It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity is a death cult

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   
3NL1GHT3N3D1 You mentioned forgiving others is required to be forgiven, and earlier on had brought up about Jesus commandments to follow the Golden Rule and love God, do you feel that is all that is necessary?

I'm asking because I couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic when you brought up what Paul wrote about us all being sinners. I must confess that a part of me felt a little vexed. Vexed, because the context of this thread reminds me of the pain I put myself through when I believed practicing doing my best, wasn't good enough...

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 11:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: Tangerine

Yet the words are still there to be read. It doesn't matter what name is attributed to them, what matters is the fact that the words exist in one form or another.

I should think it would matter greatly if Jesus never existed. In fact, that would pretty much knock the bottom out of Christianity. The words attributed to him would be devoid of context.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 11:41 PM
link   

a reply to: ketsuko

Why is he telling people not to sin when it is unavoidable? It doesn't matter who he is addressing, what matters is that he tells them to stop sinning. Why is he telling them to do the impossible?

Because we are supposed to try not to.
Pretty simple, we see him go on in more detail here, starting at the end of Romans 5 and going into Romans 6

Romans 5:19-21

19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.
20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:
21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.
Romans 6:1-7
1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: 6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Actually, Bart Ehrman flat-out states, "The negative arguments are such things as the fact that there’s no physical evidence or archaeological evidence that Jesus existed—which is absolutely true. There are no writings from Jesus—absolutely true. There are no Roman sources from Jesus’ day that mention Jesus—again, true."

He Wrote a whole book saying that he did....
You might note the reviewer is not a fan of Bart.
nobeliefs.com...
edit on 14-2-2015 by Punisher75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

The words are their own context. It doesn't matter who spoke them, the fact is the concepts presented by the words are there to be read and understood.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Who is in the death cult now?

It's in the fact that Christians believe that their god needed a the blood of a spotless human being to sacrifice for a fix his sin problem.

It's in the fact that Christians emphasize the death of their god, rather than the miraculous event of a god incarnating and teaching and healing for 33 or so years.

It's in the fact that Christians defend the blood thirsty ways of their Old Testament God, who planned killed Jesus from the start.

It's in the fact that many Christians still keep the corpse of their dead God as a lucky charm.

Even the supposed birth of Jesus Christ brought about the death of lord knows how many thousands of babies, according to the Bible. Harbinger of death, indeed the Angel of death. Jesus Christ even died on the Passover, the day that the Angel of Death killed all those innocent Egyptian babies after "God" hardened the heart of the Pharaoh.

Most certainly Christianity is a death cult; A god requires death, so that we might again eat from the Tree of Life.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: dffrntkndfnml

Forgiving others is a sign of love toward them. Forgiving others is the same thing as loving others as yourself, so both teachings are one in the same. If you love someone you forgive them.

Yes, love is all you need, which is why Jesus says to follow his commands (love) to enter life.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

Every system should be challenged and Christianity is no exception. Just because you can't handle criticism doesn't mean we are hating on your religion. There are many valid points raised about the bible and its teachings, and they should not be ignored. It would be much more healthy for Christianity and its adherents to not get so offended and instead look at the teachings through perspectives other than those espoused by their local pastor or church.

Well, it seems that everytime I do make a valid point, its ignored. What would be the use of addressing these ideas if your minds are already made up?

1) Did Jesus come to pay for our sins with His death?
Yes, He accepted the title "Lamb of God who removes the sins of the world", by John the Baptist. The lamb was an atoning sacrifice.
2). Did Jesus promise eternal life and resurrection to those who believed in Him?
Yes, He said, 'whoever believes on the Son will have eternal life and will not be judged, but whoever does not believe has been judged already." Why wont we be judged for our sins? Because Jesus took that judgement upon Himself.
3). Why did Jesus pray for the "cup to be taken from Him"?
Because Jesus was supposed to die a more peaceful death 7 years later (at the end of the 62nd week), but the Pharisees had Him killed 7 years early. That is why Jesus established the Church, so that through the Body of Christ, the messiah's presence would still exist on earth after the 62nd week. Follow the timeline, no system of reckoning can show that Jesus died after the 62nd week. Had He lived to the 62nd week, His life would have been completed at age 40 (the number of testing) and the Church would have never been created.
4). Does God desire a sacrifice?
No! But a sacrifice was still called for to justify us before God. It is human failure that prompted the sacrifice, not God.

These are just a few points, but what's the use? They'll just be ignored as they have been before.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Just as you ignored everything in the OP, right?

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital
Good thread! I agree with most of your opinions.

Christianity has been perverted by Paul and the Catholic Church. I think it is quite clear that there are some worrisome contradictions between Jesus and Paul. Alas, Christians will just say that we have misinterpreted the scriptures, even though they themselves have been told how to interpret them and what to think by the church.

What if the Catholic Church is wrong or intentionally misrepresenting the scriptures? I'd say it seems possible...After all, what did become the Catholic Church was once only one Christian denomination out of many. That was, of course, before it became Rome's religion and started persecuting and denouncing other Christians who subscribed to different beliefs than them...

Nevertheless, it is only a matter of time until this thread kicks up some dust.

People always mention the catholic church but what about the eastern orthodox church? Although they have a few different pieces of apocrypha and have some more mystical ideas the foundations are the same. So how does it make sense that the Catholics changed everything when the orthodox church is very similar but did things their own way? I just had to ask this because I see it come up often and no one brings up this point. It is easy to look at the atrocities of an institution and lay blame for that we don't like upon them but it is a logical fallacy to dismiss the truth of their claims based on some incidents that occurred hundreds of years ago like the inquisition or the crusades etc.
edit on 14-2-2015 by NihilistSanta because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Oh wow, I've never seen Herod's actions in that light. Jesus' birth was the harbinger of death! Great way of putting it.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   

a reply to: Klassified

Those people in Heaven's Gate believed death brought life, which is why they killed themselves. The only difference is that Christians believe another man's death brings them life. Potayto, potahto.

But that's a BIG difference. Xtianity is not about suicide pacts. It does not teach suicide as a shortcut to heaven. It teaches quite the opposite. The sacrifice the xtian makes can only be made while they are alive in the flesh. The sacrifice of their will.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
I disagree.

Personally, others can forgive you, the Father can forgive you, everyone can forgive you, but someone still may not be able to forgive themselves.

edit on 14-2-2015 by dffrntkndfnml because: grammer

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: NihilistSanta

People always mention the catholic church but what about the eastern orthodox church? Although they have a few different pieces of apocrypha and have some more mystical ideas the foundations are the same. So how does it make sense that the Catholics changed everything when the orthodox church is very similar but did things their own way? I just had to ask this because I see it come up often and no one brings up this point. It is easy to look at the atrocities of an institution and lay blame for that we don't like upon them but it is a logical fallacy to dismiss the truth of their claims based on some incidents that occurred hundreds of years ago like the inquisition or the crusades etc.

This is a good point. What they have done knowingly or not is fall into a logical fallacy called the Genetic Fallacy
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Punisher75

I see Paul saying Christians are made in the likeness of Jesus' death. Life doesn't come until after you die right? I mean TRUE life.

"Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?"

If anything, you have proven my point. Christians are dead inside according to Paul. Life, TRUE life, doesn't come until after you die. Again, death bringing life.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Jesus committed suicide didn't he? According to Christians, Jesus willingly gave himself up to death, he even planned it ahead of time. Jesus made a suicide pact for Christians, Christians enter that pact through their faith.

Again, potayto potahto.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: DenyTreason

You call it enlightened, I call it deceived. It doesn't matter what you call it, it is what it is.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: dffrntkndfnml

Jesus said nothing about forgiving yourself, he said to forgive others. If you don't forgive others then you are not forgiven by the Father. If I forgive others their trespasses against me, by Jesus' own words I am forgiven by God for my transgressions.

We can beat around the bush all day, the fact still remains that Jesus said what he said.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   

a reply to: Punisher75

I see Paul saying Christians are made in the likeness of Jesus' death. Life doesn't come until after you die right? I mean TRUE life.

"Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?"

If anything, you have proven my point. Christians are dead inside according to Paul. Life, TRUE life, doesn't come until after you die. Again, death bringing life.

The Problem here is that he is talking about being dead to Sin...

2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
edit on 15-2-2015 by Punisher75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   

They are pertinent points which contribute to the overall discussion. Just as the opinions espoused in the OP shouldn't be ignored, neither should your opinions. If more people were willing to openly talk and provide their opinions and interpretations, these types of discussions could go a long way.
edit on 15-2-2015 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join