It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Royal Regiment of Scotland!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 04:38 PM
link   
The defense secretary , Mr Hoon , has annouced scotlands worst fear. The merger of all scottish regiments to form the "Royal Regiment of Scotland"

"SNP MP Annabelle Ewing was ordered out of the Commons chamber by the Speaker after calling Mr Hoon a "backstabbing coward"."
Frankly i support Annabelle Ewing on this 100% there was no justifiable reason to this move, except to save cash.
SCOTTISH BATTALION
I am more than angry at this move by the defense secretary.
The government and army has not listened to scotish MP's or to the general public!
Your views?

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
It is time for a worldwide gathering of the clans...

to recognise lost royals and nobles...

then a free and independant Scots republic for 2005...

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flange Gasket

I second the motion by the honourable gentlemen or woman!
Imagine the money we would make on selling water to england!

[edit on 16-12-2004 by devilwasp]

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   

The plan can go f**k itself. Personally I enjoy the good quality of living we have thanks to an overtly generous Westminster budgeting agreement.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling

The plan can go f**k itself. Personally I enjoy the good quality of living we have thanks to an overtly generous Westminster budgeting agreement.

Uhhh why?
We could make a fortune on selling them water!
We could do it and we have the gear and the will, i say follow ireland's lead!

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

Uhhh why?

Err, we wouldn't make that much money from our water. Oh, and if we were to drive the price up then they'd just buy it from the North of England.

We are in a much better economical situation being in the Union.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Err, we wouldn't make that much money from our water. Oh, and if we were to drive the price up then they'd just buy it from the North of England.

We are in a much better economical situation being in the Union.

Like there is more water there than in scotland?
Yeah we may be but look at how they aint listening to us here.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Always been the way, half the scots side with the English against their own, thats why where like the Irish, more of us live in overseas than in our own country...

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Uhhh why?

Scotland tried it before, numerous times, and it didnt work then and it woyuldnt work now. So are you going to start blowing up Kids and old Women like PIRA because your pride is hurt? Get a bloody grip man. England lost old regiments as well. The Defence Minister is a dick, we all know it. They have had this in the works for a long time. No body likes it, I mourn the loss of the Scottish Regiments but whats done is done.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Always been the way, half the scots side with the English against their own, thats why where like the Irish, more of us live in overseas than in our own country...

Some of us have more sense than pride.

In the long term economical situation our economy would be probably on par with that of Estonia or Latvia. United we're a world power and we both pay our way and are paid for by the British Government.

Idealism doesn't put bread on the table.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Some of us have more sense than pride.

In the long term economical situation our economy would be probably on par with that of Estonia or Latvia. United we're a world power and we both pay our way and are paid for by the British Government.

Idealism doesn't put bread on the table.

So its ok for us to lose our past?
Ok for our troops to lose thier ability to fight?
Being economicaly strong doesnt stop an enemy force, unless of course people would like us to have a BEF like before and not have a proper army.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janus

Scotland tried it before, numerous times, and it didnt work then and it woyuldnt work now. So are you going to start blowing up Kids and old Women like PIRA because your pride is hurt?

They just let go the oldest and most respected regiment in the british army be cut for a new "super" regiment that helps SF.

Get a bloody grip man. England lost old regiments as well. The Defence Minister is a dick, we all know it. They have had this in the works for a long time. No body likes it, I mourn the loss of the Scottish Regiments but whats done is done.

England didnt lose ALLL its regiments!

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I remember some years ago that, when the government proposed the merging of the Black Watch (aka Royal Highlanders) and Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, a popular uproar caused the government to abandon the procedure. If I understand this correctly, the two regiments "to be merged" are the Royal Scots and the Black Watch. Knowing the Brits' fierce pride into their regimental traditions this is a colossal error: first of all, both regiments have a very long and rich history. In fact the Royal Scots are the oldest regiment in continual existence in the world, while the Black Watch is the dean of the "kilted" highland regiments. This move shows utter disregard of a very old and buch beloved tradition.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Look i know i would feel the same if they had joined all Englands Regiments, i do understand.
But they have done it now and the loss of the Black Watch alone is a bloody discrace. Our armed forces are at the mercy of these idiots and as usual its poor bloody tommy that gets shafted. Thats nothing new. They will adapt and carry on as the fine Soldiers that they are. In a Hundred years Scotland will be as proud of this Regiment as they are proud of the ones they have lost.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Look i know i would feel the same if they had joined all Englands Regiments, i do understand.
But they have done it now and the loss of the Black Watch alone is a bloody discrace. Our armed forces are at the mercy of these idiots and as usual its poor bloody tommy that gets shafted. Thats nothing new. They will adapt and carry on as the fine Soldiers that they are. In a Hundred years Scotland will be as proud of this Regiment as they are proud of the ones they have lost.

Not if scotland can help it, there is massive uproar in the country! I mean come on there is a massive march going to happen at the weekend in edinburgh.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Not if scotland can help it, there is massive uproar in the country! I mean come on there is a massive march going to happen at the weekend in edinburgh.

I hope you are right, i hope public opinion sways them but i doubt it. This is the most bloody minded Government since Maggie and now they have announced it i cant see them backing down.
Also i hear that the Paras will become Special Forces, that should please them they always considered themselves that anyway.

[edit on 16-12-2004 by Janus]

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   
What a slap in the face. I agree with the previous poster, Hoon is a dick.

top topics

join