It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The hatred of debunkers

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
To many around nothing unbelievable or unexplainable has ever happened.

To many around everything that has happened is in many ways unbelievable and unexplainable.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
The Skeptics are doing just fine.

It is the rest of the 'alternative' community that needs to take a long hard look at itself. Terence Mckenna had this to say about 'the UFO crowd' but it applies to all the departments within this madhouse...

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: AshOnMyTomatoes

Yeah that makes sense.

Hopefully you understand where I was coming from.

There is nothing wrong with debunking something that warrants skepticism.

I, & from what I read, Stirling was referring to needless efforts to debunk something just for confrontational sake.

Sorry if what I said seemed a bit offensive or blunt.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

Yeah that makes sense.

Hopefully you understand where I was coming from.

There is nothing wrong with debunking something that warrants skepticism.

I, & from what I read, Stirling was referring to needless efforts to debunk something just for confrontational sake.

Sorry if what I said seemed a bit offensive or blunt.

I agree with you. Also, I don't think you and Stirling are coming at this from the same angle. Just sayin'.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I thought this thread was about the hate debunkers bring in with them, not people hating them.

Like the pyramid machine example. If someone (many do) think the pyramids were some sort of machine, and someone exploring that concept wishes to consider possible uses for said machine, they will get no where because...

OP. SO IF x... what possible Ys?

Debunkers. No X . Never was.

Believers. Yes hhuh.

Debunkers nuh uh.

Someone starts to write something interesting, then decides against it, or doesn't, but it gets lost in the circle.

Half of the debunkers should make their own page which list all their opinions about things and just post a link every time.

Lots can be gained from exploring even an openly and apparently facetious claim. Just ask Chris Columbus.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ISawItFirst

Half of the debunkers should make their own page which list all their opinions about things and just post a link every time.
Such a page already exists, it's called Wikipedia.

Lots can be gained from exploring even an openly and apparently facetious claim. Just ask Chris Columbus.
He'd tell you that he was setting out to find a passage to the East Indies, on a world that was known to be round by everyone involved. Then he'd probably give you syphilis.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
they are the most frightened

a reply to: network dude

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Actually, it is a modern misconception that the prevailing cosmological view during the Middle Ages saw the Earth as flat, instead of spherical.

The ancient Greeks figured that one out yonks ago.

Consider yourself debunked!

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: stirling

They jump in to debunk anything regardless of the subject even when the poster is calling for speculation on some premise or other.....

Couldn't agree more, there was a perfect example the other day about the Tesla company. Even though the OP made it clear there was speculation on their part, bang, thread gets ramraided.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell
edit on 15-2-2015 by myselfaswell because: forgot quote

edit on 15-2-2015 by myselfaswell because: spelling dagnabit

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: LiveForever8

And the hard evidence for a spherical Earth was proven correct by the first cosmonaut who saw it with his own eyes
The cats and monkeys they sent up first unfortunately never returned and could not talk anyway
edit on 15-2-2015 by artistpoet because: Typo

(post by douglas5 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: LiveForever8
My theory is:

Believer + Time = Debunker/Skeptic.

I believe this is closest to true.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

If that equation were true, then why are there so many religious nutjobs on the planet, and so many other people who "believe" other things ?.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Actually, it is a modern misconception that the prevailing cosmological view during the Middle Ages saw the Earth as flat, instead of spherical.

The ancient Greeks figured that one out yonks ago.

Consider yourself debunked!

Yah. I know that. I was just waiting for you to come along and prove my point. Troll trap. Seem to have caught my limit today.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   

The Skeptics are doing just fine.

It is the rest of the 'alternative' community that needs to take a long hard look at itself. Terence Mckenna had this to say about 'the UFO crowd' but it applies to all the departments within this madhouse...
I like that video a lot. Sums up my viewpoint very well. Extravagant claims require extravagant evidence.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell

If that equation were true, then why are there so many religious nutjobs on the planet, and so many other people who "believe" other things ?.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell
Because my caveat to that equation is true. Time required varies from person to person. For some people, the time required exceeds the lifespan of the person.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Debunking has become a new age religion in itself. It is totally a belief system, that they try and hide with words like science and critical thinking.

A good example of this is the skeptics society. Here we have certain people who do conferences and talk to a crowd about debunking. Now, these people pay money to see this, and you have to ask yourself why.

They enjoy it. Take that part away from them and they are a shell of a person.

Michael shermer, a hardcore skeptic spoke about a an experience him and his wife had, that in his words "shook his scepticism to the core"

As soon as he said this, the angry debunkers started running him down and talking about his like they would one of their believer enemies.

Its quite sad because there are some good skeptics out there that do a lot of good for the subject, but just like the hardcore believers who believe everything, you also have these debunkers.

They think they are so different than the hardcore believers, but in reality, they are just the same.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Don't get me wrong, in some sense I agree, however I should note that a believers belief can increase with time.

Sceptic or Believer = (Inquisitor + research + time) ± (quantum + quality of evidence)

It's a bit more long winded but I'm sure you get the point.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell
edit on 15-2-2015 by myselfaswell because: whateva

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jay-morris

Its quite sad because there are some good skeptics out there that do a lot of good for the subject, but just like the hardcore believers who believe everything, you also have these debunkers.

Yeah, but the good ones are rare. Most skeptics are just believers defending their belief system and attacking rival belief systems. Of course they don't think of themselves as believers, but that's because their "skepticism" is unidirectional. They are thieves. They steal the label of skeptic. They are pseudo-skeptics.

👣

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
I find the debunkers to be egregious fat heads at times....
They jump in to debunk anything regardless of the subject even when the poster is calling for speculation on some premise or other.....
They have this attitude of they khow best and many threads get devolved into useless arguments over the validity of stated premise rather than discussing the posted theory....
Its all so ego driven they miss the entire point of such maunderings...and derail thoughtful threads that call for imaginative discussion of a particular premise rather than the debunking of the whole subject.
Its an attitude ATS has to lose....perhaps they have issues......no need to screw up others pondering to brow beat them with mainstream attitudes....
Some people here view it as a duty to disrupt or derail threads because they wish to appear oh so intelligent....
In actuality they are being rude and wilfully stupid.as well as ignorant.

I agree with everything you've said here good Sir (or Ma'am as the case may be) and bolded the obvious for emphasis.

So many valuable topics of interest can no longer even be speculated upon, without this crew of people ruining the topic completely. I have been witnessing it for the past year as a member and before that as an observer...and the worst threads are the ones with people posting "nothing to see here" or "thread debunked" - as if THEY are the sole authority on finality of discussion. It's both pretentious AND arrogantly presumptuous.

ATS is not what it used to be, and is becoming less and less deserving of my time - which is unfortunate, to witness the potential having changed so much as of late.
edit on 15-2-2015 by MoonBlossom because: More Words

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join