It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christmas Ghostly Figure on the USS Midway

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I dont normally read or comment in ghost threads because I fund the topic kind of uninteresting, but after showing my friends a ghostly photo I have taken, I decided that you guys might be interested in seeing it as well.
Back Story:
I went on a university exchange to the states in the fall semester of 2012. On my way home, I did a two week trip around California, and stopped in San Diego for a few days just before Christmas. While I was there I wanted to check out the USS Midway, as I had never ever seen an aircraft carrier and have always thought they were cool. I was there an hour early, because I had aimed to be there at opening but it opened an hour later than what I had thought (must have opened at 10am or something) so I went and got some takeaway for breakfast and returned. When I returned to the line, there were only another 4 or 5 people in front of me in the line (I think it was a monday).
When we went inside, I decided to make my way into the guts of the ship so that I could take some photos without having to wait for people to move out of my way when taking photos (Americans seem to take for ever to take their photos and this had annoyed me previously). Being an engineering student, I wanted to first go down to see the engines, etc. On my way down to the engines, I noticed a hallway that was decorated with tinsel and lights to keep with the christmas theme. I thought this was pretty cool so I took a photo. I didn't notice anything strange about the hallway, except for the decorations of course.

I have attached this picture. If you zoom in on the red lined door at the centre of the picture, a human figure carrying a bag or sack can be clearly seen.

It is important to remember that I was the first tourist to get this far down into the ship. As far as I can tell, the USS midway is staffed by volunteers, and there didn't appear to be many staff around. The area I was in was down a fair few flights of narrow stairs, so it wouldn't make much sense as a staff storage area. Importantly, I only took the photo because I had a clear shot down the hallway. If somebody was there, I wouldn't have taken the picture i.e. the dark figure wasn't there when I took the picture and only showed up on the digital photo.

I always found it funny that I had taken a photo of a ghostly apparition on a touristy museum carrying a sack in the lead up to christmas- Vietnam war era ghost Santa anyone? On a serious note though, in a different part of the ship they had a laundry room where there was a mannequin of a navy servicemen carrying a laundry bag which was eerily similar to the bag carried by the dark spectre.

I hope you guys like this photo, as I have said, even though I don't follow ghost stories, I always thought this one was cool given the war connections and the fact that it was taken in a museum near christmas. The backstory I have given is 100% true, and although I don't fully believe in ghosts, I have no idea what else it could be. Thought much appreciated, Thanks.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Very cool indeed!

All the more so because it's coming from an on the fence believer

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Nice photo. Devil's advocate, couldn't somebody have walked past just as you were taking it? Maybe if they went by fast enough, you wouldn't have noticed? Either way, pretty awesome shot. I'm a believer.
edit on 14-2-2015 by jtrenthacker because: words is hard

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Cool photo,wish my fiber optic was installed I'd love to play with some enhancement software with this pic.

Great catch by the way even if it's just someone walking past.. Neat photo.

edit on 14-2-2015 by Irishhaf because: Fricking auto correct

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
yeah honestly thats probably what it is, but you have to admit its a bit weird that the person would be carrying a giant bag. I mean what would a staff member be doing with such a big load? In a civilian environment in the modern era, people don't generally transport stuff around like that right?

a reply to: jtrenthacker

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: s4196606

If I was on the ship while it was underway, I would say that the figure is a seaman carrying a bag of laundry to the ship's laundry.
It is too big for a seabag. It is the right size for a laundry bag.
Whatever it is, it seems to cast a shadow.
edit on bu282015-02-14T17:07:16-06:0005America/ChicagoSat, 14 Feb 2015 17:07:16 -06005u15 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: s4196606
yeah honestly thats probably what it is, but you have to admit its a bit weird that the person would be carrying a giant bag. I mean what would a staff member be doing with such a big load? In a civilian environment in the modern era, people don't generally transport stuff around like that right?

a reply to: jtrenthacker

I agree, though it is a large ship. They could be doing all sorts of things.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Good spot, I never noticed the shadow before. I am mostly naive to the topic, do people often report shadows being cast from ethereal type beings? Because if not that probably indicates that its not ghostly in nature.
As mentioned before, I'm not really a believer just open minded... the only thing that really made me even post this picture (besides the fact that I was certain the hallway was empty when I took the photo) was the bag. As someone else on the comments pointed out, to me it does look exactly like a seaman with a laundry bag. However, do you think that you would really cary a laundry bag in front of you like that? If it was me, I would put it over my shoulder, As I imagine a bag that big full of clothes would be very heavy

I have just zoomed up on the picture and am looking at it again. Does anyone else think that the head seems very small compared to the body? To me it looks like the figure is wearing a very bulky jacket and pants, and has an extremely skinny neck and ankles. The figure is also potentially wearing a hat.
For context, it was December in California, and although it was cool,I was wearing only a t shirt and shorts (I am australian, and the comparably warm weather was a welcome change from the bitter wind of NYC where I had just come from). The staff from memory were wearing mostly jeans and USS Midway polo shirts. I think some of the staff were also wearing Midway caps. The jackets and pants worn by the figure seem to be too bulky for the weather.
Again, not coming to any conclusions, just speculating and trying to give as much info as possible.

a reply to: butcherguy

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
this was a warship still so im sure many people lost their lives here (R.I.P) so this could still very well be a spirit cause it doesnt seem too dark in that hallway yet the figure is still black and if it is just a person than the shadow would extend further down the corridor

did you hear anybody down there with you before or after you took the photo ?

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: s4196606
As someone else on the comments pointed out, to me it does look exactly like a seaman with a laundry bag. However, do you think that you would really cary a laundry bag in front of you like that? If it was me, I would put it over my shoulder, As I imagine a bag that big full of clothes would be very heavy

I have just zoomed up on the picture and am looking at it again. Does anyone else think that the head seems very small compared to the body? To me it looks like the figure is wearing a very bulky jacket and pants, and has an extremely skinny neck and ankles.

First point, why are you assuming it's a laundry bag weighted with clothes? It could contain Christmas decorations, which is not that unlikely given the context. It doesn't take much tinsel to bulk out a sack.

Second point, although the image of the figure is slightly blurred it certainly doesn't appear to have a military haircut. I see no hat, but I do I see quite a bushy head of hair. Also, aside from the boots, the clothes don't look military or Naval in style or colour.

My guess is you caught a human member of staff going about their everyday business on the boat. It would have taken them a split-second to walk past that doorway, which you could easily have missed.

edit on 15-2-2015 by Motorhead because: (no reason given)

top topics

join