It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National license right around the corner?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
well more and more evidence is stacking up that it is on the verge of happening. lets see what comes of it people, could it be another step in the big picture. if this is in the wrong spot mods. go ahead and move it but let me know in a u2u message where you move it. thx.

here is a link to this interesting article.
aolsvc.news.aol.com...

WASHINGTON � The anti-terrorism bill to be signed by President Bush on Friday opens the door for people across the nation to have similar driver's licenses, a plan that is fueling a debate over whether security concerns will lead to what amounts to a national identification card.

The bill, which largely is aimed at improving the nation's intelligence-gathering operations, instructs the departments of Homeland Security and Transportation to meet with the nation's governors and state motor vehicle administrators to set uniform security standards for driver's licenses within 18 months

[edit on 16-12-2004 by joe751]

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   
The more I think about this idea, the more I like it. I think maybe all citizens should be issued a badge with some holographic image on it, like the Great Seal. They could be produced by the US Mint and serialized and have the citizen's thumbprint cast on the inside surface, making them impossible to counterfeit.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Now, aren't there countries where there are already national ids? Are they living in totalitarian toil constantly tracked by illuminati reptiloids?

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Nygdan, fasten your seatbelt and enjoy the ride or go to camp. Just as i thought the right winged fanatics are all for anything "Bush" and the worse things get for our country the better they like it. I seriously think these people are masochistic to say the least.

Its so easy to fool the masses in this country and have them follow you around with a bible in one hand and a weapon on the other- Its so easy to take away all your freedoms and actually have people appreciate this .

What a bunch of fools.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Could you post a link where we don't have to sign into AOL? Thanks.

On topic, standardized drivers licenses are a good idea, IMO. I can drive my car in all 50 states, why not have the same standards apply in all states?

The anti-counterfeiting angle is a good idea, also. Remember that the 9/11 hijackers had over 60 drivers licenses between them. If this can stop that scenario from happening, I'm all for it.

Fears of a "national database" are unfounded, since states already have reciprocity agreements today. This is no different.

I'm not giving up any liberties by agreeing to this, though I'm sure there are those who will disagree with me.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Fears of a "national database" are unfounded, since states already have reciprocity agreements today. This is no different.

Those are voluntary agreements between the states (Wisconsin & Michigan the two not signed into the agreement), not blackmailed into it, like the federal government has set up now. If you were against the MATRIX in your state, this (Intel. Reform Bill) leaves the door open for a nationwide version.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Does the legislation institute a National ID system or does it simply provide for uniformed standards to be maintained by each individual state?

If it is the latter - what's the problem? I know because of my state's policy of issuing drivers licenses to illegal immigrants I have serious trouble when I travel in some states using it as ID.

What is the downside of having the States use the same uniformed policy when issuing driver's licenses? How does this effect civil liberties?

B.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by BeingWatchedByThem
Those are voluntary agreements between the states (Wisconsin & Michigan the two not signed into the agreement), not blackmailed into it, like the federal government has set up now.

But the states must have reasoned that there were advantages to entering into these agreements, so can't some of the same advantages apply here?

Do you have a specific objection to a nationwide drivers license?

It would be nice if we had a working link to the article cited by the thread author. Here is one source I have found:
www.usatoday.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
You know, I have mixed feelings about a national ID card. What really is the difference between state and federal in this instance?

Our state IDs and licenses have magnetic strips on them that store your record. One time my husband and I were in another state and we pulled into a parking lot to rest because we were on a long trip, and we were awakened by a local cop knocking on the window.
He was able to get our info from our licenses and find that we weren't doing anything and that we didn't have any warrants out for our arrests or anything--we were just out-of-state travellers taking a break.

He told us we just needed to move on. No big deal. He was nice about it. I explained that I needed to rest since it was dangerous for me to drive while tired.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Nygdan, fasten your seatbelt and enjoy the ride or go to camp. Just as i thought the right winged fanatics are all for anything "Bush" and the worse things get for our country the better they like it. I seriously think these people are masochistic to say the least.

Its so easy to fool the masses in this country and have them follow you around with a bible in one hand and a weapon on the other- Its so easy to take away all your freedoms and actually have people appreciate this .

What a bunch of fools.

Good Lord what does the Bible have to do with this?

Fact: This legislation was damn near unanimously passed by the Senate.

Fact: This legislation had 183 Yea votes as opposed to 8 Nea votes amongst Democrat members of the House.

Fact: The sole opposition to this bill was from House Republicans, 67 of them voted against it.

Fact: The Bill was co-sponsored by Joe Lieberman.

Fact: The amendment in question was added by John McCain who is far from a friend of the Bush White House and can barely be considered a Republican.

Fact: The ground works for a national ID was laid during the Bill Clinton administration:

Source
The establishment of a "national" drivers' license and birth certificate makes a mockery of the 10th amendment and the principles of federalism. While no state is "forced" to accept the federal standards, is it unlikely they will refuse to comply when such action would mean none of their residents could get a job, receive Social Security, leave the state by plane, or have access to medical care. So rather than imposing a direct mandate on the states, the federal government is blackmailing them into complying with federal dictates.

To overcome this "federalism" issue, in May 1998, Bill Clinton issued Executive Order 13083, "Federalism," which substantially redefined federalism as envisioned by our Founders, and the authors of our American Constitution. Set to become law on August 14th, EO 13083 mandates broad "exceptions" to those powers enumerated in the 10th Amendment, and justifies the abrogation of those powers by the federal government. A few of those exceptions are: "When there is a need for uniform national standards..." "When States have not adequately protected individual rights and liberties..." "When decentralization increases the costs of government..." "When States would be reluctant to impose necessary regulations..." and, "When placing regulatory authority at the State or local level would undermine [federal] regulatory goals..." Quite handy when he institutes National ID cards.

Now this is where I'll agree with you that Christians are being silly, they vote for George Bush who is only continuing what Bill Clinton was continuing that was started by their predecessors decades before - the formation of a police state.

This vile # that everyone is throwing at their "rivals" is foolish when you look at the facts and realize both sides are working towards the same means.

top topics

join