It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You as Excited as This Guy is With The Winter Weather?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Weatherman Jim Cantore loves his job and he's not afraid to show it. When he gets his prized Thunder Snow all professional decorum goes out the window.

“Thunder snow is just like any other thunder storm, it’s just that it’s not rain it’s snow falling. That’s rare because clouds are low in the winter so you don’t get that upward vertical motion that you get with your warm sector of thunder storms in the summer. It’s rare to have thunder and lightning in the winter. It usually means it’s a strong intense winter storm or a blizzard.”

Just a little fun viewing for those of us stuck today. I'm on the East Coast Canada and nothing is moving. Advisories to stay home for 24 hours are playing out on all news outlets.

Me? I'll take any chance to have a snow day that I can get.

For a toddler? Infectious!

Peace

edit on 16-2-2015 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
at the end of the day it's all good, i mean being passionate is great.
The one thing that kinda disturbed me is how aggressive he sounds.
and people wonder why america is starting wars left and right.
You can't even be excited about a weather phenomena without sounding like you want to shoot up a school to celebrate.
and it's not the first time i see that kind of reaction.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I saw that last night. I thought it was hysterical and good for him. I've seen thunder snow once and it was oddly impressive, so I can understand his excitement.

And I, for one, didn't think he sounded like he wanted to shoot up a school. Good lord

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse
at the end of the day it's all good, i mean being passionate is great.
The one thing that kinda disturbed me is how aggressive he sounds.
and people wonder why america is starting wars left and right.
You can't even be excited about a weather phenomena without sounding like you want to shoot up a school to celebrate.
and it's not the first time i see that kind of reaction.

I think that's going a little out there don't you think?

When I have a jam session and we nail it, I get excited as hell but I don't want to shoot the audience.

It's called passion for what you love.

Peace

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: jude11

it was of course a Hyperbole

I dunno, maybe it's a cultural thing but the way he moves his arms, and jumps around, it all looks too aggressive, frankly if he started doing that in front of me, i would start walking back slowly, something felt off, the way his voice sounded more angry than amazed or excited, i did not get a sense of "what a joyous moment!" but more a sense of "this dude is seriously pissed off about something"

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   

it was of course a Hyperbole

I dunno, maybe it's a cultural thing but the way he moves his arms, and jumps around, it all looks too aggressive, frankly if he started doing that in front of me, i would start walking back slowly, something felt off, the way his voice sounded more angry than amazed or excited, i did not get a sense of "what a joyous moment!" but more a sense of "this dude is seriously pissed off about something"

I can see that.

But I really just see someone winning his own personal lottery in his love of weird weather happenings.

Me? Too damned cold to be excited about anything except a snow day.

Peace

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
eheh i know the feeling,weather is showing SOME mercy where i live, and if it keeps up, i will be the one jumping up and down in joy

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

I love cold weather, and being on the Thames Estuary here in the South of England, you can imagine that I see less of it than I would like to. I also love thunder storms.

When the snow starts falling fast, and sideways in my locality therefore, I tend to get VERY pumped up about it. I don my weather protection gear, and go down to the seafront, so I can get right inside the main strength of the wind, and yes, sometimes I will stand there on the sea wall, screaming at the sky, daring it to snow harder, begging God to throw another helping our way, howling like a wolf at a moonless, leaden night sky. I do not do so out of anger, but because something about the way it feels to be surrounded by wind, and snow, and sub zero degree temperatures gets me going like very few things have the capacity to do. It is exciting to me in a very unique way!

Another thing that pumps me up like an over inflated tyre, is lightning storms. During summer we often get some lightning and thunder, but last summer we had one of the most intense weather systems that we had seen for some time, march up from the south and HAMMER most of the South of England. Wave after wave of powerful lightning storms rolled in, which resulted in HOURS long lightning shows, torrential rain, and such noise and majestic violence and atmospheric drama as cannot be described in the language of mortal man in such a way as to do it justice. I was in town centre on the evening in question, having just watched a band play at a dive bar I frequent. Their act was backlit by electrical expressions of natures vast fury, the window behind the stage lighting up from time to time as titanic bolts of energy were released to smite the Earth.

My friend and I, upon the ending of the act we had come to see, sprinted to the clifftops to get a good view, and we spent hours and hours just standing there, watching bolt after bolt spear across the sky, listening to the mind buggering noise of it all, and cooling off in the rain. The storm had been preceeded by a particularly sticky day, one which had only become more humid as the evening had deepened, and so the relief from that alone was enough to make one yell in jubilation.

Being emotionally invested in the experience of being out in the elements, when the elements are insane, is not an indicator of anything unhealthy in a human mind, and nor is any reaction one might have, which does not in and of itself represent a criminal act. These things are elemental, they are intrinsic to the essence of humanity. For those who have a fondness for extreme weather, they are affected by it, just as music fans can be affected by a sweet riff, or an insane drum solo.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Can you film that sometime? Because I would like to see that....lol

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Got your storm chips Jude? Lol... Stuck here too,but my daughter lives near the border and they are so buried the plow is stuck in front of their house. On topic...nobody has enthusiasm for the weather like Frankie....on my phone though so can't post a vid.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Heh... Well, I could try.

There are rather obvious difficulties associated with filming in extreme weather. With winter snow storms, the strength of the wind and the constant increase in the amount of snow landing on the ground, means that unless one has some sort of reinforced, ground spiked tripod, one is not going to be able to make a very good fist of filming an unrestrained reaction to the event, without risking ones equipment being tipped over.

Similarly, the rain during a summer storm can make leaving a static recording device in place without its being at risk of waterlogging, a rather tricky proposition.

However, if I find myself in a position to do so, I will endeavour to create a videographic record of the weather, and my reaction to it!

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: AccessDenied

Got your storm chips Jude? Lol... Stuck here too,but my daughter lives near the border and they are so buried the plow is stuck in front of their house. On topic...nobody has enthusiasm for the weather like Frankie....on my phone though so can't post a vid.

Yeah, we have plow trucks plowing out plow trucks.

Peace

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Go-Pro maybe?

Just trying to help make the magic happen

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: jude11
Weatherman Jim Cantore loves his job and he's not afraid to show it. When he gets his prized Thunder Snow all professional decorum goes out the window.

“Thunder snow is just like any other thunder storm, it’s just that it’s not rain it’s snow falling. That’s rare because clouds are low in the winter so you don’t get that upward vertical motion that you get with your warm sector of thunder storms in the summer. It’s rare to have thunder and lightning in the winter. It usually means it’s a strong intense winter storm or a blizzard.”

Just a little fun viewing for those of us stuck today. I'm on the East Coast Canada and nothing is moving. Advisories to stay home for 24 hours are playing out on all news outlets.

Me? I'll take any chance to have a snow day that I can get.

For a toddler? Infectious!

Peace

Lol I heard this on "free beer and hot wings" this morning.....it was kinda crazy honestly, like one if those bids where someone is coming out of a drug induced slumber at the hospital or from getting put under at the dentist.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   

eheh i know the feeling,weather is showing SOME mercy where i live, and if it keeps up, i will be the one jumping up and down in joy

Lol, move to north Texas, we get winter...one or two days at a time, then it is back to shorts and t-shirts again.

Right now the ice from last night is melting, 2 days ago I was wearing shorts at our cookout.

Hell we even had the airvonditioner on.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Good Lord, Brit, how can you wax poetic when it's so damn cold that even our bones are creaking in horror?

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Thunder snow ?!

How have I never heard of this before ??

Wowzers, that would be pretty awesome to experience first hand. I'd be dancing around like the weatherman in the video too !

Love me a good thunder storm...

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
This sort of passion & excitement makes me uncomfortable & slightly nauseated.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

I would do just about anything, other than paying for travel and risking a TSA brand gloving, to get a taste of that sweet biting coldness. I love cold weather. As far as I am concerned, residents of places that get regular snows in winter, no matter how dangerous or inconvenient, do not know how lucky they have it.

Here in Essex, England, we do not get yearly snows, or anything like yearly snows. We get snow maybe every couple of years, and it's rarely deeper than 30cm, and rarely lasts for too long. Obviously further north they get more snow, but I have not got the time to take off from work, just to go and get me some chill time.

The trouble is, when winter decides that it is not going to grow a pair and hit my town properly, and we have no or very little snow, it throws my body clock completely out, and the rest of the year is just too damned warm for my tastes.

When I used to work in frozen food retail, I used to take my breaks in the cold storage room. Legally speaking, we were supposed to wear gloves, coats, and hats when in there for more than ten minutes. I used to go in there with a single layer of clothing on, no sleeves, no gloves, no hat, for the entire thirty minute lunch break. Steam would pour off me. I am very warm internally.

So, how can I wax poetical? By being fantastically envious of the gorgeous weather you guys are getting! That's how!

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
We used to call it getting a "weather woody" in TV news biz. Bob Ryan of local NBC affiliate in DC wasn't quite as excitable but he loved the attention during snow storms.

I think its awesome for any person to dig their job so much.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join