It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian satire or Russian propaganda?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: IPFreely101

Click on the link labeled "Direct Link."

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Never mind, saw the direct link.

Eta, seems like obvious sarcasm to me.

edit on 14-2-2015 by IPFreely101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

What do you mean?

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Funny... at least three people agree with sosobad that this piece meets the definition of satire, but not one of them has posted their own explanation why. Are you afraid of bumping the OP?

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I don't see the video at satire. It's clearly an effort at passing a message along to the viewers. That message being...
- We can crush the West and return to the glorious days of the Soviet Union.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: noeltrotsky
I don't see the video at satire. It's clearly an effort at passing a message along to the viewers. That message being...
- We can crush the West and return to the glorious days of the Soviet Union.

Exactly! It makes every effort to remind Russians of their great victories during and after their Great Patriotic War.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

Exactly what I said, that it seems like sarcasm to me.

You basically answered your own question in your op.

the program turns its sights on a remark by Poland's Foreign Minister Grzegorz Schetyna that European leaders should gather in Poland this May to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the end of the Second World War, saying "it's not natural that tributes marking the end of the war should be organized where the war began," alluding to Stalin's complicity with Hitler in carving Poland up. In Russia, this anniversary is Victory Day, commemorating what the Russians call "The Great Patriotic War." It is among the most sacred holidays of the former Soviet Union's state religion, and the suggestion was, perhaps rightly, interpreted as a deliberate insult to Russia.

Seems like it was a sarcastic response to that.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

So, threatening nuclear war is "just sarcasm?" Is this "satire?"

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Actually, i just think this thread nor the OP don't deserve any attention whatsoever because you guys have proven over and over again that you do not wish for any serious discussion since you cannot back it up with facts, so you are just trying to draw attention to silly threads like this one, so you can show people how bad Russians really are. I still cannot get over the fact that friends of yours here actually used Putin's speech that was made almost 20 years ago and called it relevant...Your attempts are getting more and more ridiculous to mock Rusianns...it's like you are not even trying anymore.

Come on, you can do better than this!

edit on 648k2015Saturdaypm014 by Nikola014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Please.

I get that some people don't get sarcasm, because they are dumb.

Now the sarcasm in this vid was so freaking obvious.

I know you are not dumb.

So......

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Satire is an excellent tool for propaganda. Even it´s humorously disguised it is still propaganda. Propaganda always has a goal . In this its to make russians think they are above everyone else in this planet while others are just a little fishes and have no real power against Russia and also telling how things should be and how easy it would be to make it happen.

See the concept

Last year there were a chocolate wrapping paper which had a Russian borders map for 2015, which included newly achieved areas, Ukraine and promising new areas like Scandinavia and Alaska etc
Abovetopsecret check it out..

information war is still going on, paid opinion makers even in forums..

edit on 14-2-2015 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

And this year they are having American flag on toilet paper, it must mean something, right? They are out to get you guys! Those bad evil communists!

As far as your suspicious about some posters being paid to spread propaganda, i share them as well. I find it quite interesting that it's always the same five-six people saying the same old stuff, making silly threads like this one, trying to get as much attention as possible to show us what Russians are really about. Another strange this is that they have been an active participant of anti-Russian propaganda, since the beginning of the conflict in Ukraine...what a strange coincidence
I thought i was the only one thinking that.
edit on 612k2015Saturdaypm014 by Nikola014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Nikola014

American flag as a toilet paper is an old joke which was started by americans, i believe that it has been a hit product for decades so people can somehow show their opinion on "current goverment" that is not propaganda, so where does the american flag toilet paper come from ? is it american or is it russian ?
About paid opinion makers, you see them only in one side of conversation? Are you saying only one side has them? LOL

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

I would say that an american flag on toilet paper in Russia is being made to make fun of America. You know, fun=satire? Nothing serious? Good that we cleared that out.
It's funny how you guys always choose to ignore some such obvious things.

Are you serious? Those 5-6 people have been present in the whole west vs Russia discussion since the beginning. Always the loudest. Always trying hard to spread the propaganda.
While on the other side, the only one entering discussion with them was me. And I do not think i was or still being paid by Putin.
And i gave up on it after a month since it was pointless, and that was back in August. And look at what month it is now. February. And those people are still the loudest with a one or two new members joined their club. Funny how i always joked with them how i believe that it is their job to always be online 24/7, because they are always the first one to respond. Which i found extremely odd.

edit on 640k2015Saturdaypm014 by Nikola014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
The topic of this thread is whether the sequence aired on Russian TV was intended as satire or propaganda, and what the intended "message" is, not what your opinion of me is. Rather than try to deflect, why don't you offer an opinion about the actual TV program? Do you think it's funny that Russian media chooses to joke about countries it invaded while it was still the Soviet Union? How is this program different from John McCain singing "Bomb Iran?" How would you react if a serious American news program like "Frontline" concluded a program about Iran with a cartoon montage of US troops invading Iraq and Afghanistan? Would that be satire... or a threat?
edit on 14-2-2015 by DJW001 because: Edit to correct autocorrect.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I predict you will get 5 - 6 stars for that post.
Please try to stay on topic from now on. a reply to: Nikola014

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

As a goverment employee ( i just checked you out.. curiosity hit bad ) you must know more about paid opinion makers than you are telling here. I am curious as those do exist and information war has sky rocketed in a year. Last month there were a hearing in Committee on Foreign Affairs in Finland about information strikes that "putinist" had done recently in Finland, it included trolling in the internet forums, trolling the congressmen and threathening journalists.
Link
Its in finnish but you can translate it with google if you are intrested what is going on.
So how is things in Serbia ?

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Cut the crap man...everyone knows about movies like The Interview, Team America, etc...

So no one with a working brain takes what you try to pull seriously.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Well, I would like to tell you my own opinion about it, but that would be way off-topic. If you are interested, I could send you a private message.

And as for DJW001, I have said everything that I had about this thread. Sometimes, a bird is just a bird. A satire program is just a satire program. There's no hidden agenda behind it. But, when the only thing you are focused on is to find these different things that might possible fit into your belief system, you find them everywhere. In this case, you are convinced that Russia is planning to conquer the world, which is just ridiculous.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

A satire program is just a satire program. There's no hidden agenda behind it.

First of all, the program the sequence aired on was not a satire program, it was a news digest. Secondly, satire always has an agenda or it would not be satire, it would be comedy. In the OP I indicated how each image was chosen to reflect Russian/Soviet imperialism in the past century, suggesting it is possible it can return. Do you dispute that?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join