It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GMOs invade fruit industry: Apples, pears, cherries and peaches to all become unlabeled GMO

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

I agree that GMOs should be labelled for what they are GMOs.

Do you think GMOs should be labelled?

I sure do!

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: bitsforbytes

I think dangerous things should be labeled as dangerous or poisonous if they are poisonous maybe even both.

Do you agree with that?

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   

I think all things should be labelled for what they are. If its a poison label it a poison, if its GMO slap on a GMO label on it.

L
A
B
E
L

G
M
O
s

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Well, I have some good news for you then.

There are laws in place that require poisonous or dangerous things to be labeled as poisonous or dangerous. In fact, there are laws in place to keep those things out of the food supply altogether.

Even if they do manage to make it to the grocery store a poisonous or dangerous label is all I need to stay away from it.

Whenever I see arctic apples hit the store I will know they are GMO. I will be sure to see if they are labeled as dangerous or poisonous.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Who ever spoke about poison anyways?

If something is not poisonous then what is the harm in labeling it for what it is ie a GMO ?

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Apologies I thought there was some safety concern like poison with the toxic pic in the article, are you saying there is no known danger or safety concern with the apples?
edit on 14-2-2015 by Grimpachi because: durp

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   

I don't care if GMO is toxic or not, I want them to be proud of what they made and display it with a label saying:

this fruit/legume/fish/whatever was made with GMOs.

Why all the secrecy? Isn't it a great breakthrough that should be displayed for all to see? Science at its best!

I would be proud if I created such a perfect product of innovation and ingenuity. Show them what they are buying isn't it only fair?

Label it now!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

I don't care if GMO is toxic or not

Oh....

Well then I wish you luck.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   
we all need to get heirloom apple seeds and plant apple trees in our yards or the yards of our relatives/friends. no gmo apples, dag nabbit.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: undo

And soon! Before they are declared a non-native invasive species and rooted out by, well, the roots!

GMO could mean something as simple as the farmer noticed big apples on this tree last year - he grafted a branch from big apple tree onto little apple tree, or cross-pollinated or whichever mechanism is needed for apples to reproduce. By introducing the genetics from big apple tree to little apple tree, he has technically created a Genetically Modified Organism. Would I worry about eating the progeny of that? Nope. It's all still apples.

But when you reach down into that DNA, that cellular level stuff, and start changing fundamental processes directly AT that level, with malice aforethought, we have suddenly introduced the oranges to the equation. Those changes have not been studied for extended periods, within the human organism. We just do not know how much of the original apple DNA we can play with before we convert apples into something that never existed, and for which we are not prepared.

CAUTION is urged with these things. So when the USDA says that they never looked at human impact before approving these trees - they only looked at what these trees could carry to other trees - red signal lights all over the place for me.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Are you saying I should stay away from arctic apples when they come to the grocery store?

No, I am saying you are capable of making an informed choice for yourself and you should not be denied relevant information of the source of your food.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

That's why my first question was if anyone can tell me if there are any studies on the apples indicating they are safe or unsafe.

That is the information I have determined that I need to know to make an informed choice. While some may not care if they are safe or not, for me that is my main concern.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 06:23 AM
link   

No study is needed, the fact that corporations can replace nature with their patent is enough to cause alarm.

Do you want nature to be replaced with patented plants and seeds belonging to one entity?

It is foolish for us to let this happen.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

The solution is simple. The non GM producers should sell their goods clearly labelled as "This is NOT genetically modified". Then people still have the choice. There are only two ways this can fail;

1. The GM producers put the same label on their food, which would be a lie and I'm sure there are already plenty of fraud laws and food labelling laws which can hang them for doing that.
2. Government legislation is introduced banning the labelling of Non GM food as Non GM.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   
WE DONT NEED THEM!!!

Natural fruits made it this far without the need of monsatans help. They grow quite nicely as they are, but!!! monsatan can't patent them so.....create gmo and then they can claim ownership. Thats all this is about!

GREED AND CONTROL.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Indeed, if monsatano own the pat for apples you have to pay them to grow apples. Just like grain farmers around the world have to pay them to grow grain crops.
The US FDA said that it was of benefit to trees. They didn't consider humans when making the decsion!
What?
Please tell me I've misunderstood that......

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   
They've already GM'd bananas, with no announcement at all. Less than a decade ago, bananas were the best natural laxative there was.

The bananas I've bought in the past few years (all labels, all grocery stores) don't have this attribute. And if I slice one to eat with breakfast, the cut side quickly turns to a gel-mush.

I long for the Good Ole' Days when you could slice up a banana and put it in your cereal with milk and sugar, and NOT have the banana turn to a pile of goo ...

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

That is a good solution and I have seen this tactic already used by some products in my local grocery store. I know that I will pay more for organic, non-GMO products.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Now, to get benefit out of food, we need to oxidize it or there is less food value. So they are making apples that have less nutrition. We can eat them all day and gain nothing from them. Why not just eat plastic?

Food value is not limited to just vitamins and minerals, there are a lot of chemicals in foods, some good and some bad. These chemicals often need companion chemistry to work right, subtracting one chemical means the whole food may not be processed correctly. We evolve with our food, evolution of food chemistry should not be pushed too fast. All this so an apple does not look bad when cut. Looks are deceiving.

Remember, GMO labeling is only required when splicing between the groups such as veggy/fruit to microbe or animal to microbe or veggi. Any plant can have gene splicing to other plants and this can be protected by patent protection so nobody knows what they did. These are legally just apples and no labeling is needed.
edit on 16-2-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: yorkshirelad

That is a good solution and I have seen this tactic already used by some products in my local grocery store. I know that I will pay more for organic, non-GMO products.

"Good solution"?

Don't believe what you read on the package.

We've been hearing about so-called "organic" products containing GMO ingredients.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join