It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If knowlege is power...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Knowlegde is power/control/might. There is no doubt in my mind. If you know in advance, the results of your actions, and you act in accordance with your own intentions, then you have control over your life, your surroundings and your faith. Violence; is a reaction to a process which you feel you have no control of. Violence is lack of control. Lack of control is lack of knowledge. Violence is the result of the lack of knowledge of a different option. Violence is stupidity.

I write this after Copenhagen, Denmark, yesterday experienced it's first terror attack in recent times. It has been compared to the recent events in France, with the attacks on Charlie Hebdo, although with less casualties - thankfully.

I would like to say, that my first statement is not a comment on the justification of violence. I believe that we should fight systemic violence, and that the absence of power, is sometimes the result of oppression - but oppression is itself a form of violence and the result of ignorance. The mechanics are however the same regardless of what provokes this violence. Violence happens in the absence of a perceived alternative.

I wish to stress this point, so that people might understand why these things happen, and how we might prevent it. Bad things happen because of stupid people. Education is the solution.
edit on 06/06/12 by Mads1987 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Mads1987

I believe it was Einstein who said; "there are two things which are infinite. Human stupidity and the universe. Although I'm not so sure about the universe".

I agree that education can solve many of our social ills. However, good luck combating mainstream media brainwashing, and the places in this world who refuse to get out of the medieval era. If knowledge really is power, then how do we deal with the fact that not all knowledge is benevolent and good?

The world will never be short of stupidity. Sadly.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Sparkymedic

You are unfortunately right in your observations. The amount of people who actually appreciate the values of a knowledge based society is a global minority, and to change it is a monumental task. Which I will unhappily admit that I am too ignorant to solve.

But I do know how we deal with the fact that not all knowledge is "good". The solution to this problem is science. Science lets us distinguish between the probable and the improbable, with ever increasing certainty. How we use this knowledge, whether for good or evil, depends on the individuals intentions. I don't think a specific piece of information can be objectively good or evil. But my general understanding of human nature leads me to believe that we are inherently benevolent and that exposure to knowledge usually increases our capability of executing this benevolence. So I think, and hope, that simply by increasing people's exposure to scientific knowledge and helping them understand the process of eliminating falsehoods, we can make the world a better place.

Not sure if this answered your question. But I agree that there is a whole lot of stupid out there, and I don't know where to begin.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   

But I do know how we deal with the fact that not all knowledge is "good". The solution to this problem is science. Science lets us distinguish between the probable and the improbable, with ever increasing certainty.
In a world flush with integrity that could be a possibility . Number cruncher's can be just as corrupt in making their data's say what they want it to say as well if not better then your average Joe .

Science is not without it's errors and does not even address the bigger part of life as to who we are . They want empirical things they can see and touch but leave out things like love and hate . Life is not a machine but has things science cant touch and see .

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Those of nations rebuking knowledge and instead favouring ideas propagated as a means of control 1500-2000 years ago, should either stay in the geographical vicinity of the places where such notions are accepted or if they want to move from there they must alter their opinions as their opinions are something they think of as needing imposing on all of humanity. Meanwhile all of humanity doesn't agree and has their own values, views and opinions.

If you do not like the values, views, laws and opinions of other nations then just do not go there.

For now it is the best solution.

There is such a thing as international politics and democracy. If certain groups want everyone swayed to their opinion they should send a proposal to the leaders of nations asking if they agree or not, they could even put it as a democratic poll to the population, if they say no, then no it is, it is an individual choice.

There are clearly zones in the world where evolution has occurred in different ways, some have progressed immensely, technologically and philosophically some zones are as they were prehistorically.

The developed world isn't going backwards it is moving forwards, if the underdeveloped zones don't like it they can either progress or keep to their ways but imposition is not the answer.
edit on 15-2-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   

There is no such thing as good or bad knowledge.... Only good or bad intentions behind how it's used

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Luca1664

I believe that is exactly what I said.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Well I disagree. The scientific community and scientists are not without error, but the scientific method is the best method we have to distinguish the probable from the improbable with increasing certainty. This means that the system will self-correct in light of new information.

So the beautiful thing about science is that if you can prove that a current theory is wrong, it will change. So you don't have to believe anything you hear from the scientific community, but you should hold your own beliefs to the same scrutiny as you hold theirs.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Ah I just read it through again a little slower touché Mads1987

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

I don't think it is a matter of evolution, as much as the results of historical events and general environmental factors. But I do wish to some extent that I could live in a world/country where I didn't have to deal with people who share these ancient beliefs. It is just a waste of time.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   

That is only true in the sense that the establishment has the integrity to do so . Some changes in the scientific community are held in check by the status quo who for what ever reason wont allow new truths to enter the discussion . I am sure it's not like what is happening in the scientific climate debate at present but there is I suspect gate keepers who over rule what will be funded and what will be ridiculed . A new paper in Nature is a good example and one worth following .

In putting together this note, I have had the benefit of input from two statistical experts: Professor Gordon Hughes (Edinburgh University) and Professor Roman Mureika (University of New Brunswick, now retired). Both of them regard the statistical methods in Marotzke’s paper as fatally flawed.
climateaudit.org... If Science has integrity then this should be dealt with immediately . I am not going to hold my breath though because there is or seems to be higher ups that have to have this meme or agw to continue and to heck with the truth .

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Bad things happen because of highly intelligent Psychopaths who know more than most as well...

Violence isn't a lack of control or knowledge & isnt stupidity...

That's absurd indoctrination from the extremist-pacifist hippy manifesto of a fantasy utopia that doesn't exist...

If violence comes your way, or persecution...

Non-violent reactions are stupidity...

When a gun man goes on a rampage you don't sit back and grab a book to educate them...

You pull out your own gun or send the police/armed forces to kill the public threat...

And to label people stupid, unknowledgeable or out of control for using violence when necessary is false.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

You are misunderstanding my post. As I said halfway through my first post, this is NOT a comment on the justification of violence, and I agree with you that if violence comes my way, I will most likely not try to defend myself with a book.
I do think that violence as a means to fight violence is justified, and I tried to make that clear in my first post. But I also stress, that violence as a means to fight violence is still a choice we make, in the absence of a known alternative.

Ignorance of a better alternative might not always equate to stupidity. But I think it is the case more often than not. We all have a limit to our knowledge.
Ps - I am not familiar with any pacifist manifesto. But I am a firm believer that violence should always be the last option.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mads1987
Knowlegde is power/control/might. There is no doubt in my mind.

Wisdom trumps all. Knowing things is useless unless one knows what to do with the information.

Education could be the solution like you say, but who teaches it is the key element and incredibly important when we live in such a gullible world of dilute minds searching for absolutes.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

I wish to stress this point, so that people might understand why these things happen, and how we might prevent it. Bad things happen because of stupid people. Education is the solution.

Angry people aren't 'uneducated', they are educated (reared) 'differently'. They have usually been abused at an early age and, or not being given coping skills to deal with ordinary life. The result over time is a build up of a lot of little resentments that become one big cup filled with anger. At this point the slightest affront can set off huge outbursts, resulting in what we see in the news.

What is your cup filled with? What runs over into your world?

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I believe they "not being given coping skills to deal with ordinary life" and being uneducated are one and the same. I am not saying they lived their entire life in total isolation, but they have been isolated from any information that would liberate them from their current agonies.

My cup is filled with curiosity and coffee.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Angry people aren't 'uneducated', they are educated (reared) 'differently'. They have usually been abused at an early age and, or not being given coping skills to deal with ordinary life. The result over time is a build up of a lot of little resentments that become one big cup filled with anger. At this point the slightest affront can set off huge outbursts, resulting in what we see in the news.

What is your cup filled with? What runs over into your world?

Every soul has the ability to rise above the crap they have been exposed to here and control what they are putting out to not make things worse. It is hard but it can be done. Mastering the self. One step taken on that road is one step you do not have to take later.

I am still waiting for the science and spiritual groups to realize they are after the same thing. Understanding how probability/fate works on all levels of being.
edit on 15-2-2015 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Knowledge itself isn't a matter of evolution but there are zonal differences in human evolution with regards to knowledge, hence the advanced technology and philosophy rather than not evolving in any real sense of either of those.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Bad things happen because of stupid people. Education is the solution

I was addressing that remark.

Sometimes meaning gets lost.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: LittleByLittle

Every soul has the ability to rise above the crap they have been exposed to here and control what they are putting out to not make things worse. It is hard but it can be done. Mastering the self. One step taken on that road is one step you do not have to take later.

I think its more like a gift to be relieved. Some traumas run deep. They are insurmountable without outside help.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join