It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"THOU SHALT NOT JUDGE" There is a major confusion with this statement.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Before I start I want to point out. The bible SAYS Deuteronomy 4:2
Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the LORD your God that I give you.

Now BY using the exact commandment "THOU SHALT NOT JUDGE." would mean we can not JUDGE WHAT IS GOOD OR EVIL.

End of story... To me it says "SHUT UP" because you opinion doesn't count.

I know everyone is going to try to twist this how ever they were taught BUT Who ever taught them disobeyed the commandment them-self and will be punished for it.

My next question is "Would this also take away part of our free-will ?"

Ok; ATS Lets debate this conundrum.
edit on 15-2-2015 by TruthSeekerKnight because: had to add something

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthSeekerKnight

Oh I know, but society as a whole wouldn't be able to handle it (I don't think any of us could). I don't think it would take away part of our free will, but it probably would create a world where many would feel there's no consequences to their actions, good or bad.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
But we can use the Bible as a guide to what is Good and Evil. If the Bible tells us that something is Evil, surely it is not judging to be of the view that the thing in question is evil? That's where I stand on the matter anyway.

I guess the line gets blurry when you start telling people that what they are doing is evil and how you go about this..

Westborough baptist church is probably a prime example of the bad end of this.
edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruthSeekerKnight
Before I start I want to point out. The bible SAYS Deuteronomy 4:2
Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the LORD your God that I give you.

Now BY using the exact commandment "THOU SHALT NOT JUDGE." would mean we can not JUDGE WHAT IS GOOD OR EVIL.

End of story...

I know everyone is going to try to twist this how ever they were taught BUT Who ever taught them disobeyed the commandment them-self and will be punished for it.

My next question is "Would this also take away part of our free-will ?"

Ok; ATS Lets debate this conundrum.

then maybe your shouldnt

... subtract from it,

instead use the entire verse

37"Do not judge, and you will not be judged; and do not condemn, and you will not be condemned; pardon, and you will be pardoned.

it means you can judge if u want but expect the same

i just had to lol @ this op

edit on pm220152805America/ChicagoSun, 15 Feb 2015 17:58:31 -0600_2u by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
If the bible says "Don't judge" then i have to have serious word with half of my God loving village.

The most hatefull judgemental people i have ever met.

CX.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I've got a thread on this verse coming up in a couple of weeks.
In answer to the dilemma you pose;
The Jesus who said "Do not judge" also distinguished between good and evil and told his followers to do the same.
Therefore "do not judge" obviously cannot be intended to mean "Do not distinguish between good and evil".

The problem you're setting up here is quite artificial.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Now BY using the exact commandment "THOU SHALT NOT JUDGE."

Where in the Bible is the commandment "Thou Shall Not Judge"?

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   

We should not judge others harshly for small perceived infractions, for if we do, we will be judged harshly by others in return. Mathew 7

Isaiah 5:20,21

Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness;
Who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter

Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes,
And prudent in their own sight

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I'm sure that Verse was abrogated with a later Verse that said "you can Judge righteously" (paraphrasing)...

Maybe someone familiar with The Bible can confirm this!

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Where in the Bible is the commandment "Thou Shall Not Judge"?

Definitely a misquote. Mathew 7:1 says," Judge not lest ye be judged "
edit on Rpm21515v522015u11 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   
This isn't exactly rocket science...
Matthew 7

“Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. 3 And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? 5 Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

John 7

24 Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment.”

Also Luke 6

No interpretation necessary. One just needs to actually read what has been written. In context preferably.

edit on 2/15/2015 by Klassified because: add

edit on 2/15/2015 by Klassified because: add more

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   
The trouble with judging is that it is often subjective based on views of a person.

Let assume god is a being that is judging objectively and see how every action is symbiotic(good for all involved)/neutral/nonsymbiotic(hurting one or more for one or more).

And lets look at the duality promiscuity and non promiscuity:
If you look at it objectively being promiscuous is not hurting people if the people you are promiscuous with are not hung up on one partner. But if you are being promiscuous with a partner that do not want to be promiscuous and lying about what you want you will hurt that person and cause damage.

The important thing is to figure out what you want and be with people who wants the same experience.

Since I am not fond of promiscuity even if I am a man if I was subjective judgement I would say promiscuity is wrong based on what I want. But it is not right to say that just because I have a preference, everybody else have to follow my preference.

I also do not get the whole lots of tattoo thing but just because it is not my cup of tea do not mean it is wrong for others who want to express themselves by changing their appearance/body.

The reason we probably shall not judge is because we have so much trouble being objective and see all sides/the whole picture.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

From my point of view that speck/plank of blindness in the eye can both be the subjective preference of a person and a reference to the third eye.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   

If I have to ever testify in court and place my hand on a Bible, I will then swear that I cannot judge what is truth or fiction, while also commanding the Judge to prove their omnipresence in order to judge another soul. If not, then that person shall not be judged by anyother man.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
This isn't exactly rocket science...
Matthew 7

“Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. 3 And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? 5 Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

John 7

24 Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment.”

Also Luke 6

No interpretation necessary. One just needs to actually read what has been written. In context preferably.

Thanks for that, saved me from typing.

Although I see context doesn't help all. I never considered the third eye in those verses....

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
“For the Father judges no one, but has committed all judgment to the Son.” (John 5:22)

"And he has given him authority to execute judgment, because he is the Son of Man. (John 5:27)

I know this is only loosely connected to the topic, I just thought it interesting. As it's often said "Don't judge. Let god do the judging." Or similar statements.

I'd say, for further context, that John 5:19-29 is strongly suggesting god is not going to do any judgment. That task was delegated to Jesus Christ.

I think when you append this to Klassified's post we are left with the scriptural understanding that Christ will judge you for you own judgements, but if they are righteous judgements then you were acting in accordance to Christ and The Father.

^That's my take. I'm a non-believer though so take it for what it is

edit on 15-2-2015 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   
When I was growing up one of the 10 commandments was "Thou shalt not judge"...I believe it was the 6th.

I can not find it online but it was in my bible...

And it was exactly as I have it written.

Do I believe whats online or what was written in my bible...

edit on 15-2-2015 by TruthSeekerKnight because: had to add a sentence.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   

thanks for another lol

en.wikipedia.org...

they havent changed in over 2000 years

just lol

dont try to save face by making this thread even more ludicrous

just admit you are wrong and move on

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruthSeekerKnight
When I was growing up one of the 10 commandments was "Thou shalt not judge"...I believe it was the 6th.

I can not find it online but it was in my bible...

And it was exactly as I have it written.

Do I believe whats online or what was written in my bible...

You mean the alleged bible that only you seem to remember existing that you can no longer find or prove ever existed outside your own mind???

I suggest you stick with the internet.

But then that's never stopped you people from believing in any other alleged fantasy that only you know about so why change now?!?!?

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I can't discern between what is good and what is evil sometimes until I see what comes out of it. I see those who complain about others judging them, judging others on a regular basis. Usually they are backstabbers.

But you get used to it, when you talk to these people you get the feeling they are talking behind your back just as they are telling you about others. I only talk about my kids stupid actions and usually only to my wife. I usually try to talk to people about their problems, not talk behind their backs. Sometimes that does not go so good, you really have to get prepared to do that or it can turn out bad. Half the time people do not even remember what they said or did the day before, but if you corner them they will remember. So I only do it with my family, I will not sit by like my wife and let them make their own mistakes, mistakes my wife and I have made before.

Now, most Christians do not judge others, but some do and those people do get around. So don't compare those minority of the faith to everyone who goes to church.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join