It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help! I'm really really small...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: HD3DSURROUNDSOUND

You need to measure complexity, in terms of that , we are incredibly complex and just as interesting as the universe and its mechanisms.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

If you are familiar with Quantum Physics or string theory, you will understand this analogy. You are, as of our current understanding of the size of the universe, comparable in size to the universe as a quark (10 to the power of -15 meters) is to the Hercules–Corona Borealis Great Wall (google it if you are curious, which is 10 to the power of 10 to the power of 10 to the power of 122 meters).

Hope that answers your question

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   

You are the universe having a human experience. Ergo, you are the universe. You are not your body.

You are.. everything and nothing, all at the same time.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Our human size relative to the smallest known particle and the estimated size
of the known universe is about midpoint.

The universe is obviously big, but don't underestimate how small the
building blocks are...

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Scientists do claim to know the size of the observable Universe
They think it is 13.8 billion years

I know this figure is used to determine the age of the observable Universe
But light years can be converted into distance also

Edit to add ... Perhaps it is the number of stars and other phenomena that boggles the mind ... there is a lot of stuff out there for sure

edit on 19-2-2015 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   

You are undeniably very small indeed. In fact, our Earth is very small indeed. In fact, our solar system & even galaxy are very small. The little creatures that live on your eyelashes are even smaller than you, and they (I think) have gut bacteria which are even smaller than them. As someone else said, it goes the other way into realms of 'smallness' that we can't even measure.

But in truth, where scales of infinity are present, size doesn't matter - information matters.

The smallest & the largest consist of informed material/energy. Thus, all are equal in relevance & availability for consideration.

Be happy with your size - and know that to the One who matters, you are just as important as the amoeba-type organisms living on an icy moon circling a gas giant in a solar system within a spiral galaxy a few trillion, trillion, trillion light years to the left of the centre of the Milky Way. Those guys don't worry about being small - they just keep trucking.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I could say you're nothing and everything at the same time. Cause, your action, could, possibly, create a change in the universe. The only question left is, in how much time the action takes effect at the "universe level"?
At the same "time" I think time is absolutely irrelevant for the parts of the universe (because of the astronomical difference between the period of existence of every part, depending essentially on their dimension) and crucial for the founder or "the event" of its "own creation" (universe) .

The opposite could be true for the nothing scenario.

Take for example Jesus: "Love your neighbor as yourself" If really applied, this teaching, in the long long term, could have a huge difference for the fate of the universe.

my philosophical 2cent's

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
Infinity exist inside you as it goes in all direction, you are the same size as everything else, incl. the universe around you.

So I am infinite?

I like this answer.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Really small eh? Is their a significance in geometric size when a life force and expansive human mind is coursing through our "small" bodies?

Hey, I can fit the structure of you, earth, the star, the galaxy, and many more mental structures in my mind.

Shoot! Not so small after all...
edit on 19-2-2015 by Elementalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Elementalist

I understand what you are getting at and I kinda feel the same
Though I also understand I only understand a very small part of the big picture

But yes in a way size does not really matter

The Earth and all it's inhabitants are important ... we are a part of something truly mind blowing

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Insignificant or small?

Here's a hint, if you mean small:
heasarc.nasa.gov - Cosmic Distance Scales...

.......The Earth is then about 1.3 cm in diameter (the size of a grape). The Moon orbits about a foot away. The Sun is 1.5 meters in diameter (about the height of a man) and 150 meters (about a city block) from the Earth.......A human on this scale is the size of an atom; the nearest star would be over 40,000 km away!

So the clue is: If everything was reduced in size by a factor of a billion a human would be the size of an atom.

So divide the rough dimensions of a human by 1,000,000,000 and we're close to the size of an atom?

Another clue: A human hair is about as thick as 500,000 carbon atoms stacked on top of each other.

And I read if an atom was the size of a marble then our hand would be the size of Earth. That's a big hint.

This is a start!

Ok, so we've just picked a few clues. We need to find more. Another one I find by googling the size of the observable universe. (Since the non-observable universe may be infinite, we'll just focus on the observable) Apparently it's a sphere and it's 92 billion light years across. 1 light-year is 5.878625 trillion miles. So the sphere is 92 billion X 5.878625 trillion miles across, or 5.878625x1000x1000x1000x1000x1000x1000x1000x92 miles.

Here's a very cool interactive scale graphic for small objects starting with a coffee bean and going down to a carbon atom:
learn.genetics.utah.edu - Cell Size and Scale...

EDIT: If I recall right, the relative distances between stars - versus their size - is more dramatic than the distances between galaxies.
edit on 19-2-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: rival
Our human size relative to the smallest known particle and the estimated size
of the known universe is about midpoint.

The universe is obviously big, but don't underestimate how small the
building blocks are...

I think you would be right. Quarks or gluons (or protons or electrons) or whatever are VERY small, much smaller than atoms. Most of an atom is empty. Yet even though ~99.999999999999% of an atom is empty space, it still constitutes what we know as size, even though most of the mass is coming from the nucleus.

Yet keep in mind we don't really know the full size of the universe outside the observable. I think I've read it may be infinite(ly flat?). And there're theories which include bubble universes or whatever. Our comparisons between the macro and micro might be incomplete or even trivial.

If a human is something like ~1 meter in size and we're just comparing ourselves to atoms (not subatomic particles) then anything over ~1,000,000 miles in diameter or height is going to be more impressive in terms of the orders of magnitude. For example, we're closer to the Earth - or even the Sun - in terms of our height versus an atom, but things larger than the sun will be a greater order of magnitude difference than the size difference between an atom and a human.
edit on 19-2-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2   >>

join