It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian satire or Russian propaganda?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Nikola014

You spend 90% of the time talking about others members, almost never adding information to threads. If only there was an ignore button. At least some of the other pro Russian posters provide links to information along with the bias.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: BornAgainAlien
a reply to: DJW001

Cut the crap man...everyone knows about movies like The Interview, Team America, etc...

So no one with a working brain takes what you try to pull seriously.

I am trying to explore the difference between propaganda and satire. I have not seen The Interview, but Team America was clearly satirical: it mocked the United States' self appointed role as world policeman while lampooning Kim Jun Il's reputation as an archetypal super villain as portrayed in western media.

If you believe the piece on Glavnoye was legitimate satire, what do you believe its intended message was?

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: noeltrotsky
a reply to: Nikola014

You spend 90% of the time talking about others members, almost never adding information to threads. If only there was an ignore button. At least some of the other pro Russian posters provide links to information along with the bias.

And in doing so he reveals more about himself than those he rails against.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Another reason I have chosen to highlight this cartoon is because members who get their news from a variety of sources, but who do not speak Russian, are often mystified by posts coming from members who rely on news and other media prepared exclusively for Russian consumption. The Russian media is like a parallel universe, where it is assumed that the United States and/or NATO must be responsible for everything that happens in the world. After all, no citizen of any country is ever discontented to protest against their government unless they are paid to do so, right? This cartoon illustrates the relentlessness of the Russian media's multi-layered programming. It reminds Russians of their glorious military past while demeaning those countries that were able to leave Russia's sphere of influence. It is suffused with revanchism scarcely sweetened by it supposed humor. It is intended as propaganda, not satire.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: noeltrotsky

Well, look back into my initial post on this thread. I have had discussion with DJW001 and his buddies way before about the same things way way way back. I got tired of it since all they ever did was talk about complete nonsense, like this one and I just got tired of it. If you want to see my opinion about the whole west versus Russian situation, check my post's made May-August. And while you at it, check what are some other people saying too. You will find it oddly familiar with what they are saying now, after all that time.

My last post on this thread. This does not deserve the attention it is getting.
edit on 604k2015Saturdaypm014 by Nikola014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001
Another reason I have chosen to highlight this cartoon is because members who get their news from a variety of sources, but who do not speak Russian, are often mystified by posts coming from members who rely on news and other media prepared exclusively for Russian consumption. The Russian media is like a parallel universe, where it is assumed that the United States and/or NATO must be responsible for everything that happens in the world. After all, no citizen of any country is ever discontented to protest against their government unless they are paid to do so, right? This cartoon illustrates the relentlessness of the Russian media's multi-layered programming. It reminds Russians of their glorious military past while demeaning those countries that were able to leave Russia's sphere of influence. It is suffused with revanchism scarcely sweetened by it supposed humor. It is intended as propaganda, not satire.

This is true. Anyone who has spend any time in Russia understands that humor and TV there is different. Satire being more complex might be difficult for non native Russians to grasp well.

Having said that, I still believe this was more feeding Russian citizens the greatness of their country than satire.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: noeltrotsky

Having said that, I still believe this was more feeding Russian citizens the greatness of their country than satire.

I agree completely. The irony is that seventy years of controlled press under Communism has given the Russian people a keen sense of... irony. I suspect Russians of my generation (ie; over forty) would view the piece as self parody, contrasting the genuinely impressive achievements of the Red Army with the pathetic little breakaway postage stamp republics like Abkhazia and Transniestria under Putin.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Given the latest example of Russian "satire" posted on this thread; I thought people might want to review some of the points brought up in this discussion. Remember, Russian media is completely controlled by the State. It delivers the message the Kremlin wants delivered. The victims of the satire are always the enemies of the State. In modern Russia, satire is a warning directed at others.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Lol I'll give you an A for effort, still harping on a month later.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: sosobad

Man, you should have just ignored this thread. Now it's going to get unnecessary attention, again.

It's one thing to believe that Putin controls all the media and the newspapers, but to think that he's controlling all the stuff that's being put on the youtube, is just beyond ridiculous. But hey, as i have said many times before, these guys when it comes to Putin would believe in absolutely anything.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nikola014
a reply to: sosobad

Man, you should have just ignored this thread. Now it's going to get unnecessary attention, again.

It's one thing to believe that Putin controls all the media and the newspapers, but to think that he's controlling all the stuff that's being put on the youtube, is just beyond ridiculous. But hey, as i have said many times before, these guys when it comes to Putin would believe in absolutely anything.

Why are you afraid of drawing attention to this thread, given that it discusses the difference between satire and propaganda? Where's the harm in that?

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: sosobad
Lol I'll give you an A for effort, still harping on a month later.

So are you, apparently.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join