It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers loot Banks for over 1 billion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
www.cbc.ca...

Here we have some enterprising hackers..........................
Over a billion dollars scammed from banks in multiple countries....The article explains they take about ten million then move on to a different victim bank.....
Coincidently theres a movie about a similar setup where the hackers took mere pennies from every transaction and got away with a like amount......
If the banks are this porous,it would seem to be a good plan to hide your dough under your mattress.............
Somehow I doubt these crooks will get caught either.....

Most of the targets have been in Russia, the U.S., Germany, China and Ukraine, although the attackers may be expanding throughout Asia, the Middle East, Africa and Europe, Kaspersky says. In one case, a bank lost $7.3 million through ATM fraud. In another case, a financial institution lost $10 million by the attackers exploiting its online banking platform.
edit on 16-2-2015 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
www.cbc.ca...

Here we have some enterprising hackers..........................
Over a billion dollars scammed from banks in multiple countries....The article explains they take about ten million then move on to a different victim bank.....
Coincidently theres a movie about a similar setup where the hackers took mere pennies from every transaction and got away with a like amount......
If the banks are this porous,it would seem to be a good plan to hide your dough under your mattress.............
Somehow I doubt these crooks will get caught either.....

That's no mere movie you're thinking about.

It was an actual crime, during the 80's (if I remember correctly), where they found transactions that resulted in numbers out to three decimals being rounded down to the nearest decimal place, and the bank was conveniently keeping the extra half cent. They wrote programs that would take that extra half cent and transfer it to their own banking accounts. They stole it from the banks who stole it from the account holders.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: stirling

Anything that disrupts the hilariousness we call an economy im all for.

Monopoly is freaking dumb anyways.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides

That's no mere movie you're thinking about.

It was an actual crime, during the 80's (if I remember correctly), where they found transactions that resulted in numbers out to three decimals being rounded down to the nearest decimal place, and the bank was conveniently keeping the extra half cent. They wrote programs that would take that extra half cent and transfer it to their own banking accounts. They stole it from the banks who stole it from the account holders.

It was in Superman with Richard Pryor doing it.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnuTyr

Thats what im saying. I'm not even close to outraged, in fact im almost impressed.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
The idea that the banking security systems in place are this porous is unsettling to say the least....
In fact whats to stop the banks themselves from hacking their own systems to do similar thefts....?
Who would know best where and how to do it....
Seeing the criminal activity engaged in by these institutions,....like laundering billions for drug cartels, Illegally foreclosing on mortgages, even causing the 2008 meltdown with their phoney security scam....helping tax cheats hide their dough, and who the hell knows what all......It appears the banks need to be nationalised and the private ownership of such rapacious organisations banned.....
Perhaps we could set up electronic banks that have zero human involvement and cant be hacked somehow....
I always knew this online banking and other E transactions, were risky but this is just too much....
The current system of banking needs a huge overhaul...................

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
The banking system has been overhauled. Ask anybody that had been in the banking industry since 911. The federal government is to blame for the way banks operate.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

I didn't say it wasn't from a movie, rather than, it wasn't MERELY from a movie.

It happened in real life.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
The idea that the banking security systems in place are this porous is unsettling to say the least....
In fact whats to stop the banks themselves from hacking their own systems to do similar thefts....?
Who would know best where and how to do it....
Seeing the criminal activity engaged in by these institutions,....like laundering billions for drug cartels, Illegally foreclosing on mortgages, even causing the 2008 meltdown with their phoney security scam....helping tax cheats hide their dough, and who the hell knows what all......It appears the banks need to be nationalised and the private ownership of such rapacious organisations banned.....
Perhaps we could set up electronic banks that have zero human involvement and cant be hacked somehow....
I always knew this online banking and other E transactions, were risky but this is just too much....
The current system of banking needs a huge overhaul...................

Agreed!

Hacking has been going on since the invention of the internet.

The timing of all of these "incidents" of late seem mighty suspicious with the upcoming internet legislation, don't you think?

Problem/Reaction/ Solution

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

Actually, the movie they did that in was office space.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Hey Stirling, It's been going on for quite a while now. I know of cases where The Targeted Banks are allowed to just pay protection money to hackers who then leave them alone. It's cheaper than the high priced Computer Security Companies who have some employees who move seamlessly from The Hacker Side To The Security Side of things without any thought or loss of income manifesting itself from being laid off. LOL Good Luck to these cyber sleuths recovering this $$$ IOW, There's No Good Guys or Bad Guys, they all know each other and kinda just play at The Spy Vs Spy Thing. Just to keep the money flowing
Arjunanda a reply to: stirling

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I have come to a similar conclusion Arjunanda....
The herd is like a resource to these criminals....
I can see the virus protection thing getting stale and the cyber security workers creating more business for themselves too....
Those who know how the system works can and do manipulate it for personal gain....Its a common theme ....
Goes to show...If you are in...youre in....
The rest of us are out....out of pocket out of options and out of luck.....
edit on 16-2-2015 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Whats worrying, is we found out, how much money has been lost/stolen and never reported??

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnuTyr

I like you. Literally could not have said it better myself.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides
a reply to: Xtrozero

I didn't say it wasn't from a movie, rather than, it wasn't MERELY from a movie.

It happened in real life.

If it isn't in a movie it doesn't count...;p

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Supposedly a false flag, to push through internet fascism bill.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Maybe the intelligence community should quit spying on average people and start locating criminals such as these. It's not like the internet is some secret, hidden land. Most technical people know how it works.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

I am trying to get a hold of you to ask you since you are so active on Ukraine Russia threads

Does Budapest memorandum protect Ukraine from foreign backed revolutions and coups

Than you for your time

new topics

top topics

join