It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP lawmaker calls women “a lesser cut of meat”

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: James1982

Actually, I read the story somewhere else a couple hours before Olaru posted it here on ATS and for some reason, I was thinking he was libertarian. My bad.

I guess that in this case I should have said that the neo-conservative wing of the GOP is just plain nuts.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flatfish
a reply to: olaru12

I'm beginning to understand why they believe man lived along side the dinosaurs, it's because we're still living with them today.

The libertarian wing of the GOP is just plain nuts!

Err...what...I don't think you know what libertarianism means...and you saw the word libertarian in the quote as the source and falsely concluded that libertarians supported, even though it was the (supposedly) libertarian site that was criticizing the person who said this. So, false conclusion drawn, and a demonstration of an obvious lack of understanding as to the meaning of libertarianism.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 12:44 AM
link   

I guess that in this case I should have said that the neo-conservative wing of the GOP is just plain nuts.

Sure, libertarian, neo-conservative...it's all inter-changeable...lol...

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 03:10 AM
link   
As a republican I hate women and the gays. It's tradition.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheJourney

For the record, in my book there isn't much difference between the two. Both, Neo-conservative republicans and libertarians are nutty loons.

Which is precisely why you never see libertarians joining up with the democrats.

Birds of a feather flock together.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I would not call his mother, but wonder what his wife would say, or thinks of his remarks. Along with all of the women in his district and their friends and family. I wonder if the next time he is up for re-election, that they do not use that against him and ultimately see him booted out of public office for the rest of his life and ultimately where he has a hard time finding a job. If I was hiring people, and he came to my office, I would make sure that his immediate supervisor, and those above that person were all women who knew about his remarks, and see how many remarks like that he would end up making in the process, before being terminated for sexual harassment.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Let's look at his actual quote (not that this is going to make anyone feel better):

“Well, you know God created man first,” a smirking Corbin replied. “Then he took the rib out of man to make woman. And you know, a rib is a lesser cut of meat.”

Looking at it in that context, he's only making a "biblical joke." Ha. Ha.

Here's the bit from the article that really bothers me ...

“He makes comments like that all the time to everybody – including Senator Shealy,” said one legislative aide who spoke to FITS.

So, this is just another in a long line of condescending, (at best) abusive (at worst) remarks this person has made to his colleague Senator Shealy in public or within the earshot of other Senators.

Another bit may actually make my comment earlier seem a bit more telling:

Apparently, at private Senate workshop back in 2013, Mr. Corbin choose to relate the seemingly outlandish story that a teacher in his hometown had told a classroom of kids about certain practices of a certain tribe in "Africa" (actually, Papua, New Guinea) that enforced certain sexual acts onto male kids by their male elders (link to article.)

There's never been any substantiation of a teacher in Corbin's district making such comments to any classroom of kids.

Did Senator Corbin realize there were probably less risque comments that would have gotten his point across better?

HOWEVER, open and pointless misogyny of the degree that Senator Corbin displays could seriously point to some sort of repression. I'm not going to "armchair psychoanalyze" anyone but ...

Homophobes might be Hidden Homosexuals - Scientific American (2012)

Furthermore:

Nothing inspires murderous mayhem in human beings more reliably than sexual repression. Denied food, water, or freedom of movement, people will get desperate and some may lash out at what they perceive as the source of their problems, albeit in a weakened state. But if expression of sexuality is thwarted, the human psyche tends to grow twisted into grotesque, enraged perversions of desire.

Psychology Today - "Sexual Repression: the Malady that Considers Itself the Remedy"

So, it's not actually Senator Corbin's comments that bother me so much, as there may be an understandable (NOTE THAT DOES NOT SAY EXCUSABLE) underpinning for his overt sexism.

But the other 43 male Senators, unknown numbers of staffers, etc. Why aren't they speaking up???

They aren't all latent homosexuals ...
edit on 8Sun, 15 Feb 2015 08:40:43 -060015p082015266 by Gryphon66 because: Formatting

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
This guy. Lindsey Grahman. SC seems to be pretty backwater.

And I bet people still vote for this man and his beliefs.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheJourney

For the record, in my book there isn't much difference between the two.

Well, it seems pretty clear that you don't really know what libertarianism is, so...

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Actually, I read the story somewhere else a couple hours before Olaru posted it here on ATS and for some reason, I was thinking he was libertarian. My bad.

Or perhaps you just are sterotyping a whole group based on the actions of a few while further fueling the division?

I don't want to be blaming you so much for that action though. The thread was likely designed to garner such stereotypical responses.
edit on 15-2-2015 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Just an observation. So a "GOP lawmaker..."so on and so on. Great title and I just love how "GOP" is the first, and therefore the most important word of the title! So...If he were black would your titled have read "Black lawmaker...", or if he were Jewish read "Jew lawmaker..."? How about disabled vet? "Lunatic Vet lawmaker...". "Gay", "Retarded", "Muslim"? How about just "A-hole lawmaker..."? At least that would have applied to the story. Or...did you just choose GOP as your CHOICE of which label to use today? Or just the one you wanted to attack today.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE
Just an observation. So a "GOP lawmaker..."so on and so on. Great title and I just love how "GOP" is the first, and therefore the most important word of the title! So...If he were black would your titled have read "Black lawmaker...", or if he were Jewish read "Jew lawmaker..."? How about disabled vet? "Lunatic Vet lawmaker...". "Gay", "Retarded", "Muslim"? How about just "A-hole lawmaker..."? At least that would have applied to the story. Or...did you just choose GOP as your CHOICE of which label to use today? Or just the one you wanted to attack today.

... and what did you think about what the Senator actually said and did?

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE

... and what did you think about what the Senator actually said and did?

Like I said...a complete ass! Regardless of party, sex, race, etc.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   
There are idiots are both sides, agreed. You don't need brains or hard work to get where they are, just a wealthy donor. But, this side of the GOP is really harmful to true republicans. They have to know that they will never get the presidency for years to come. Local elections is the focus now, but soon their regressive policies will lose those voters, too. The GOP needs to do something REALLY big for the good, not just war and tax cuts. They should be the first to introduce a plan for single payer health care, for example.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join