It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three Days in Arizona...Tips?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Booked an upcoming flight for me and the hubby to AZ....We only have three days there.

Decided two nights in Flagstaff and the last day in Phoenix...We take the redeye back home so we will not need a hotel that night.

Any day trip ideas? Thought we could use one day and check out the Grand Canyon and the other day to check out Sedona...

Would also like to check out the meteor crater if we are in the area and it isn't too far away...

Anyhow, any tips or ideas would be welcome!

Thanks!!!

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: lovebeck

Definitely see the Grand Canyon. On a few previous trips to AZ and NV, I passed on the opportunity and then back in 2013 we we were out in Laughlin, NV and my wife talked me into going. I wasn't too excited about the prospect but we had a rental and we decided to make a day of it and hit some of historic Route 66 on our way out.

No image can do the scale of the thing justice. I could have spent days just sitting and staring.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Ya the grand canyon is a sight to see.

I have been through AZ countless times as a kid on road trips up to SD.
The old man always complained about the cost of the meteor site so we never went.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Even as an Australian i would say go see the Grand Canyon . Just make sure you are on the right side of the canyon at the right time of day to get the full effect from the sunlight . Also dont get their at night , camp in a viewing area , get on the millers and jump the gaurd rail to relieve yourself . Big shock next morning .

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Flagstaff has a pretty awesome nightlife down town thanks to NAU. I would have to recommend checking out Beaver St. Brew. Lots of good memories there.

Also the Grand Canyon is cool and all... but meteor crater is AWESOME. It is truly a sight to behold. Cool NASA equipment to check out there as well.

If the Snowbowl is still open.. should be being only mid Feb, you could go snowboarding. They aren't the greatest slopes, but they are fun.

Stay away from North Flagstaff if the sun isn't up.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Lockett Meadow in the San Francisco Peaks (Flagstaff) is beautiful for outdoor enjoyment!

In Sedona, be careful not to park without a permit. Pulling over on the side of the road to take in a view can get you ticketed if you don't have a pass. I'd drive through Sedona and take in the views from the car or be sure to stop in a place that doesn't require a pass. And the drive through Oak Creek Canyon is gorgeous! But do watch other drivers. A lot of people commute between Flag and Sedona and they can drive pretty fast and pass when it's less than safe.

Tlaquepaque is pretty nice if you're looking for some interesting shopping. If you're entering Sedona from the North, it's on your left just as you're getting to Sedona. I always go there if only to walk around. There are some fun shops in the "uptown" area (right after Tlaquepaque.

You could also visit Jerome, AZ, which is a copper mining town up on a high hill. It's quaint with lots of shops and interesting crafts. It's south of Sedona.

I personally wouldn't bother with Meteor Crater. One hole in the ground is about the same as any other. But, if you're interested in that sort of thing, then go.

I would stay out of Phoenix, if I were you. It's just a huge metropolis. But I'm a country girl, so it all depends on what you like.

Have a great time.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Thanks for the tips! I have a friend I want to meet for coffee (at the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf!!
) the morning after we arrive...I'd like to check out a bit of the Phoenix/Scotsdale area as we are thinking about a move across country...To AZ. I hate the cold weather and my bones just cannot take it anymore.

I CANNOT WAIT TO GET OUT OF HERE!!! It's like 2 degrees with 10 more inches of snow coming our way....

I know Flagstaff isn't "warm" but it should be in the 60's which is WAY better than 2...Plus, I'm SO PALE, that I don't even want to wear capri pants, lol...

All kidding aside, I do appreciate all the tips. Grand Canyon is a definite. I will be going to AAA tomorrow or Wed to get a Tourbook, too. There is so much online, it is overwhelming!

I didn't know you had to pay money to see a hole in the ground. So, Idk if we'll take in the crater or not.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
There is a whole lot to see... I've been here for decades and am still finding new places, but the cities are, mostly, blah with little that can't be seen elsewhere... some of the towns are quaint and quirky, but the natural sights are amazing. The environment is the star attraction, here.

The Grand Canyon is worth a look (understatement) ... Meteor Crater and Sunset Crater (an old volcano) near Flagstaff and Sedona are both neat... so is the Petrified Forest. Sedona is now an expensive tourist trap, but undeniably beautiful and more than a bit strange.

All those are in the Northern, higher elevation portion of the state... I live in the Southern, Sonoran Desert region, in Tucson, and it has incredible scenery, too, especially the high desert and mountains around the city, and winter/early spring is the best time to visit... before the hellish temperatures start. Tucsont has the best Mexican fusion food, heh, but is now a poorly planned suburban sprawl that is ugly on the whole.. .but the area around it is still amazing.

If you make it to the Southern region, the Desert Museum is a great stop... Kitt Peak observatory is, too, if you're a space nerd (or if you like seeing stars and a sweeping landscape from a mountain peak at night). Mt Lemmon, overlooking Tucson, is a cool drive that takes you from desert to pine forests in an hour. Tombstone is a rustic tourist trap that can be fun for a few hours and Bisbee is a little copper mining town in the South East hills that is now an arty little community where most of their buildings have been preserved and it's a neat visit as well.

Basically, if you can get to a more remote B&B, resort or small hotel in the deep Sonoran desert, preferably against a mountain, it's a good, memorable experience... the views, sounds, smells and general ambiance of the Sonoran Desert is unique... and I highly recommend a hot tub at night on a hill , overlooking city lights or moonlit desert.

Now I'll apply for the tourist bureau.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

I didn't know you had to pay money to see a hole in the ground. So, Idk if we'll take in the crater or not.

LOL almost the exact thing my dad said when we first went there!

Pretty sure you can see it with out going into the area you have to pay to get into.
Also the petrified forest is awesome as well as Baddogma pointed out.

And it was 25 bucks then and that was at least 10 years ago.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

How far is Kitt Peak Observatory from Phoenix?? Our flight lands late...If it isn't too far I wouldn't mind checking it out one bit. I booked a room in Flagstaff for two nights. But I am seriously thinking about changing that to one night and then hitting Sedona on the way back south. I'd much rather go somewhere warm as it is only 7 degrees here with tons of snow and ice.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Kitt Peak is about 40 miles due West of Tucson... which is 100 miles South East of Phoenix... which is ...oh, 90 miles South of Sedona, which is 20 miles South of Flagstaff... so it's a long slog around this state.... and the drive between Phoenix and Tucson is an hour and a half of boredom punctuated by a mountain peak.

If I were you, I'd spend time at the Grand Canyon (you really have to see that!) and then drive down to the Sedona- Flagstaff area... if you have time, then I'd find a good B&B or resort near Tucson for the final night and see the Desert Museum during the day and take a tour of Kitt Peak at night... and the drive up that mountain can be twisty, so careful.

That way you get the best of a huge area... as I said, the cities themselves are mostly chain store sprawls, except for the older central parts... it's the Northern canyon country and pine forests and the Southern desert with it's mountain "sky islands" that's amazing.

I mention the Desert Museum because it tells the story of the area and is in the high desert... I don't like zoos, in general, but they do a good job there with live animals and decent exhibits, and the tours of Kitt Peak are friendly and amazing. Kitt Peak is about 30 miles West of the Desert Museum... they're fairly close.

And the weather in the Southern part is pretty perfect now... 60 to 70 and clear.

Have fun.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

THANK YOU!! This sounds great...I had two nights at a place in Flagstaff but cancelled the reservation...I think one night there and seeing the GC and Sedona the next day will work...Maybe.

We'll figure it out. It's just a short trip to get away. We've had a very stressful go of it lately and both desperately need a little get away.

Thanks again!

top topics

join