It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arctic Apple , bred in Canada, approved for US consumption.......

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 05:26 AM
link   
www.cbc.ca...

No these are not apples grown north of 60 in the frozen tundra.....
They are specially bred to resist turning brown when exposed to the air......
Though these are produced through turning off a particular enzyme in the apples, they are not exactly GMO, and have no added genes or other alterations...

.[The Arctic apple doesn't oxidize — or turn brown — because its developers have figured out how to adjust the growing process to inhibit the browning enzyme.ex]
See the picture comparison in the article to observe the difference....
because the GMO foods are controversial...I wonder how many would deign to try one of these beauties without any misgivings....
Or will they flop in the marketplace?

edit on 16-2-2015 by stirling because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-2-2015 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I'll give it a try. I likes me some apples.
Hot apple slices with bacon and a glass of goat's milk...breakfast of champions.
edit on 16-2-2015 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: stirling

So now you are also defending GMO industry or softening it for this particular product

I don't know what to say

Why were the old apples not good enough

Why ?

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   

I won't be touching them with a ten foot pole... In my world apples turn brown when exposed to air because that is what REAL APPLES do. I don't need any more frankenfood in my diet. Why on earth was this deemed a priority to apple growers to create a food from that which is supposed to be one of the purest foods we can eat, to a totally unnatural version just for aesthetic value??

edit on 16-2-2015 by AccessDenied because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 05:55 AM
link   

I am a bit confused ...

How do you turn off the enzyme that produces the natural browning of apples
To me this is interfering with what is natural ... I am not saying that is a bad thing nor a good thing till I know more information

By the way there are other ways to stop apples browning once cut that is ... an old cooks trick ... You place the sliced apple in water
edit on 16-2-2015 by artistpoet because: Typo

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 06:01 AM
link   
This sounds like a GMO (genetically modified organism), but not a transgenic GMO (borrowing genes from other species). Based on the article it sounds like they just disabled the enzyme responsible for the oxidation effect.

Anyways, I won't be buying this one. At least it will be labeled under its trademark name 'Arctic Apple' so people have a choice.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Just done a quick google search and from what I have read these apples are GMO

"The scientists behind the so-called Arctic apples "turned off" the gene found in apples that caused them to turn brown"

abcnews.go.com...

There are many more articles also

I too will not touch such a product ... They are GMO ... sure no other genes from other plants or animals have been added such as spider genes that have been added to Salmon WTF

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. I don't understand why nature herself isn't good enough for these mad scientists.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: AccessDenied

Well it DOES allow people to use more land in the world to grow food.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Well it DOES allow people to use more land in the world to grow food.
In this case,I disagree with the definition of "food."

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Just because you won't eat it doesn't mean it isn't food. At the end of the day it has certain nutrients and sugars that your body breaks down to use for energy and sustenance. That makes it food.

I'm sure there are some starving people in the world who would eat those apples without a second thought while the thought of "is this food?" would never cross their mind.
edit on 16-2-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Please add to the existing thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thank you.

new topics

top topics

join