It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GMOs invade fruit industry: Apples, pears, cherries and peaches to all become unlabeled GMO

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I strongly support GMO labeling. Not because I buy into the pseudo-scientific claptrap that argues, much like climate deniers, that all of the scientists who say GMO are benign are wrong. Rather because there is absolutely no reason to deny the consumer an informed choice so they can operate according to their own beliefs. I have the right to decide that eating pecans is evil regardless of how absurd that might seem to others -- producers should be regulated at least to the degree that they are compelled to give me that choice by labeling. I could care less if it costs them money -- it costs them money to measure saturated fat, too, which is not "purely evil" but which some consumers like to avoid or need to avoid based on their particular health status. We don't seem to have a problem compelling them to do so in the states. To take it one step further, eating Kosher is a purely religious practice. There is no science to suggest that people need to eat Kosher. But we still honor that observant Jews should be able to buy Kosher with confidence, right? Well, if someone is a Pagan who believes that adulterating mother nature is a sin and they'd rather steer away from that ... should we make it hard for them to do? That'd be a double standard. Foods should be labeled according to what is in them so that individuals can exercise their individual right to choose.

That being said, I advise those who genuinely support GMO labeling to be very careful with the talk of "poisons" and how these foods are "dangerous". The science is not on your side. You are liable to undermine your own agenda by turning off knowledgeable folks who have looked into the matter and are offended by all of the hoopla and misinformation from the anti-GMO crew. Sorry to call it like it is, but there's a whole lot of that going on. While they should be enlightened enough to separate the absurdity of anti-GMO propaganda from the reasonable nature of GMO labeling regulation, many are not. Just support sensible policies that mutually align with your concerns and you will find far more traction. It is a matter of politics and diplomacy. If I were arguing to ensure laws that protect observant Jews from deceptive companies lying about their Kosher foods, I wouldn't do it by trying to convince the world that it needs to eat Kosher -- that non-Kosher foods are sinful. Even if I were an observant Jew who felt that way. I would instead argue that it is a basic human right to be able to exercise your own judgement and choose according to your own desires, and that manufacturers should not be allowed to keep secrets that would prevent you from doing so. It's just a matter of good debate practice, politics, diplomacy. I recommend the folks wary of GMOs take that to heart because they will find they can advance their agenda far more effectively that way.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   
GMO's bad? No way. Anyone who believes that GMO's are bad clearly has an agenda, and anyone who says GMO's are safe has NO AGENDA. We have all these crazy documentaries like Seeds of Death, and GMO OMG which are riding the gravy train by taking advantage of fear and junk science. It's often said that if you want to find the truth that you have to follow the money. When I follow the money I see on one hand a group of "documentary" film makers gaining fame and fortune from their works of fiction. On the other side, Monsanto, who does not profit, and are only doing it for the good of humanity.

Now, while I agree GMO's are great, I must disagree with not labeling them. You see, GMO's represent the pinnacle of GOD's creation becoming it's creator and splicing genetic material into new and wonderful creations. Perhaps you've seen a scifi movie where they do this, and the inevitable favorable outcome that occurs every time.

<< 1  2   >>

join