It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA warns of potential megadrought hitting west coast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Risk of American megadroughts

NASA study finds carbon emissions could drastically increase possibility of a megadrought

Sorry if this comes across funky, not used to posting from my phone. I live in the San Fran area of California, and its no joke here. Beyond just the normal water rationing, we have towns buying water from other towns, temps in the mid to upper 70's in FEBRUARY and wild fir seaon starting...in FEBRUARY! Climate change is here folks, time and tide wait for no man. Let's chalk up terra not-so-firma to that short list.
edit on 120152801amSun, 15 Feb 2015 01:03:35 -0600 by Gothar because: (no reason given)

edit on 120152801amSun, 15 Feb 2015 01:07:00 -0600 by Gothar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothar

I'm in Sacramento, and I am an avid gardener who was looking forward to a huge chili garden this growing season. Not good news for me, and not good news for other not so selfish sounding reasons

edit on 15-2-2015 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 03:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

Not to go back on my opinions on another post but genuinely surely desalination plants are the answer here? Expensive but useful?

Desalination plants a pricey option if drought persists
By Kevin Fagan Updated 10:52 pm, Saturday, February 15, 2014

link

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 04:27 AM
link   
This could turn out to be a good thing in the end. Necessity is the mother of invention and all that.
edit on 15-2-2015 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 04:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thorneblood
This could turn out to be a good thing in the end. Necessity is the mother of invention and all that.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thorneblood

I totally agree. If it were not for WW2 we would probably not have computing, the mobile phone or the internet. Desperation seems to make us incredibly inventive, and although it would probably be better to start working on things we can foresee far earlier, the financial commitment is not likely to convince the powers that be to actually take action until we absolutely have to.

I've long thought the same thing when it comes to our energy use. We waste so much, while complaining about the costs and the risks in the future. There is so much we could be doing right now to lower our energy consumption individually, which then adds up to massive savings nationally and globally, if only we had the incentive to actually do it.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   
This could have terrible effects on America.

Imagine all of those progressive California nutbags moving eastward, spreading failure wherever they go.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Hailing from rainy southern coast B.C....

This is welcoming news!

I know of a couple good camping spots where the Natives still let you have a camp fire during provincial fire bans. Can't tell those Natives *snip*.

This is going to be a good summer!

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   

This is not climate change due to carbon emissions or what have you. In my very humble opinion.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
This happens in the American Southwest from time to time. It killed off the Anasazi people.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Yup, picture the 1930's dust bowl on the west coast. Storms of black dust rolling across empty fields.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   

The big problem is that there doesn't seem to be any coherent management plan in place to keep them from completely draining their aquifers before they look for some other solution. If that happens, there is evidence the aquifers could settle and close completely and forever making California permanently much more arid than it has been.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

new topics

top topics

join