country, but instead the economic rewards for labor output declined to accommodate. In many regions of the country both parents are required to work in order to sustain a middle class living. Thus the advent of Latch-key Kids and the day care center boom etc. etc. It's not specific to women, but more to the fact that "Dual-Income" rapidly went from a luxury to necessity for many or most in this country.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

I think your confusion stems from the idea that somehow African Americans are not equal citizens?

" whites subsidizing the larger part of black education." ???
How about we work to educate Americans and not divide by skin tone?

"And its ok for a black congress person on any level to advocate for their race "
It's expected of any congressman to abide by the constitution that "all men are created equal" and call out discrimination in policy, words and practice.

The fact that you perceive anyone shining a light on ignorance, racism or discrimination as "Advocating" for a race rather than "Advocating" for equality..speaks to a way of thinking that you would do well to examine.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Literacy is a major issue in MS. Having lived there for nearly 10 years I met more adults who were illiterate than anywhere else. I have an in law who has gone his whole life being illiterate and I had co-workers who amazingly could hold down dangerous jobs with safety protocols and such that I would not believe possible for someone who is illiterate. Poverty is a major reason for this. Some towns literally have no jobs and require commuting up to 2hrs or more away simply to work. Hospitals can take 45 mins to reach in the delta. Children are forced to choose meager jobs that are available and end up dropping out of school . One of the highest drop out rates int he country. Highest in teen pregnancy, obesity, and other negative aspects. People used to joke at meals with their children with comments like "finish your food there are children starving in Itta Bena. " which was only 30 minutes away.

MS is pretty much broken and the culture is divided along race still. Ironically it is not just the whites who are guilty of this. Places like Cleveland, MS near the MS river are basically segregated when it comes to school and the black teachers and students not only encourage this but have thrived to some degree due to it. In Greenwood, MS where few jobs exist business has tried to move in and develop but the city council comprised mostly of blacks have instituted some weird demands in the past in order for business to setup shop there. Demands like quotas on the number of blacks that are hired. I recall Lowes wanting to move there at one time but chose another city because they did not like being forced to hire people if they deemed them unqualified (this is not to say blacks are unqualified but quotas would nurture hiring people not based on quality or performance but race). Some of the universities being "black schools" accept whites on minority scholarships.

It is a pretty strange place. There are many good people there but the culture in areas is a product of its history and mindsets that have yet to die/change.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join