It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Railfans - Where are the best railroad attractions - US coast to coast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
As I cannot fly, I am forced (HOORAY) to drive or take trains for long distance travel. This spring, I will be crossing the country from Oregon to the Mid-Atlantic and South, and returning.

East bound will be by car, returning will be by rail.

What railroad attractions (excursions, museums, special points of interest, great railfan spots, etc.) can anyone suggest for me to try and include? Information from all lower 48's is appreciated. This year, we have been given the gift of some unstructured time, so things happening only on certain days are welcome - if it's good enough, we might stick around a day or two for it. Thanking everyone in advance...all aboard!

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: cronemel

The best train museum is the California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento, California, USA, (www.csrmf.org...). This is a first class operation and one of the best museums in the USA. Both indoor and outdoor, stationary and rolling equipment. The indoor includes a "roundhouse'

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Strasburg Railroad and museum. You can even stay the night in a caboose. It's near Lancaster, PA. Cass Scenic Railroad (Cass, WV) is an old logging railroad, and is also close on the Cheat Mountain Salimander , Durbin Rocket , and Tygart Valley Flyer. Sorry, I don't know how to link from my phone.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: chuckk

Thank you. That museum has actually been on the radar for a while...Amtrak managed to kill my best shot at it last summer when my 7 hour layover in SAC became 2 hours = and not 2 hours when things like museums are open.
A great suggestion.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Yahm16

Seriously? Strausburg is still open? That's fantastic! I rode the Strasburg, EBT, etc. yonks ago, and have sadly learned that the East Broad Top is no longer running. But the addition of Cass Scenic and the others in WV look very enticing! No worries about links - even old ladies grok googling it. Thanks!

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Ever look into something like this?

www.aaprco.com...

Chartering is available and would make for a very special group event.

Private collectors have some historic, iconic or just plain luxurious private railcars.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I am a member of a local club that owns the largest private O gauge layout in the country.

Check out our webpage; NJ HiRailers.

Plus we are only 15 minutes from NYC so you can always check out Grand Central Terminal.

Steamtown in Scranton, PA is also very good. It is the site of the former DL&W yards and still has several operational steam locomotives and a roundhouse/turntable.

edit on 16-2-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Psynic

Thank you! I have looked at that - and the costs - and sighed. We do have extra time this year - but a trip like that becomes its own goal, not a destination. At least to me. My granddaughter is almost 4. I figure that chartering some private varnish for her wedding party MIGHT be possible, if I start feeding that piggy bank now. Thanks again!

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Nice club pages! Thanks for the work with the Shriner's group and Chase. (My dad, granddad, etc. were all Shriners, so it's a cause dear to my heart.) We will be in that area for a while, although, I must confess, North Jersey befuddles me. (When you live off Exit 3, anything north of Trenton is no-mans-land

And Steamtown. Yes. Oh, my yes. Thank you.
edit on 20-2-2015 by cronemel because: bloody typos

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: cronemel

Thank you! I have looked at that - and the costs - and sighed. We do have extra time this year - but a trip like that becomes its own goal, not a destination. At least to me. My granddaughter is almost 4. I figure that chartering some private varnish for her wedding party MIGHT be possible, if I start feeding that piggy bank now. Thanks again!

I was only a year or two older than your granddaughter when my folks took me on a rail journey from Toronto to L.A. and back aboard the Sante Fe line.

I'll never forget the views of cities and towns, farmland and forests, rivers and lakes, deserts and mountains as seen from the glass domed deck of an observation car.

Having done the same trip by road, one notices the 'backyard' perspective from a train is largely free of the billboards and advertising aimed at the passing motorist.

It's sad to think future generations won't have a chance for such an experience.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 12:34 AM
link   

I was lucky enough to grow up in a PRR family, and like you, started staring at the world through a train window very young. Having done one cross country run last summer - a trip I have not done by auto yet- I am looking forward to comparing the two modes over the same basic territory. And I will be taking grandkids on train rides as soon as that is possible. Some of the younger generation will have the thrill of horns in the night, the rock and sway, and of course, miles and miles of real, incredible beauty. Thanks again for commenting!

top topics

join