It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suicide. A difficult topic.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
Those contemplating suicide are rarely mentally ill in the clinical sense. They are mentally broken, and they have reached their coping limit.

Not disagreeing as such, but for me the emotional state is the kicker. Emotions as we all know can be oh so uncontrollable and the mental state is the symptom of being unable to control the huge surge in the emotional trauma and the lack of mental power to overcome it.

It's this frustration and inability to have control of our own feelings that pushes some towards or even over the edge. It's the human condition and makes our worlds go round.

You post some wise words, duely noted and thanks.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: droid56
One reason why suicide is a difficult topic is because we worry that a depressed person could be pushed to act on his or her desire to be gone. So let me say to anyone who is depressed and wanting out, please wait. Things will likely improve, so hang in there.

Please let me start by saying that nothing I am saying is aimed at you, OP, but rather at the notion you are conveying.

I find it difficult to stay calm and un-emotional when the living declare that those who decided to commit suicide, to end their life, were weak and that depression was something to deal with by "just hanging in there".

I've dealt with a hair trigger sense of anxiety and resulting depression my entire life. I had nightmares when I was five that I still remember, not really nightmares though as they were purely anxiety ridden. Can you yourself relate to this?

IMHO, pain is pain. I firmly believe that pain can be emotional OR physical. There is no external register for pain. No accurate reading that can be taken by an outside observer. Rather, we are reliant upon asking "can you rate your pain on a scale of 1-10".

This being said, would you honestly look to stop a sincerely wounded person from ending their pain?

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot

Not disagreeing as such, but for me the emotional state is the kicker. Emotions as we all know can be oh so uncontrollable and the mental state is the symptom of being unable to control the huge surge in the emotional trauma and the lack of mental power to overcome it.

As an addition to what you said....here's something I don't feel alot of people "get" when it comes to mental issues like depression...

Most of us are raised to think "you just have to be strong enough"...and you'll get through it.

What about diabetes? A disease where your body does not create enough insulin to handle blood sugar.

What about depression? A biological malfunction wherein serotonin is absorbed by receptors too fast for the body to make use of it. The result being that one is unable to take pleasure in the small, every day things in life, let alone the bigger and sometimes more important things.

What about anxiety? A biological malfunction that shares striking similarities to that of seizures, and oddly enough responds well to medications designed for the treatment of seizures.

(NOTE- I do not begin to believe that depression and anxiety are caused solely by these issues, nor that we truly understand the whole picture to begin with. The soup of chemicals that makes up our brains is far too complex, and I genuinely am unsure that we will truly have answers until we can come close to duplicating the function of the brain in general. I believe that the issues are this deep rooted.)

I had YEARS where I could not accept the idea that I needed medical treatment for the maladies I deal with. Took me YEARS to realize that I am the genetic result of a bonding between two individuals who both had strong occurrences of these issues in their immediate and extended families. Both dealt with anxiety and depression.

During those years, I thought these were issues that I could just "deal with" and "get through". They were wasted years due to not knowing better.

Until I wised up.
edit on 16-2-2015 by nullafides because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-2-2015 by nullafides because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I admire people with the courage to escape this nightmare of a reality.

Personally, I think I'm supposed to be here to see The End, or I would have killed myself a long time ago.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join