It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Very Real Scourge of Wage Theft

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

That's what I thought....G'nite...

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

I guess NWT knew I was going to ask him once again to explain his statement:

As far as a living wage goes, more left fraud.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Nobody deserves a living wage period.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

But do we deserve the right to earn a living wage?

Edit: This thread was on the topic of wage theft until I made the mistake of asking NWTrucker to explain this comment he made:

As far as a living wage goes, more left fraud.

edit on 15-2-2015 by AlaskanDad because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

I totally agree with you. I know that a lot of bad things have been happening and wages have been in massive decline and the trucking industry is going to decline at some point as well as it already has been for the bigger companies so he will start feeling the reality of the economy as more and more college graduates get their CDLs because they have no other options.

My entire family is getting into truck driving right now because construction just working anymore.

I apologize for the runon sentence.
edit on 2/15/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   

My dad retired from trucking and my lil sister drives truck, me I was the odd ball and wanted to come home after a days work.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   

I know that's the hard part. It sucks but the opportunities are few and far between. I'm lucky I know a broker so Im very very lucky. Mr routes are 2 day runs and my uncles buying us the trucks.

On topic though I've had employers try to take my money that's why whenever I work I take pictures of the time clock and my cards.

You have to document everythin people CANNOT be trusted. It's really sad that the people who actually keep this country moving don't get the better pay.
edit on 2/15/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
a reply to: research100

ETA: .... only put about 70% effort into your job (do a good job though) because they will still want more, and don't be afraid to blow the whistle if you know they are breaking the laws (or use it on them for blackmail)...

You are the problem with society. Poor workers like you are the reason employers run things the way they do. You should really be ashamed, not gloating.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Taking pics of your time card is brilliant; sad that the world is such a place that one needs to do this though!

When I first started work it was in restaurants, then I moved to carpentry construction, both of these fields I was cheated out of a lot of my pay. When I was welding I only had one company try to rob me, they were not wanting to pay my last two paychecks. A trip to L & I and two days later I was picking up my pay checks.

My favorite work was logging, to bad it was the wrong time as it was winding down as I was growing up. I just loved dumping those big ole trees and sending them down the mountain. I worked Skagit towers, horse logged one winter, did lots of cat logging, but running skidders was the ultimate in 4 wheel drive fun!

Good luck with the trucking!

edit on 15-2-2015 by AlaskanDad because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: DenyTreason
And not long ago, Republicans were expressing joyful interest in eliminating overtime pay for American workers. Why? To help their bribing corporate/big-business types, thats why.

Can you cite a source on this? Or prove this was a "joyfully expressed interest"? I'm legitimately curious.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: stolencar18

Try using a search engine:

many links on the GOP plan to eliminate overtime

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Here's the thing - Most of what I see being griped about on this thread is stuff that is already illegal.

So what are you wanting done to fix it - More laws.

I have to know. If the people doing this have so little respect for the laws that they are breaking the ones already in place ... what makes you think new ones will make the situation any better? The same people will just find ways to break those.

All that will happen is that the good employers will be put under even more stress jumping through more hoops and there will, in the end, be fewer of them because more of them will finally quit saying, 'Why bother?"

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

No one is saying any new laws need to be made, but rather wage theft happens and one should be aware of it and understand such things should be reported.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   

And that's fine. It's either that or leave that employer and make it known that the employer is bad. Let market forces work. There are ways to do that just like employers have ways of finding out which prospects are good and which are bad when it comes to hiring.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Good morning. A living wage. A fraud. Minimum wage has never been a "living wage". Yet the left to buy votes and create a permanent service class would raise the minimum wage to a living wage.

Irrespective of the jobs we would lose. Irrespective that an employer won't hire a youth when he could get an adult for the same monies.

I shoveled snow as a kid for money. need a permit these days. Had a paper-route for money. See any paperboys any more??

With the exception of hardcore leftists like in Seattle, the only time the minimum wage is raised by the left is just before a federal election when they are getting killed in the polls AND when they don't have control of Congress. ( Both occurred with Obama and Clinton.

The way to increase wages is creating jobs. It is called supply and demand. However, any time the right proposes legislation that loosens things up for business the left labels it more money for the rich.

They bring in and legalize MILLIONS of workers, drive the supply up and the wages down, then 'say' they're doing something for the 'oppressed' "worker" not employees, worker..that comes out of who's hand-book? Lenin's...

This generation spends their money on high tech phones 200 Dollar tennis shoes and saves squat. We lived at home when we started work and worked for minimum wage...TO START.

Dare I say get two jobs?.....

A generation of professional victims.

Wage stealing by business exists, fight it. Wage stealing by employees exist, fight it.

The last point, in Seattle's case, is now that so many social programs have been set up by the left in the name of more votes, It costs them a fortune in assistance programs when the economy is weak. Forcing business to up the minimum wage pushes the city's social expenses down by shifting it to local business. Follow the money trail....

Of course, it's the little business that suffers, Alaska Airlines refused to up their minimum wage as they aren't a local company. Own a small fast-food franchise? Your stuck.

That's the 'new left'. That's why I left the Democrats. Unfortunately, the Republicans suck in their own right. Just like both employers and employees can be crooks so are both parties.

What we do is sort through the traps and B.S. and survive the best we can for us and our kids. That's the reality always was and always will be..

Short answer? DEAL WITH IT .

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 06:58 AM
link   

I'd like to see you do what I had to and endure some of the dirty tricks they played. You have no idea. After putting in 100% for a couple of years, you learned that everyone else was letting you do it all. 70% effort was more than enough for the crap they put me through. You're opinion is completely uninformed concerning the working conditions I put up with for 5 years before I became broken by their crap. It was a job I should have quit the first week like all the other people they hired after me.

The pay was so low I had to ride a bicycle to work 7 miles one way, mostly up hill, then do all the hard physical labor no one else wanted to do. I just turned fifty when I quit. I'm sure my 70% effort would blow your best efforts away. Your the one to be ashamed, I was the best thing to ever happen there and it wasn't until I left did they figured that one out. I should have been manager because I had to deal with everything because the manager was never there.

I'm sure it's people like you that have had it easy in comparison, you wouldn't survive a day in my world buddy, even if you were a kid in his 20s.

Yeah, I'm sure it is people like me that is the problem with society, not bastards like I worked for for 5 years.
edit on 16-2-2015 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

A good day to you NWTrucker!

A living wage. A fraud. Minimum wage has never been a "living wage". Yet the left to buy votes and create a permanent service class would raise the minimum wage to a living wage. Irrespective of the jobs we would lose. Irrespective that an employer won't hire a youth when he could get an adult for the same monies.

Yet that is exactly what is happening today, many minimum wage jobs are being taken by adults with skills just to try to make ends meet.

The way to increase wages is creating jobs. It is called supply and demand. However, any time the right proposes legislation that loosens things up for business the left labels it more money for the rich.

We have been creating new jobs and most are minimum wage; the job market has never been such that there was zero unemployed. Even using the governments figures which only track those being paid unemployment there has never been a time that there was full employment in the US of A.

They bring in and legalize MILLIONS of workers, drive the supply up and the wages down, then 'say' they're doing something for the 'oppressed' "worker" not employees, worker..that comes out of who's hand-book? Lenin's..

I have never taken an interst in the writtings of Lenin, but since you claim familiarity with his works could you please direct me to a link containing the specifics of which you have posted?

The last point, in Seattle's case, is now that so many social programs have been set up by the left in the name of more votes, It costs them a fortune in assistance programs when the economy is weak. Forcing business to up the minimum wage pushes the city's social expenses down by shifting it to local business. Follow the money trail....

If you have so much dislike for the liberal city of Seattle, try moving to Spokane where liberal is a four letter word, enjoy!

That's the 'new left'. That's why I left the Democrats. Unfortunately, the Republicans suck in their own right. Just like both employers and employees can be crooks so are both parties.

To both parties being crooks I 100% agree! And I would add many of the independent party candidates are nothing but dems and reps taking away most chances of voting for a real change in the system.

Politicians suck!!!!

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck

I'd like to see you do what I had to and endure some of the dirty tricks they played. You have no idea. After putting in 100% for a couple of years, you learned that everyone else was letting you do it all. 70% effort was more than enough for the crap they put me through. You're opinion is completely uninformed concerning the working conditions I put up with for 5 years before I became broken by their crap. It was a job I should have quit the first week like all the other people they hired after me.

The pay was so low I had to ride a bicycle to work 7 miles one way, mostly up hill, then do all the hard physical labor no one else wanted to do. I just turned fifty when I quit. I'm sure my 70% effort would blow your best efforts away. Your the one to be ashamed, I was the best thing to ever happen there and it wasn't until I left did they figured that one out. I should have been manager because I had to deal with everything because the manager was never there.

I'm sure it's people like you that have had it easy in comparison, you wouldn't survive a day in my world buddy, even if you were a kid in his 20s.

Yeah, I'm sure it is people like me that is the problem with society, not bastards like I worked for for 5 years.

I stand by my statement. People who choose to slack off but expect the benefits of those who work harder than them are the problem with society. Also, people who whine like children and then speculate about being harder worker than others that they don't even know really lose all credibility.

Finally, you don't know "my world" nor do I know yours. I simply know that you said that you would only give 70% - that makes you a problem. People who CHOOSE to be less than they can be are worth less than others, at least when it comes to wages. Your attitude has built your world. Live in it and quit crying, or work harder and climb out.

I have to add this...
You say you're the best thing they ever had and should have been boss? How arrogant are you? If the place didn't recognize your efforts you're a fool for not quitting sooner. You complain about low pay - Why did you stay? Don't say "there are no other jobs". Look around at the millions of immigrants getting jobs. They're getting ahead of you. Not only should you be ashamed of your attitude, you should be humiliated that others around you are willing to work harder at other jobs that they walk to while you complain about a 15 minute bike ride.

Frankly, the fact that you say "even if I'm in my 20's I couldn't keep up with you" is bs. I give 100%. I always have. I gave 100% at my first job at 12 years old shoveling horse crap from a barn. I gave 100% packing groceries. I gave 100% making fries. I gave 100% driving truck. Now I give 100% in a great supervisory type role where I have more upwards mobility. What's your excuse? I grew up poor, started out shoveling #, literally, and now I'm quite satisfied with my life (in my 30's, making less than 6 figures, full benefits, pension, company vehicle and gas, great family, etc). What's your excuse for not moving up?

Do you think maybe it could be your # attitude? Or was the other 30% the missing piece?

They say I should respect my elders. I respect those deserving of it. You deserve none. At your age, with the work ethic of a child and the attitude of a hormonal teenager, topped off with the bitterness of 50+ years of wallowing in your own misery...No wonder you're stuck.
edit on 16-2-2015 by stolencar18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

You too, sir. Although, I get up around 2 A.M. usually. We seem to agree on most of the current situation. I wasn't referring to you personally re 'worker'. It's part of them vs us mentality. As I have pointed out more than once I see crap from both ends. Sideways and up and down..LOL.

I'd agree there are few 'real' jobs been created. I.E. full work week and a decent wage. Seems the oil industry-at least in the lower 48- has produced a few. ( Fracking and shale hasn't done Alaska much good either, from what I can see.)

Re Seattle, I'm sure not paying 10 bucks for an egg McMuffin so some a-hole can get a "living wage". I don't live in Seattle. It was just an eg. The hourly rate for truckers in the Seattle area is around 15-20 per hour, why the hell drive a big-rig for that kind of money when one can get 15 an hour for "do you want cheese on your burger". It sets off a chain-reaction right up the food chain...with the resulting wage increases passed right back to the consumer...thee and me. Inflation. Bye, Bye any gain the 15 per hour gets you. Added in less jobs over-all and it is clear, this is no solution.

FYI, Washington St. already has the highest minimum wage in the nation and like Alaska, no state income tax. (they, also like Alaska, make it up in the gas tax..
)

I trucked loads up your way for a couple years, Sam's club, Fred Meyer and other produce loads all around the state from the lower 48.

I'm a bit radical on job creation. Import duties for non-U.S. manufactured goods. Sufficient to drive manufacturing back to the U.S. and we will get some real jobs again. We can't compete with wage levels is Asia without duties. Raising the wages arbitrarily just drives up the cost of doing business in the U.S. more and we end up screwed even more by outside market forces.

I think we see the same problems. Just different solutions?

edit on 16-2-2015 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Everything I stated is fact, I was the best they ever had and worked circles around the rest of those jerks. A 15 minute bike ride? LOL Your a huge laugh! Do you even exercise?

Who said I was stuck and wallowing? I was doing great in the city, but I hated it and moved to an area that has little options concerning a 9-5 type job. I would be upwardly mobile had I stayed with it, but eventually I'd end up here, in the woods.

Now I own 40 acres, my own place, everything is paid for, and I owe no one, even have the mineral rights. I'm sure I'm in a much better position than most. Also, I'm not bitter about my life, just those jerks I used to work for, you'd say the same had you worked there, unless you're just like they are, then you'd fit right in. I'm actually getting on great on my own terms now, I'm fine with that. Things will be much better soon, I expect great returns on my newest venture.

Anyway, you aren't worth my effort, you'll never really understand I don't intend on entertaining your BS any more. See you in the funny pages StolenCar.

ETA: I thought I point out that in order to bicycle 7 miles in 15 minutes, you'd need to attain a speed of about 28 miles per hour. I'd like to see that on a strait-a-way, much less up hill, esp with the antique 10-speed Kent mountain bike I had. I averaged between 8 to 10 miles per hour. I did build a bike with a 5 horse engine, it does about 25mph and dogged up those same hills, I even had to pedal it to help it up the hills.

edit on 17-2-2015 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

edit on 17-2-2015 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added comments

edit on 17-2-2015 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

<< 1  2   >>

join