It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If knowlege is power...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Mads1987

Knowledge is not power. Knowledge is simply dormant information. Only when this information becomes weighed empirically does it become transcended into wisdom. Power is found is wisdom: application of knowledge.

Violence; is a reaction to a process which you feel you have no control of. Violence is lack of control. Lack of control is lack of knowledge. Violence is the result of the lack of knowledge of a different option. Violence is stupidity.

Violence results from a lack of imagination on a grand scale...

Bad things happen because of stupid people. Education is the solution.

Bad things happen because of a severe lack of moral integrity. Education cannot teach morals...education only provides knowledge and there is no power found in that. Take a look around....

Here is a perfect example: In the video, you will see two people who possess the knowledge on how to operate a motor vehicle. Yet, their emotional intelligence is at undisciplined low.

Female Road Rage in Florida:

edit on 15-2-2015 by Involutionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Involutionist

You are not the first to point out this distinction in the thread. I am fine with you calling it wisdom. English isn't my first language, and I might be a bit of on some of the definitions. But I still think my conclusion is correct whether you call it one or the other. To me wisdom and knowledge are basically the same thing - wisdom is something you know and learn, just as anything else.

But I disagree with you that education can't teach morals. This might be another matter of us disagreeing on the meaning of a word. But when you say that morals are taught, I would say that that implies education. Understand me right, I am not only referring to school. Parents can educate their children, and teach them morals etc.
But either way, I think that the only way to be moral and to have empathy, is through knowledge and understanding. That is how I learned my most valuable lessons, by meeting different people and learning about them and their lives. Its all about exposure to knowledge.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

I think that the only way to be moral and to have empathy, is through knowledge and understanding. That is how I learned my most valuable lessons, by meeting different people and learning about them and their lives.Its all about exposure to knowledge.

Exposure to knowledge is one aspect. Application of information that allows for it to become validated through weighing it empirically is another aspect.

To me wisdom and knowledge are basically the same thing - wisdom is something you know and learn, just as anything else.

To me, it is two faces of the same coin. One side is insight and the other is application -- Knowledge speaks; Wisdom listens.

Cliche quote, but it fits the train of thought atm of there being a distinct difference:

“Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.” ~ Miles Kingston

edit on 15-2-2015 by Involutionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Involutionist

Okay - I see where you are going with it - and I agree that there is a distinction. But in that case yes, more wisdom is what is needed, perhaps sprinkled with a bit of knowledge.

Either way - people getting smarter is what I am hoping for and not killing each other.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Yes, it is very stupid, but they are almost like animals at that level of awareness, quick to react, impossible to reason with, and steadfast in their will to survive despite a perceived threat.

Thankfully you can see reality in an accurate light and are not paranoid about your "race" or your "religion" - you are a human being, and we all are.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join