It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The hatred of debunkers

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
I could ask the time of day. Maybe it was an animal going by the window that causes a shadow to go across your face. I'm not trying to dissect every possible ghost encounter idea you can throw at me here in this thread. I'm not going to deny that there are bad debunking arguments, but there are no restrictions on these thoughts even if you don't like them.

First, I think some are taking my ghost example too far in trying to dissect every angle, and that wasn't my point. I never said there are restrictions, but in your case unless you were there or had a way to go there I really do not see what you can provide other than suggestions for the person with the ghost story to look for in explaining it within the laws of physics we know of. But we both know that is not the directions most of these go, now don't we...

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Dbl post
edit on 15-2-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Missmissie173

I like that.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Well what you are alluding goes back to what I originally said. If you are going to put forth the assumption that you saw a ghost, you have to take into consideration that people are going to question that assumption. It is a valid critique.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Missmissie173
Maybe there should be an all inclusive NASTY FORUM...you take your chances if you go into that forum and you know it will be Nasty.

We have one of those..Its called the Chemtrail forum.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Maybe there should be an all inclusive NASTY FORUM...you take your chances if you go into that forum and you know it will be Nasty.

I hate that idea

If we had such a forum ... Maybe posters who post nice or civil comments could have their post removed as "off topic"
Or even ban them

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tucket

originally posted by: Missmissie173

We have one of those..Its called the Chemtrail forum.

originally posted by: smurfy

You don't make a conspiracy out of a fantasy..that's stupid.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: artistpoet

I hate that idea

If we had such a forum ... Maybe posters who post nice or civil comments could have their post removed as "off topic"
Or even ban them

'Namaste' -> 'KILL IT WITH FIRE!'

i'm all for it.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Why such a forum here, when GLP is just around the corner.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Circular discussion is pointless....
I fail to believe that the posters cannot read between the lines here....( most fail to even comprehend what they did read anyways...).so im off.... have a nice day.....tata

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ivar_Karlsen

Why such a forum here, when GLP is just around the corner.

A haven of truth in a world of darkness.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
Circular discussion is pointless....
I fail to believe that the posters cannot read between the lines here....( most fail to even comprehend what they did read anyways...).so im off.... have a nice day.....tata
I just read through your crop circle thread, as you seemed so keen to bring it as an example. You got angry at the first point that was contrary to yours, and ended up with a post removed by a mod in your own thread. Perhaps the problem isn't with the debunkers? You admitted earlier in this thread that you're still angry about that thread. That was two months ago.

ETA: also, it was in the Ancient Civilizations forum, not the Grey Area.
edit on 15-2-2015 by AshOnMyTomatoes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: AshOnMyTomatoes

Bull#e...
Speculation is speculation...when called for by the OP there is no need to then dismiss the whole subject because it doesn't fit your particular world views......
Calls for such skylarking are not calls for pseudo intellectual bashing of the entire subject with the generally accepted crap commonly held by those who wish to cling to science as if its God or something.....

Time and again Science has debunked itself only to change the story again with the next debunk......
Let me exemplify.....

I posted a speculative question....are the ancient stone circles we see across the globe perhaps the result of the appearance of ancient crop circles?

The #storm of crop circle debunkers was soon to follow with their denial that crop circles may be formed by other than human forces......thread was DOA with the crap that flew about the reality of the circles instead of the discussion I was trying to promote.....nuff said....and im still pissed about it too.....

These people seem to want to brow beat the concept, shoot the messenger, and puff up their own smarmy self image as
some kind of genius rationalists....whist hiding behind the guise of being rationalists.

Now honest debunking is nessessary for the refinement of ideas but that's the crap one has to wade through to explore
novel concepts.....but dismissal out of hand seems to be the debunkers specialty along with the belittling of the poster if factys get bandied about.....
The debunkers follow the same proceedures as outlined by the UFO researcher and physicist who started the whole Roswell investigation.....(I forget his name atm)

When a premise is stated for discussion its a given the subject is experimental and the skylarking of ideas is called for not debunking with predjudice......
Why should debunkers be allowed this breach of T%C to derail discussion........?

If there is a fiction forum on this site, that is where one should be posting things that are purely speculative and/or based in no way in reality. Your wholesale rejection of science in this post either puts you firmly in the category of delusional, or novelist. If you want to have a conversation about fantasy, that remains in fantasy, then the realm of fiction is what you're looking for. Otherwise, don't be surprised when someone holds your toes to the fire when you make highly speculative claims.

Does this ring a bell?

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
Debunking. The art of removing bunk.

I prefer skepticism. The process of doubting in order to arrive at relative or approximate certainty.

The problem is, the spirit of skepticism is very often tainted by disbelief, denial, habitual thought, cynicism, laziness, group-think. Then you have pseudo-skeptics not true skeptics.

👣

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: AshOnMyTomatoes

Bull#e...
Speculation is speculation...when called for by the OP there is no need to then dismiss the whole subject because it doesn't fit your particular world views......
Calls for such skylarking are not calls for pseudo intellectual bashing of the entire subject with the generally accepted crap commonly held by those who wish to cling to science as if its God or something.....

Time and again Science has debunked itself only to change the story again with the next debunk......
Let me exemplify.....

I posted a speculative question....are the ancient stone circles we see across the globe perhaps the result of the appearance of ancient crop circles?

The #storm of crop circle debunkers was soon to follow with their denial that crop circles may be formed by other than human forces......thread was DOA with the crap that flew about the reality of the circles instead of the discussion I was trying to promote.....nuff said....and im still pissed about it too.....

These people seem to want to brow beat the concept, shoot the messenger, and puff up their own smarmy self image as
some kind of genius rationalists....whist hiding behind the guise of being rationalists.

Now honest debunking is nessessary for the refinement of ideas but that's the crap one has to wade through to explore
novel concepts.....but dismissal out of hand seems to be the debunkers specialty along with the belittling of the poster if factys get bandied about.....
The debunkers follow the same proceedures as outlined by the UFO researcher and physicist who started the whole Roswell investigation.....(I forget his name atm)

When a premise is stated for discussion its a given the subject is experimental and the skylarking of ideas is called for not debunking with predjudice......
Why should debunkers be allowed this breach of T%C to derail discussion........?

If there is a fiction forum on this site, that is where one should be posting things that are purely speculative and/or based in no way in reality. Your wholesale rejection of science in this post either puts you firmly in the category of delusional, or novelist. If you want to have a conversation about fantasy, that remains in fantasy, then the realm of fiction is what you're looking for. Otherwise, don't be surprised when someone holds your toes to the fire when you make highly speculative claims.

Does this ring a bell?
Yeah, I said that earlier.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Its my bad the thread was in ancient civilisations...did you read the disclaimer in the OP?
First sentence....
this maybe should be in the grey area or hoax bin....but ....whats not to understand about that?
Its always the same old #e....im done...its a nice day here and who needs this fruitless crap...
There are none so blind as those who will not see.....
good day sir....

edit on 15-2-2015 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: stirling

The forum you post a thread in does not exempt said thread from skepticism, nor does the thread poster have sole right to direct the flow of conversation.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
My theory is:

Believer + Time = Debunker/Skeptic.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: LiveForever8
My theory is:

Believer + Time = Debunker/Skeptic.

I think I can agree with this. I'd also state that the time required seems to vary wildly from person to person.

As another example, I was a long-time lurker at this site until I believe December 2009, when the Norway Spiral event happened. What a wild, bizarre phenomenon that was. I was wide-eyed and spooked for I'd say....20 minutes, until an explanation involving a failed rocket launch was offered. I experienced the appropriate "oh right, of COURSE" response and moved on.

(Side note: the initial freakiness and subsequent debunking of that event aside, I'm still worried about why an apparent ICBM test was happening that was aimed in the direction of a country the newly-elected President was visiting at the time. But that's a thread all it's own)

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: AshOnMyTomatoes

I agree to an extent. I started out on these forums as a believer in many things, but it was only after looking at all the evidence and arguments against these things that I became a skeptic. Too many times, believing is the result of not wanting to look at all the evidence, only the evidence that agrees with you. If you cannot overcome this hurdle, you will never move on intellectually no matter how much time you spend in the subject.
edit on 15-2-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join