It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top European Research facility: Super strong cannabis caused 1/4 new psychosis cases

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Evil_Santa

originally posted by: snowspirit

What researchers have learned from these studies is that cannabis can potentially cause psychosis, but only in a select group of people who are naturally vulnerable.

www.heretohelp.bc.ca...

A Canadian study.
It's still no where near as bad as alcohol, and knowing a lot of users, I have never in my life, seen more than 2 people have a bad experience. One was already prone to panic attacks, and the other had never tried the stuff before.

Most people's paranoia comes from worrying if other people know that you're high. Once that stigma of "doing something illegal" is gone, so is the paranoia.

I disagree with this, as a citizen of a state that has legalized recreational marijuana, I have had serious complications from MJ. Even without the "fear of doing something illegal" it has sent me to the ER a few times due to extremely bad panic attacks. Attacks so sever that my heart mimics a heart attack and EMTs telling me that my blood pressure is barely blow the "No Man's Land" zone, with the EKG showing a serious block in an artery that normally kills people in seconds.

These attacks have been ongoing for years and have gotten worse when they hit. I have spent thousands trying to identify other medical conditions that could be the root cause to try and avoid quitting THC.

THC affects everyone differently, some people can use it their entire lives without issues and others (like myself) have serious complications from it. As much as i love to be high, the times that it does affect me negatively have hit a point that the negative outweighs the positive with the substance.

Yeah, those are anxiety attacks caused by extreme thc intoxication. That doesn't mean you are now mentally ill, it just means you got too high.

People are getting confused apparently with people going to hospitals because they are high and what this study claims which is that a new magic super strain of cannabis caused 1/4 of all new psychosis.

A hospital trip while high is a hell of a lot different from a life time of schizophrenia.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: GogoVicMorrow

It's like this. There are people out in this world who are prone to a full psychotic episode given the correct set of triggers. High THC, low cbd marijuana is one of those for some people. Could they have the same triggers later in their life from other stressors? Sure. Must they? No reason to think so. Would this full blown episode lead to reoccurring episodes? Maybe so, maybe not.

I do think it wise, however, to go the legalization, classification, and education route. You could bypass the risk, and perhaps keep many people prone from ever having the issue. That would likely also take genetic testing. Overall we're just not there, but it's not that far off, either.
edit on 16-2-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: BornAgainAlien

There`s is defiantly a huge difference in the different types of what you can buy/produce.

If you smoke in The Netherlands outside grown weed or you smoke inside cultivated weed, with the first you can smoke all you want without ever overdosing when you`re used to it, but you will not be able to that with strong inside weed.

We threw arms full of the outside weed on a barbecue once and were hanging with our heads above it.

I never said there wasn't a difference. Of course there is, but THC is the same in every plant. It's the same drug it doesn't change from plant to plant or strain to strain except in regards to it's percentage.

You can grow "outside weed" that is as potent as "inside weed" it just takes a lot more care and attention and has to be a strong strain. If it's inside, it's inside for a reason - constant care and controlled light. Outside is just growing as it grows, but it doesn't really matter because I never said there wasn't weaker and stronger strains.

Also, you can't actually overdose on cannabis.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

Triggers do not equal causes.

Sure it might trigger an episode, but it didn't put the illness there to be triggered and that person was going to have that mental illness eventually regardless of smoking cannabis and having an episode be triggered.

Keep in mind this thread mentions Schizophrenia, and implies it could be caused by this new super strain. Like it is a magic cannabis that has new ingredients instead of thc and the cannibinoids that we have known and studied and have been used for decades. This article and study employ the same b.s. as the bath salt articles (of course bath salts are more dangerous and legit dangerous, i am only talking about how this scare is organized - new strain that looks like all the others but if you get ahold of it.. PSYCHOSIS!).

The article is just non sense as is the study.
edit on 16-2-2015 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

That's your assumption, and there's no good reason to believe that. It's the genes which lead to the susceptabiliy, and environmental stressors/triggers which lead to this potential being realized.

You're describing a rationalization. A false belief that is not reasonable. It's circular. You are unaware of the potential psychotic individuals who carry the genetic components yet live a full life without episode. Their episode is not inevitable. Science shows us people have genetic susceptibilities in other areas which are never realized. There's no good reason to think this is not applicable to psychosis.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   

With overdose I mean lie on the ground thinking you`re dying.

I know all about growing both types of weed, and was specifically referring to Dutch outside grown weed and no matter how much electronics you use with outside weed (to measures what you give the plants exactly, acid levels, etc.), you won`t be able to produce as strong of a weed outside in The Netherlands as inside.

I have had plants outside of about 17ft and had inside plants growing almost 5 inches over night (that`s when they grow). I smoked for years several grams of strong inside weed a day and have also smoked many pounds of outside weed (way less though).

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Evil_Santa

originally posted by: snowspirit

What researchers have learned from these studies is that cannabis can potentially cause psychosis, but only in a select group of people who are naturally vulnerable.

www.heretohelp.bc.ca...

A Canadian study.

It's still no where near as bad as alcohol, and knowing a lot of users, I have never in my life, seen more than 2 people have a bad experience. One was already prone to panic attacks, and the other had never tried the stuff before.

Most people's paranoia comes from worrying if other people know that you're high. Once that stigma of "doing something illegal" is gone, so is the paranoia.

I disagree with this, as a citizen of a state that has legalized recreational marijuana, I have had serious complications from MJ. Even without the "fear of doing something illegal" it has sent me to the ER a few times due to extremely bad panic attacks. Attacks so sever that my heart mimics a heart attack and EMTs telling me that my blood pressure is barely blow the "No Man's Land" zone, with the EKG showing a serious block in an artery that normally kills people in seconds.

These attacks have been ongoing for years and have gotten worse when they hit. I have spent thousands trying to identify other medical conditions that could be the root cause to try and avoid quitting THC.

THC affects everyone differently, some people can use it their entire lives without issues and others (like myself) have serious complications from it. As much as i love to be high, the times that it does affect me negatively have hit a point that the negative outweighs the positive with the substance.

MJ does lower blood pressure, and in some people alarmingly so. So, for those people, alcohol would be safer...as it raises blood pressure.

I would also (with the support of some of the research already posted here including the OP) suggest that MJ would also induce psychosis in those that are already predispositioned to those kinds of reactions.

That is a FAR CRY from suggesting that it is a dangerous drug for normal responsible healthy adults with no underlying complications, and it ALONE is not enough to justify making it illegal. And,there will always be that subset of the population that abuse anything that is available, whether it be MJ, alcohol, hell, even sniffing glue and gasoline....we rightfully restrict access to harmful substances from adolescents, but not from adults that should have the maturity to make their own decisions.

Legitimate research that shows the medical benefits of MJ is NOT ENOUGH to justify that EVERYONE must use it...so by the same token, legitimate research showing a harm to a subset of the population is NOT ENOUGH to justify banning EVERYONE from access to it. Definitly not enough to justify keeping it as a crime akin to the likes of heroin and crack...

Unless...the OP is suggesting that we should limit anything harmful from the general public, and if that is the case, the OP has a LOT more research to do, and a LOT more substances to place on that 'dangerous' list.

But, no fear, the OP's opinion and posting of research and furious denial of the legitimate opposing opinions offered here will not be LAW simply due to the OP's declaration of truth...if I count correctly, the OP is ONE VOTE, and that is the only 'opinion' that matters in a free society.
edit on 16-2-2015 by lakesidepark because: spell-checking

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: lakesidepark

I`m not against it, but it should be produced by the state and made not to be too potent.

The problem is not so much with cannabis itself, but with the real strong stuff...while fun for the ones who can handle it, it has a big drawback towards part of the users...at least there should be eduction on the subject about what can happen with the stronger types of it.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
potent skunk is the best, as you can use much less of it. Far less damage on the lungs.
As for psychosis, it is only the predisposed with increased risk, even through dubious stats actually indicate self medication. It is in fact a pharmacological imperative to get the best medication possible as it reduces side effects.

But hey only those that can afford coke, can smoke super strength skunk, the former of which is the road to psychosis.
edit on 16-2-2015 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Evil_Santa

You're one of those that needs to stop at 2 puffs.. hard to do....

Yep, everyone's different. I have a friend who's a fitness trainer. It makes her want to go running. She gets in a longer workout with it. And for some, it brings out creativity.

Not good for anyone who gets panic attacks of any type though..

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

The only ''agenda'' seen on this thread is those that refuse acknowledging of facts and are obviously led by their pro legalisation agenda bias.

That's not exactly true either is it? You're overstating the significance of the research and interpreting the authors' conclusions in a way that you feel is most favorable to your own agenda. That's not bias?

I'd also like to point out that an argument could be made that it was in the best interest of public health to legalize and regulate cannabis. What have the effects of prohibition been on the increasing prevalence of strains with higher levels of THC (and lower levels of cannabidiol)? It's reasonable to believe that mass produced cannabis products available from retail outlets, whose THC and CBD content could be regulated by law, would drastically drive down demand from other suppliers.
edit on 2015-2-16 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Weed is proof God loves us,and wants us to be happy

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

The only ''agenda'' seen on this thread is those that refuse acknowledging of facts and are obviously led by their pro legalisation agenda bias.

That's not exactly true either is it? You're overstating the significance of the research and interpreting the authors' conclusions in a way that you feel is most favorable to your own agenda. That's not bias?

I'd also like to point out that an argument could be made that it was in the best interest of public health to legalize and regulate cannabis. What have the effects of prohibition been on the increasing prevalence of strains with higher levels of THC (and lower levels of cannabidiol)? It's reasonable to believe that mass produced cannabis products available from retail outlets, whose THC and CBD content could be regulated by law, would drastically drive down demand from other suppliers.

Agreed !

Banning doesn`t work, in The Netherlands where it has been legal for years the percentage of people using it is much lower as to all the countries where it`s forbidden.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
The confirmation bias is strong in this thread.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Just a couple of things.
Skunk is "Medical Marijuana" by another name.
Skunk is simply hydroponically grown marijuana.
Also, "Skunk" as an umbrella term for strong cannabis is ridiculous.
There are many many strains of cannabis, all with varying degrees of THC and CBD.
Thats like doing a study of the dangers of formula one driving then applying the findings to all driving.

There is one reason cannabis is illegal. Dupont.

There have been many studies on cannabis, and most of them call for legalisation.
One comes along that states a "possible" causal link with psychosis and it gets shouted from the rooftops.
The other studies get buried and ignored.

I along with practically all my friends have been daily tokers for decades, I have only ever known one who suffered with paranoia so he gave it up. I call BS on this whole study. I wonder if Dupont had any input in the funding.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: OneManArmy

I`m sorry, but you`re wrong about that it`s only being one study...

Sir Robin Murray, professor of psychiatric research at the Institute of Psychiatry, said the study added "a further brick to the wall of evidence" showing that use of traditional cannabis is a contributory cause of psychoses like schizophrenia.

He said it was one of 10 prospective studies all pointing in this same direction.

Source

...and I posted the talked about study a few pages back.

But at the same time I agree with you it should be legalized, but this is not something which can be ignored because you would like to see it becoming legal.
edit on 16 2 2015 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The amount of just flat out incorrect claims in threads like these never cease to amaze..

I give it a couple of years before fruitful and accurate discussion occurs. Everything from what "skunk" is to claims of stronger weed than ever to the differences in indoor/outdoor.. Taking the time to correct all of it would be an endless task.

I'm still waiting for discussion about the different effects of different combinations of cannibinoids beyond just THC and CBD. The entire conversation tends to leave out numerous, major factors in favor of popular talking points.

Studies like this, coming from both "sides," are stifling any real, productive research or discussion on the matter. Until we get the variables and constants right though, that is an impossible task.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: BornAgainAlien
a reply to: OneManArmy

I`m sorry, but you`re wrong about that it`s only being one study...

Sir Robin Murray, professor of psychiatric research at the Institute of Psychiatry, said the study added "a further brick to the wall of evidence" showing that use of traditional cannabis is a contributory cause of psychoses like schizophrenia.

He said it was one of 10 prospective studies all pointing in this same direction.

Source

...and I posted the talked about study a few pages back.

But at the same time I agree with you it should be legalized, but this is not something which can be ignored because you would like to see it becoming legal.

I dont really care if it becomes legal or not anymore, it has never made the blind bit of difference either way.
I admit I was over egging the pudding when I said about "One study". My bad.
Really though the general consensus among many professionals is that the benefits outweigh the negatives by a huge margin. Cannabis has many medical applications, which has been limited by "legalities" making study and cultivation very difficult. And the cost in peoples lives and the cost to tax payers in it being illegal just makes legality the reasonable option.

I know of the links with smoking cannabis at a young age to psychosis and paranoia.
I must have been lucky, oh wait here I am a member of ATS that thinks a global elite of power crazed warmongers seeks world domination by fair means or foul. Maybe not so lucky.

I know full well that being stoned saps motivation and makes a person very lazy, which is why I dont smoke "skunk" anymore. It just turns you into a zombie. One that doesnt want to do much of anything.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

If the mitigating factor is the percent of THC vs. Percent of CBD, then why did the pharmaceutical companies and the government produce and allow Marinol (100% THC)?

And I have yet to read a "study" on how Marinol causes psychosis.

I wonder why?

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   

I think this just go to prove leglisation and regulation is needed.

If cannabis was legal you can put caps on its THC content.

Same way alcahol content is regulated.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join