It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Search of Homemade Bread Recipes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Alrighty my ATS Family, I need a bread recipe. Preferably a tried and true recipe that will go good with chicken soup. However, I love to bake fresh bread, so I would love to see any recipes you have!

I have been volunteered to bake the bread for a family get-together tomorrow evening. The main course is homemade chicken soup. I want something a little different than the normal recipe I have been using because I am getting bored with it....

Show me what you have, and I'll share my Italian herbs and cheese recipe in a bit.

And for starters

I use a mini food chopper to blend all of the above. Then you scoop out a tablespoon full, put into a separate bowl, add about 1/2 cup olive oil, and voila, Italian bread dipping "sauce". Mmm, yummy!
edit on 14-2-2015 by Doodle19815 because: Adding pic

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Doodle19815

I have a REALLY good Dinner Roll recipe?

Maybe-the-Best Yeast Rolls

2 (1/4 oz) packets Active dry yeast
1/2 cup Lukewarm water; (110 to 115 degrees F)
1/2 cup Butter or oleo; softened
1/3 cup Sugar; divided
1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
2 tablespoons Instant potato flakes
1 cup Hot water
4 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
Butter or oleo; melted (for brushing rolls)

Original recipe makes 24 Servings

In a small bowl, sprinkle yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in the 1/2 cup lukewarm water and stir to dissolove. Let stand until foamy, about 5 to 10 minutes. In a large bowl, mix butter, remaining sugar, salt, potato flakes, and hot water together until combined. Let cool to lukewarm. Add yeast mixture and 1 cup of flour to the potato mixture. Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Scrape bowl occasionally. Gradually add the rest of the flour, one cup at a time, beating to make a soft dough. Place dough in a large greased bowl -- turn to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a draft-free warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.

Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead 6 or 8 turns to remove air. Let rise about 10 minutes. Lightly grease or line a large baking pan (or 2 smaller pans) with parchment paper. Divide dough into 24 equal pieces. Cup your hand over 1 piece, and using your thumb and pinkie to keep ball inside your cupped hand, push dough with heel of your hand against work surface while rolling in a circular motion to form a smooth ball. Repeat with remaining dough pieces, setting balls about 1-inch apart on prepared baking pan(s). Brush tops carefully with melted butter. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a draft-free warm place until doubled in bulk, about 45 to 60 minutes (rolls should be touching at this point).

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake rolls until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes. Watch carefully -- do not overbake. As soon as rolls come out of oven, brush tops again with melted butter.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Potato flakes?! Wow, gonna give this one a try soon for sure. Thank you for sharing!

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
The Bread I swear by, because I'm lazy, is the New York Times no knead bread recipe. You can watch a YouTube video that explains the method, or you can read the original recipe via the Times website. I also looooove this oh so bad for you cheese biscuit recipe:
www.theslowroasteditalian.com...

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Here is a recipe I posted a few years ago; it's delicious!!!

Shiner Bock Black Lager Garlic Cheese Bread Recipe

3 cups all-purpose flour
4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 12oz bottle of Shiner Bock Black Lager (or your favorite dark, stout beer)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 heaping cup of shredded cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon Italian herbs
15 cloves of garlic, diced
garlic butter - 1/4 cup butter melted with 4 cloves of garlic

1.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
2.) In a large mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt and brown sugar. Pour in beer; stir until a stiff batter is formed. Add cheese, olive oil, herbs, and diced garlic. Scrape dough into buttered and floured loaf pan.
3.) Pour garlic butter on top of unbaked dough
4.) Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Here's a place to start with many members chipping in:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

A wealth of info at your fingertips!

Happy Baking.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Doodle19815

I use the recipe from my bread maker for pizza dough to make garlic rolls.

this makes 1 pound of dough

2/3 cup water
1/2 tsp honey
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 3/4 cup bread flour
6 tbsp whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp yeast

After the dough is done mixing and is risen I grab small bit of dough and roll it with my hands into a string roughly 6 inches long and as thick as my thumb.
then i tie it to make a roll.
I put the rolls on a greased tray and bake till they are golden brown.

I then take spray on butter or melted butter and brush the rolls till moist.
After I sprinkle some garlic powder onto the rolls.

They are so good it's not funny.

if you don't tie them and just leave them long they come out like the olive garden bread.

delish.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Yay! Thank you everyone! Getting my shopping list together and my bread stone warming.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: LeatherNLace
I decided to use your recipe today since I really wanted the herbs and cheese with the soup, (which was rather bland). I am so glad I did because it turned out beautifully!

Hubby was giving me weird looks for cracking open a beer at 9:30am...

I slowly (because it is bubbly), poured it into the dry mixture while the blade was on the low setting.

Mixed it all together, while scraping the bowl, to form this magnificent dough.

After I added the herbs and garlic

Tossed in the cheese, yep I used a little parmesan as well because, why not, and mixed a bit longer.

Poured (or rather scraped) it all into my well oiled cast iron loaf pan.

Drizzled with the garlic butter.

I always rotate my loaves halfway through so I grabbed a quick pic to.

And the finished product!

I would have grabbed a pic of the inside texture, but it was all gone way too fast! What a hit! Crusty on the outside and tender on the inside. It made a wonderful soup bread. Thank you LandL!

I will certainly be trying out the other listed recipes soon. Thanks again to everyone who shared. Jude, it may take me awhile to work my way through your awesome thread!

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I make these 30 minute dinner rolls all the time... they come out perfect every time - great recipe and quick to make even though its a yeast dough.

30-Minute Dinner Rolls

Ingredients

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water
⅓ cup oil
2 tablespoons active dry yeast
¼ cup sugar
½ teaspoon salt (I personally use 1 teaspoon salt, didn't think 1/2 t. tasted like enough)
1 egg
3½ cups flour (either bread flour or all-purpose I use the all purpose)

Instructions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a mixing bowl add sugar and warm water… mix together and then sprinkle yeast over the top. Let set 5 minutes.
Whisk the egg. Then add the oil,salt, egg and one cup flour… Mix together. Now using dough hook, add the remaining flour and mix together. Dough should be pulling away from the edges… But still pretty sticky. Scrape it out onto a floured surface and kneed together for a minute. Let rest for 5 minutes. Tear off pieces and roll into balls placing them onto a greased baking pan as you go. Cover let rest for another 5 minutes. Bake 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown on top. Brush with butter straight out of the oven.

I got the recipe from "Scratch this with Sandy" and make these often ever since. These are quick and come out perfect every time - the only thing I "fixed" was because I didn't think she added enough salt so I double the salt from her recipe but you can try it like she has it as well if you prefer.

posted on Jul, 13 2019 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I often cook bread myself.
This recipe is very tasty.

Easy Keto Zucchini Bread
And most importantly, you will not spend a lot of energy, because it is very easy.

Ingredients
50 g coconut flour
1 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp granulated sweetener, of choice or more to your taste
1/2 tsp salt or to taste
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla
5 eggs - medium
130 g grated/shredded zucchini (measure after squeezing out the water)
30 g walnuts (optional)

top topics

join