It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars One Picks 100 to Compete for One-Way Red Planet Trips

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: boohoo

originally posted by: sg1642
The world needs more people like this girl. These are the kind of stories that can restore some faith in humanity I suppose.

Actually we need LESS of these kinds of people, a LOT LESS. They are the ones that "grow up" and make horrible policies for regular people because they had things easy and were privileged in their childhood.

Here is her resume:

- Attended Space Camp 7 times, Space Academy 3 times and Robotics Academy 1 time
- The first person to complete all the NASA Space Camps in the world, including Space Camp Turkey and Space Camp Canada
- Witnessed 3 Space Shuttle launches
- Attended Sally Ride Camp at MIT, and three Sally Ride Day camps

How much did all the above cost?
Who paid for it?
Who chaperoned her to these sites?

Her space camp "bill" likely cost more than my car, possibly even more than some peoples homes.

Having the money to pursue the training, is all the "gumption" ANYBODY needs. Lets see how enthusiastic she would have been to pursue this training, if her parents said, "earn some money over the next two summers and then we will see how much you have and if we can afford to send you". THAT is the real dream killer.

Some also have noted that she was doing some "fund raising"? But didi't realize that the "fund raising" was for her "speaking tour", NOT to pay for the initial training, Daddy & Mommy paid for that part. Oh BTW, the "speaking tour" is for TED, so some relative likely has some decent connections too.

Once again it seems that "regular people" are just are not familiar with how "real experts" get trained today and move on to successful, stable careers in the United States. This kid is no different than all the other rich kids that have preceded her.

Actually, when I think about it, you're right I agree with that somewhat.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Borisbanger
a reply to: Kuroodo

Why should I think its illegal?

because its wrong to allow people to put them selves in a hopeless situation with out good cause or reason.

As far as I can see at the moment this is for entertainment.
If it was a serious endevour heaven and hell would be moved to ensure the voyagers safe return.

Sending voyagers one way means they are expendable

They are Volunteers.

What consenting adults do is not mine and your GD business.

You likely jealous cause unlike these brave pioneers who will go down in history (for good or bad reasons) your mundane life will likely be forgotten to history.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bybyots
The record for staying in space is 437 days.

That is in Zero gravity.

Mars has gravity albit a lot lot less.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Borisbanger

In fact I cant understand why its even lawful to invite people to exile them self with out hope of return.

If we truly want to be space pioneers and to colonise other planets......then somebody has to be first!

simple really.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
a reply to: lostbook

It may well be forever though. It hasn't ended well for anyone in the movies who's gone to Mars, has it? It's a risk for sure. One I would so not be willing to take.

My main drawback for going to Mars is for any pathogens and/or viruses which may be there. We just don't know what's there....maybe Mars life was wiped out by an organism eating super-bacteria or a super virus....I just don't know.

Unlikely to be a risk.

Normally pathogens have to have evolved round humans for millions of years.
Its very rare for a newly discovered Bactria species or Virus to cause human borne diseases and the ones that do normally crop up in species with similar genetic structure like monkeys or pigs.

Our immune systems are quite efficient. Pathogenic microbes have to be able to counter that in some way. If a Microbes has never had any contact with humans then its very very very unlikely they would have evolved any mechanisms to evade our immune system, invade human cells and in the case of Viruses bind with human DNA.

As soon as a alien microbe is picked up our immune systems would light it up like a Christmas tree and would kill it.

In fact i would go so far as to say it would be near impossible for a virus as its DNA would likely be so different for our earth evolved DNA there would be near zero change of compatibility. Like me trying to make a key for a lock I have never seen. Or better yet me trying to make a key for lock that is in fact a digital number pad. and my version of making a key is randomly hammering a piece of metal.

The other thing is even if a bacteria based pathogen was present then chances are even the most basic anti biotic will be fecking effective a anti biotic resistance would not have evolved yet.
edit on 18-2-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join