It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kickstarter project wants to make immersive virtual reality for groups

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   
A kickstarter project called 'Immersion' aims to have a new type of virtual technology that fills an entire room for multiple people to interact with. There are limitations to the technology; for example, people have to make a 3d model of the room they want to use the Immersion machine in.

A recently funded Kickstarter project wants to create technology that can beam virtual reality into an entire room. The project, called Immersis, plans to make virtual reality something that a group of people can experience all at the same time — without wearing anything on their faces.

The company behind the project, Catopsys, calls Immeris an "innovative, disruptive technology" and says it can change the social aspects of virtual reality. The projector, which Wired points out looks like a sinister Pixar lamp, can connect to your computer and beam any content in 180 degrees.

This sounds like a spin off of the Oculus Rift but the implications of this technology could exceed that of the Oculus. With the many technological advances on the horizon associated with Virtual Reality and even virtual money (Bitcoin), the future will be a very exciting and a very scary place. People are getting more and more "intertwined" with technology and I see this trend only increasing in the coming decades. WHat says ATS?

www.theverge.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Sounds very good, but I would hope one of the larger tech firms is working on this as well. But the more the merrier, and hopefully they get all the money they need and then some.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

depends what they mean by beam? are they meaning projection, instead , or is this more akin to holography ?
as far as I can see details are sketchy

funbox

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: funbox
This is just a multiplayer thing -no big deal -

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

I'm still waiting for a gravity chamber like the one on dragon ball z to be invented. Maybe then I can finally become a super saijan! Lol.

That's a great concept though, and it's implications I'm sure will be felt lots upon it's innovation.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: threeeyesopen

I'm still waiting for a gravity chamber like the one on dragon ball z to be invented. Maybe then I can finally become a super saijan! Lol.

That's a great concept though, and it's implications I'm sure will be felt lots upon it's innovation.

There was the RP-360. That was an arcade unit with a screen, seat and controls. Not only did it move up and down, but it also rotated 360 degrees upside down and sideways. You could play the ultimate space or air battle. Only problem was people would get motion sickness and stuff would fall out of their pockets.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

WHat says ATS?

meh..
..another step towards real-life sims
and probably spending those bitcoins on wall textures & fake abs

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Hook these guys up with the guys making "Identity" and you could have the most crazy game ever made...

www.kickstarter.com...

edit on 16/2/15 by flice because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
This could become a technology that gets misused for the enjoyment of those with something more on their minds than just playing virtual games. We must remember that whatever we come up with technologically somebody else will figure out how to use for what they would enjoy. And that enjoyment may not be what society as a whole considers moral, upright or safe. Very good find.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   

As Roger Daltrey told Pete Townshend, 'you'll never find enough wire'.

new topics

top topics

join