It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Nano-Surgeon" coming soon thanks to breakthroughs in Nanotechnology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
from CNN

Imagine a swarm of microscopic robots, so tiny that a teaspoon can hold billions of them.

They are ready to be injected into the most delicate areas of a human body -- the heart and the brain -- to deliver drugs with extreme precision or work like an army of nano surgeons, operating from within.

At ETH Zurich, the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, mechanical engineer Brad Nelson and his team have worked on nanobots for a decade, and are now ready to think big: "We're making microscopic robots that are guided by externally generated magnetic fields for use in the human body," he told CNN.

"You put the mechanical surgeon inside the blood vessel and it goes into the heart and 'looks' around," Feynman said, "It finds out which valve is the faulty one and takes a little knife and slices it out."

Nelson's microrobots might not yet have a little knife, but they sure have something special: their shape is inspired by the common E.coli bacteria, which is propelled by a rotating "tail" called the flagellum.

"Bacteria have a rotary motor," he explains, "Now, we can't make that motor, we don't have the technology for that, but we can use magnetism to move these things, so we actually take these flagella and we magnetize them, which allows them to swim."

But how would surgeons operate with nanobots?

"They would need training to learn how to use them," says Nelson, "but it's kind of an intuitive interface, and the nanobots would be guided with a joystick." The technology is ready for the first clinical tests on human patients, which will begin to take place this year, according to Nelson.

It seems WAY to good to be true. This could completely change the way we treat medical ailments.
But I have to be honest it freaks me out a bit as well...
edit on 2/15/2015 by DjembeJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: DjembeJedi

This type of technology scares the h*! out of me. It has many wonderful positive(s), but just as many negatives. The potential for abuse is 10-fold.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
How about some little surgeons that don't give a damn, and slice out ALL the valves? What an assassination tool this would make!

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam
How about some little surgeons that don't give a damn, and slice out ALL the valves? What an assassination tool this would make!

No doubt this has been around for perhaps decades at a secret level, maybe even put to use for those purposes.

Where the hell has this sprung from? We are constantly being experimented on, there is a long term plan for the Human Race I understand that. But it could be one of a hundred things, and none of them particularly pleasant I'm sure.

Edit- A great NWO tool for de-populating the World. Just saying.
edit on 15/2/15 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

This type of technology scares the h*! out of me. It has many wonderful positive(s), but just as many negatives. The potential for abuse is 10-fold.

Completely agree. I just don't get people who always see this kind of thing through as pure positive and it doesn't even cross their minds that human nature is always looking for new ways to get a better grip on power. But I guess I'm coming from a place where I can afford to think about caution. Some people are probably so desperate for a solution to their personal hell they just can't be bothered to think about the implications of something that would basically be a miracle for them

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

I would rather have it the nanobots find whatever issue is going on with you health/medical wise and close up the wound or sew up the wound themselves without a human guided surgeon. As almost an auto-heal.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

Don't worry the surgeons won't bother to tell you only afterwards . Do you know what they use when you are fully unconscious lying on that OR table for surgery?

The things you don't hear are " Sister mary put in those nanobots and monitor them on the screen"

At the end they say you will pis them out in two weeks .. Not!

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Been waiting for this technology to mature for the past 15 years when I stumbled upon Kurzweil's Age of Spiritual Machines (great science fAction (listed as non-fiction, but its a futurists book) recommend picking it up)
Wiki

If what is written in that book actually comes to be, its gonna be one -hell- of a ride

This subject however has been being discussed since 1981. I introduce to you the man that makes dreams, K. Eric Drexler. the grandfather of nanotechnology
Bio

also fantastic mind blowing science possibilities on the horizon, in fiction format this time:
The First Immortal

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Thanks for the interesting and exciting post.

This is great news and heralds a step change, a new era in medicine IMO

Let's hope we live long enough to reap the benefits!

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I never read anything so terrifying in my life.

At ETH Zurich, the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, mechanical engineer Brad Nelson and his team have worked on nanobots for a decade, and are now ready to think big: "We're making microscopic robots that are guided by externally generated magnetic fields for use in the human body," he told CNN.

Anyone with half a brain could imagine the weaponry that could be culled out of nano-tech. Splice this science with the science of AI and you'll see people melting like plastic before your very eyes. I would say such a death would be more painful than getting swallowed by fire.

There would be nothing you could do. You can't fight micro-bots.

edit on 15-2-2015 by Asynchrony because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join