It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex-CIA chief admits to UFO disinformation

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: PlanetXisHERE

originally posted by: 3danimator2014
a reply to: PlanetXisHERE

No I didn't miss it. But it's quite funny how you guys never, ever, EVER trust a word any government official has to say about anything. Except when they confirms your beliefs. In which case every single word they say is gospel. So funny.

Those are good points, and I addressed them earlier and will do so again for your benefit.

First of all, he was ex-government when he made the remarks.

So we have two choices in respect to his remarks:

1. Hillenkoeter was part of the UFO coverup for years when he was Director of the CIA, when he gets older he has a change of heart and decides that mankind deserves to know the truth.

2. Hillenkoeter, as Director of the CIA, knows there is nothing to UFO's, but later, when he is retired, he decides to lie about the whole thing? I can't see any motivation here, where in number one the motivation is more obvious, number one makes more sense.

You have no way of knowing though. Just because YOU think there is no motivation to lie about it now he's retired doesn't mean the guy isn't. Maybe he has a book coming up. Maybe he's lost his mind a bit. Maybe he wants some attention.

The point is there are COUNTLESS examples of people coming out to the press with bullsh*t stories.

So, for me, I have no reason at all to take this guys incredible story as fact when he has no evidence.

Why he would make it up is irrelevant.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
People like the Director of the CIA DOES NOT have a change of heart! He has a motive for his actions whether political, financial or whatever.

Case in point, John Corso who had a change of heart enough to write a book or two about his CIA experience in reverse engineering of alien technology in his retirement. Stanton Freedman has made a cottage industry of UFO book writing and lectures. How many people have jumped on this gravy train? All they need to do is to change or vary the core premise and write a book.

Now, one of the Podesta brothers makes a comment about the release of UFO information from the CIA as did Bill Clinton in the 1990 presidential elections. Clinton was elected but no disclosure! Another Clinton is running for President in 2016 with the Podestas still on her staff making UFO disclosure noises again. Garnering a voting block?

Hillenkoeter has a change in heart. What is his reasons for doing so? People is the black world don't have a 180 degree change in heart or they wouldn't be in their positions. They take secrecy very seriously. If he is about to disclose very classified information he would be stopped one way or another.

How about "John Q. Public" who describes every small single engine airplane as a Piper Cub? There 30+ different types of single engine flying in the sky but it's a Piper Cub. If they can't identify an airplane then how could they say they know a UFO from a landing light? BTW, a real Piper Cub is rare and is a true phenomenon.
edit on 21-2-2015 by buddah6 because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-2-2015 by buddah6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Flesh699

We are the proof?

No one is debating as to whether or not alien life exists. Most, if not all scientists would deduce that there is indeed other life within the cosmos.

The UFO debate is an another animal altogether. To exist is one thing; to fly or warp to Earth and interact with Humans is another. That is what we debate. Visitation.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: DelMarvel

1. Hillenkoeter was part of the UFO coverup for years when he was Director of the CIA, when he gets older he has a change of heart and decides that mankind deserves to know the truth.

2. Hillenkoeter, as Director of the CIA, knows there is nothing to UFO's, but later, when he is retired, he decides to lie about the whole thing? I can't see any motivation here, where in number one the motivation is more obvious, number one makes more sense.

Or a variant of number 1: He was at the CIA when they were concerned about the phenomenon and conducting investigations which never found anything conclusive and he continued to be concerned when he retired while having no smoking gun evidence to share with the public because none was ever found.

The CIA was very interested in UFO reports because they knew that many of them were their own operations (U-2 and Corona in the early days). They were also deeply interested in Soviet UFO reports when they were openly published in random Soviet newspapers. It turned out that they were quite informative about secret missile and aircraft tests in an otherwise completely closed country. The Soviet citizenry were at least as baffled as average Americans and made completely wrong attributions but informed interpreters could figure out what was really going on when correlated with other information.

Keeping people believing that either there were ET's flying around, or that reports should be ridiculed or dismissed served national interests. Because otherwise KGB intelligence people would themselves collect the data which was disseminated and taken seriously as they did.
edit on 22-2-2015 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Also, my friend, the Cold War has been over for 25 years

Are you, in some way, living under a rock? It's been on, and I don't even see the end of it all. Also, I don't think the CIA or FBI know that much more than you do, really.

The Air Force ain't exactly the culprit with all the hidden knowledge, too.

All upper mentioned parties do have some info but even if you got your hands on it, you would most probably close the browser tab quite quickly thinking that's a bunch of jibberish. But have you ever thought they don't have an explanation for the general UFO phenomenon at all?

Mind you, UFO stands for Unidentified Flying Object. UFO =/= Aliens =/= Technological craft.

If a person stands in a field without any high vegetation, however, near a forest, and I am standing inside the forest, I might throw, say a computer monitor, high in the air and depending on the person that's in the field - even that might appear as a UFO, which would result in an ATS thread, Mufon report, and so on and so on, if you get where I'm going with this.

Now, the NAVY, they got their hands on the real stuff. To what extent? Not quite sure, but I doubt there is a possible way to explain the whole UFO phenomenon at all (especially, for cases where said "vehicles" have shown both out-there characteristics and/or intelligent control). It's not one UFO sighting that has ever occurred, we're talking about large numbers here. Each of these sightings could well be a number of reasonable explanations, usually the mundane turns out to be the right one, but there are these several % which are hard to explain away. But even when talking about this small %, we're going for large numbers, and not knowing everything about the Universe (quite a little actually) means obviously that there are possibilities out of our reach still, and with this factor into account - the number of possible explanations for the harder cases would literally be unlimited.

And yet... there's this group of small minded individuals that bark "alien" at every light in the sky, beating their chest because of their open-mindedness, when it's quite the opposite. Oh, what a counter-productive group that has been for UFOlogy. I only ask... when?
edit on 22-2-2015 by ch1n1t0 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-2-2015 by ch1n1t0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 02:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: mbkennel

Or a variant of number 1: He was at the CIA when they were concerned about the phenomenon and conducting investigations which never found anything conclusive and he continued to be concerned when he retired while having no smoking gun evidence to share with the public because none was ever found.

The CIA was very interested in UFO reports because they knew that many of them were their own operations (U-2 and Corona in the early days). They were also deeply interested in Soviet UFO reports when they were openly published in random Soviet newspapers. It turned out that they were quite informative about secret missile and aircraft tests in an otherwise completely closed country. The Soviet citizenry were at least as baffled as average Americans and made completely wrong attributions but informed interpreters could figure out what was really going on when correlated with other information.

Keeping people believing that either there were ET's flying around, or that reports should be ridiculed or dismissed served national interests. Because otherwise KGB intelligence people would themselves collect the data which was disseminated and taken seriously as they did.

So, would your take on it be that Hillenkoeter was continuing with CIA disinformation even after retiring and working with NICAP?

edit on 22-2-2015 by DelMarvel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Please show me where anyone from the government has officially said that.

Rather than acknowledgeing the existence of the top-secret flights or saying nothing about them publicly, the Air Force decided to put out false cover stories, the C.I.A. study says. For instance, unusual observations that were actually spy flights were attributed to atmospheric phenomena like ice crystals and temperature inversions.

''Over half of all U.F.O. reports from the late 1950's through the 1960's were accounted for by manned reconnaissance flights'' over the United States, the C.I.A. study says. ''This led the Air Force to make misleading and deceptive statements to the public in order to allay public fears and to protect an extraordinarily sensitive national security project.'' The study, ''C.I.A.'s Role in the Study of U.F.O.'s. 1947-90,'' was written by Gerald K. Haines and appears in Studies of Intelligence, a secret Central Intelligence Agency journal.

C.I.A. Admits Government Lied About U.F.O. Sightings.

That doesn't answer my question.

My question was in response to a poster that said the government would like us to believe that non-humans were piloting and/or responsible for some UFO's, and I asked where had the government intimated that?

No one doubts intelligence agencies used some UFO reports for Cold War disinfo. However, the UFO phenomenon has been with us long before the Cold War and after the Cold War, so this article is virtually meaningless.

But c'mon, this is an important piece of information here. Maybe not exactly what you asked for, but think of what this means in the larger scale. May be off topic to mention this, but that piece could be talking about other things too; like... chemtrails.

How oft does our gov't admit to lying to the citizens--never.
Why would they admit to lying-even just a branch of gov't.?
That's important I think.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   
The UFO situation is a mixture of all things, including disinformation, misinformation, inaccurate information, false information, and people frankly lying and others telling the truth. Is there something to this, of course, is there information still being withheld of course. The governments and intelligence services will try to batter down the UFO subject to prevent hype and over reaction, since within this phenomena are things they do not want you to know. Some of it is of their doing such as Special Access Programs involving advanced classifiable technology, and the disinformation comes into play to protect these SAPs. Other events are just plan media hype which twists an original event out of all context; there are people lying or stretching the truth as to make them well known or making a few bucks out of it. Then there are the genuine observers and incidents involving the UFO, some are observed on radar systems designed for defense, others are sighted by air force pilots and others are intercepted just as an example. If there was nothing to this subject it would of died out a long time ago, but it has been battered and abused by the public, the media, the military and the intelligence agencies for their own ends.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

So someone can be a CIA Director and an Admiral, and have huge amounts of credibility, and the moment they mention UFO's they lose all credibility? Funny how that works.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

So someone can be a CIA Director and an Admiral, and have huge amounts of credibility, and the moment they mention UFO's they lose all credibility? Funny how that works.

Nope. That's not what I said.

In my opinion if someone, anyone, is going to say that ufos and aliens are around they better have some sort of proof. He never lost credibility because he never had it (with regards to aliens and ufos ). His job or standing is, again, irrelevant.

I don't know the man and neither do you . There could be countless reasons for him to make up this story.

I desperately want aliens to be true and visiting us and for first contact to happen. But I'm not ready to take anyone's stories without any proof.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   

So, would your take on it be that Hillenkoeter was continuing with CIA disinformation even after retiring and working with NICAP?

Yes, possibly, he was still subject to national security agreements. But there are other explanations possible too. Also in 1960 (note the date) the USSR was ahead in space (which means missile) race. He could have disagreed with the official dismissals, or disagreed with the CIA & Air Force policy (which may have changed since his time), because he thought that they could represent a serious Soviet threat which should be publicized. It's understandable there would be difficulty politically with the Air Force, because it implies they are failing at their job.

Alternatively he was unaware of new developments in CIA technology (CORONA & U-2) and their relation to UFO reports. Most of the Air Force would also be kept away from learning about these as well, so AF could legitimately have observed UFO's which were activities by US (or USSR) branches of government or contractors and didn't know about them, and so be "soberly concerned". Read his words, and don't interpose your own assumptions over them.

Existence of the document was revealed by the National Investigations Committee on Aerial Phenomena.
The privately financed committee accused the Air Force of deception in publicly describing reports of unidentified flying objects as delusions and hoaxes while sending the private admonition to its commands.
Vice Admiral R. H. Hillenkoetter (Ret.), a committee board member and former director of the Central Intelligence Agency, said in a statement that a copy of the inspector general's warning had been sent to the Senate Science and Astronautics Committee.
"It is time for the truth to be brought out in open Congressional hearings,

Actually if they were U-2 and CORONA activities or other A-12 developments or other things, then no it was not time for the truth to be brought out in Congressional hearings. Maybe he was not read into those programs? He was in CIA from 47-50. Things changed after that. He could still have contacts in the military who said that they saw and tracked things which weren't theirs who were honestly concerned, and that prompted him to talk as he did.

There could be many things involving politics & secrecy under the surface of all of these. What could he say to promote his position without violating the letter of his oaths? Something like what he said. A person all alone saying stuff would just get ridicule, prison and poverty, but with political cover and allies, things would be very different.

Even more conspiratorially, maybe it was early tests of some really exotic propulsion & science kept secret to almost all of the world, including the government? (what some say here).

edit on 22-2-2015 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Read his words, and don't interpose your own assumptions over them.

Thanks for the post! Just to clarify, I wasn't being confrontational in my last question to you. I was really interested in what you thought.

I guess the main assumption that I have trouble setting aside in this is my skepticism about a cover-up of conclusive evidence of ETs involving Hillenkoeter or anyone else in the government.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:24 AM
link   

In my opinion if someone, anyone, is going to say that ufos and aliens are around they better have some sort of proof. He never lost credibility because he never had it (with regards to aliens and ufos ). His job or standing is, again, irrelevant.

I don't know the man and neither do you . There could be countless reasons for him to make up this story.

I desperately want aliens to be true and visiting us and for first contact to happen. But I'm not ready to take anyone's stories without any proof.

He of all people was obviously in a position to know the truth, or at least much more of the facts than the average person. It's funny how skeptics will ask, "well, how come no one has ever come forward with info" and when they do it's still not enough. The bar goes higher and higher and they will believe nothing short of a UFO landing on their front lawn while for thousands of other topics that level of proof is not required.

I'm sure he had lot's of proof, though providing that may have caused him to end up in jail or dead.

Don't desperately believe, this is not a religion though it may seem like that to some. Just look at all the evidence, and either stay a "flat-earther" or come to the logical conclusion that ET's are visiting us.

edit on 23-2-2015 by PlanetXisHERE because: correction

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Obviously he was in a position to know...

Tell me, why do you think that?

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Don't desperately believe, this is not a religion though it may seem like that to some. Just look at all the evidence, and either stay a "flat-earther" or come to the logical conclusion that ET's are visiting us.

over the last few months you started to use the term social conditioning and how it happens which is very true, ATS just like any other other media source is one powerful tool to conditions peoples thinking, why do you either try to make other believe as you do or are you really that oblivious to your own conditioning even though you have said in the past you were aware that you were but have overcome it, either you are attempting to condition others thinking or are still caught up in rabbit hole you jumped into and think you have a grasp on whats real and whats not.

Not sure why you cant recognize it in yourself, unless of coarse you are in the running for Pope or maybe a Cardinal of the new ET religion that is gaining much traction on ATS.

"just look at all the evidence" you say and follow with a childish jab to make one who wont believe but wants to know through conclusive evidence if ET is visiting and speak about a logical conclusion, Nothing has changed in your thinking since you joined, you just jump to whatever boat is rocking the most at certain times.

Dont get me wrong I understand the rush one gets when they think they discover some deeper truth concerning any conspiracy or subject brought up on these boards however that rush is like any other drug, its nice for a while but take too much and your addiction gets the better of you and you loose yourself to your addiction.

Oh and please stop using the acronym UFO when you clearly are insinuating Extraterrestrial craft more often than not.

It's funny how skeptics will ask, "well, how come no one has ever come forward with info" and when they do it's still not enough. The bar goes higher and higher and they will believe nothing short of a UFO landing on their front lawn while for thousands of other topics that level of proof is not required.

No what you just posted is funny as it shows too much about your mental state, you don't look at all the evidence like you ask others too, you make conclusions of very flimsy claims you read or watch and look for evidence to back your belief like whats this thread is about even though you won't consider that the disinfo being mentioned in your links could be wanting to create a belief in ET to hide other nasty things humans do.

But that's not logical because humans are angels and only ET would do things such as abductions and experimentation on humans.

ET has been ingrained into society for as long as you and others say sightings have been increasingly reported, since WW2.

Its not logical that psychological warfare began, well, not began but became such a powerful tool around that time that more research was conducted to gain greater experience in how to use propaganda and deception to get the upper hand in what ever the goals might have been, its more logical given all the evidence you say one should look at tat its ET and they are visiting us.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   

He of all people was obviously in a position to know the truth, or at least much more of the facts than the average person. It's funny how skeptics will ask, "well, how come no one has ever come forward with info" and when they do it's still not enough. The bar goes higher and higher and they will believe nothing short of a UFO landing on their front lawn while for thousands of other topics that level of proof is not required.

I'm sure he had lot's of proof, though providing that may have caused him to end up in jail or dead.

Well done for glossing over all my points.

You are no position to call me a "flat earther" You believe every video you see and every person who comes out with any incredible story.

Sorry bub. I'm not so gullible. I need proof. I don't care WHO comes out with it, even if it's someone who used to be high up in the govt. If all they have is there word for it, then they are no better than the man on the street. Why would they be?

And yes, us debunkers still expect people coming forward to offer some sort of proof. Why would we not?

Bet you guys can't wait for tomorrow eh? There will be some more exciting videos put online of flashing, out of focus lights in the sky...or maybe another video of chinese lanterns or Venus. ...i mean alien craft.

edit on 23-2-2015 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: InhaleExhale

Wow, what a rant!

I feel very flattered that you continue to follow my threads, you obviously feel that I have something important to say.

Your post is kind of rambling, do you mind re-writing it and clarifying the main point you wanted to make? You needn't bother with the terms/phrases that are ego/emotionally engaging, as I mentioned before I do make it a practice to minimize my ego, though you did actually manage to provoke me once, I took it as a learning experience, enlightenment is a journey not a destination.

As for UFO's, I kind of think you are putting words in my mouth or projecting your own feelings, I don't think that all UFO's are of ET origin, though I think it is a strong possibility some are, hey these high ranking French guys thought the same thing! Surely high ranking military officials, scientists, and civil servants must have been thinking of ET when in the title of their report, the COMETA report, the put something along the lines that we must be prepared for defense! Or maybe they were thinking we needed defense from swamp gas and space junk?

The explosive COMETA UFO report

And I hesitate to ask this, but are you having problems with the bottle my friend? I don't think I have ever seen you so rambling and angry. Have you read any Eckhart Tolle? It can really help you raise you consciousness and escape from addictions. Just PM me if you need someone to talk to. Good luck.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Wow, what a rant!

I guess you could perceive as such.

I feel very flattered that you continue to follow my threads, you obviously feel that I have something important to say.

No,

I follow what recent and click on certain threads that might interest me.

Your perception of of what I feel is slightly off, I feel you have a great ignorance and/or delusions on what you want to spread as being real or what not and find it amusing at times and other times a concern as I cannot figure if you are what you accuse many others of being or just really bad at seeing things for what they are, I just hope you are the second part of what I suspect.

I don't think that all UFO's are of ET origin

I never said you did, I said to not use the term UFO when you re insinuating ET craft, just say ET craft when you mean it, thats all.

Surely high ranking military officials, scientists, and civil servants must have been thinking of ET when in the title of their report, the COMETA report, the put something along the lines that we must be prepared for defense! Or maybe they were thinking we needed defense from swamp gas and space junk?

'Must have been thinking'

Might have been thinking as they don't really express that they were thinking about ET.

You think they must have been thinking such, that is creating a thought based on what you speculate another is thinking about.

I have hard copies of the Cometa report so no need to keep linking it to me or bringing it up, Its interesting and a great study on unidentified things, not aliens.

Or maybe they were thinking we needed defense from swamp gas and space junk?

I wouldn't assume know what they were thinking , I could speculate like you however I keep my speculations to myself unless I feel my speculation on a certain subject need to be heard, like my so called rambling as you call it that has again made you respond, you are so simple to manipulate and I am no one with any real special abilities in manipulation or propaganda, so how easy it must be for the experts to make you and others with such gullible minds believe in what ever the flavor of the day might be.

And I hesitate to ask this, but are you having problems with the bottle my friend?

Are you asking if I have a drinking problem?

If so, I don't drink alcohol.

Have you read any Eckhart Tolle?

Yes

It can really help you raise you consciousness and escape from addictions.

Just brilliant,

Thank you for your kind and ignorant words.

I was addicted to ATS, but have cut down usage,

I was addicted to other things and stopped when I felt like stopping.

Its just the damn nicotine sticks that have a good grip on me, however if I am like others with the sames genes It comes down to choice and power of the mind not words in a book or out of someones mouth.

Just PM me if you need someone to talk to

About what?

Good luck.

Thanks, I got my lotto ticket and hope my numbers come up.

PS: glad you didn't touch on any of the psychological warfare stuff as that would have made it look like you are real truth seeker and not a conspiracy addict feeding their irrational fear and needing to spread it with other likewise people.

Not to worry there are many in your camp, its a shame people like me want stop your fun, once or if you get out of that camp and look back with a clearer vision as leaving such a camp and breaking that addiction will give you a better perception, you will see the damage it does to yourself and the other happy campers.

So good luck to you too.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   

a reply to: InhaleExhale

Wow, what a rant!

Your post is kind of rambling, do you mind re-writing it and clarifying the main point you wanted to make? You needn't bother with the terms/phrases that are ego/emotionally engaging, as I mentioned before I do make it a practice to minimize my ego, though you did actually manage to provoke me once, I took it as a learning experience, enlightenment is a journey not a destination.

As for UFO's, I kind of think you are putting words in my mouth or projecting your own feelings, I don't think that all UFO's are of ET origin, though I think it is a strong possibility some are, hey these high ranking French guys thought the same thing! Surely high ranking military officials, scientists, and civil servants must have been thinking of ET when in the title of their report, the COMETA report, the put something along the lines that we must be prepared for defense! Or maybe they were thinking we needed defense from swamp gas and space junk?

The explosive COMETA UFO report

And I hesitate to ask this, but are you having problems with the bottle my friend? I don't think I have ever seen you so rambling and angry. Have you read any Eckhart Tolle? It can really help you raise you consciousness and escape from addictions. Just PM me if you need someone to talk to. Good luck.

That cometta report is funny. First of all...most sightings are in the 50s, 60s and 70s. Even thought millions more are people are flying around in the sky these days, ufo sightings are rarer it seems (yes, i read the reports from the ground as well)....
Secondly, isn't it amazing? For the few ones the were in the 90...no photos. Another glowing planes next to a commercial jet filled with passengers for minutes! ...and no one took a picture. Not the captain, not the passengers.
Thirdly, its written like...well, like you would write it PlanetX, like a UFO enthusiast would write it. Its got exclamation marks "The object then took off at great speed!" (not the actual sentence, but im too busy to find the one i am talking about).

But its really point 2 that's important. I'm just curious as to why or how you think this is explosive? Its the same OLD, tired ufo stories we have heard a thousand times before that offer no images whatsoever of these extraordinary events supposedly witnessed by many. Can you not see that?

Boring..got anything else ?
edit on 25-2-2015 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   

The CIA was very interested in UFO reports because they knew that many of them were their own operations (U-2 and Corona in the early days).

I know you keep on posting this claim but it is very far from universally accepted - will you please address the points made in THIS post (even infamous UFO cynic Robert Schaffer calls the idea 'nonsense').

Great thread mate and I'm sure there is a lot of official secrecy and official ridicule knocking about when it comes to the UFO subject -as you know there are quite a few internal government documents from that time which show they took the UFO subject extremely seriously, this one's a good example and was sent to the Director of Central Intelligence by the Assistant Director Scientific Intelligence discussing how they're convinced there's something going on which needs immediate attention.

Other quotes:

"Maximum security exists concerning the subject of UFOs."
CIA Director, Allen Dulles, 1955.

"The Central Intelligence Agency has reviewed the current situation concerning unidentified flying objects which have created extensive speculation in the press and have been the subject of concern to Government organizations... Since 1947, approximately 2,000 official reports of sightings have been received and of these, about 20% are as yet unexplained."
"It is my view that this situation has possible implications for our national security which transcend the interests of a single service. A broader, coordinated effort should be initiated to develop a firm scientific understanding of the several phenomena which apparently are involved in these reports..." (1952 memorandum to the National Security Council.)
General Walter Bedell Smith, Director of the CIA from 1950-53

He's not exactly a UFO whistleblower per se but Victor Marchetti (once executive assistant to the Deputy Director of the CIA) also makes some interesting remarks in the 'rare but largely speculative' article below entitled "How the CIA Views the UFO Phenomenon".

Billy Cox over at the Herald-Tribune has recently posted this 'gem of an article' in its entirety and, even in a historical context it's well worth a read as it covers lots of aspects from official /religious attitudes towards the subject, government sponsered UFO studies right through to NSA and SIGNIT reports.

(Taken from Second Look magazine, Vol. 1, No. 7 in May 1979).

Retro Friday: a blast from the past

Before blowing the whistle on America's illegal covert Cold War activities, Victor Marchetti was a 14-year CIA veteran ultimately promoted to executive assistant to The Agency's Deputy Director. After resigning in 1969, he wrote two exposes -- 1971's The Rope Dancer, and The CIA and the Cult of Intelligence in 1974. The latter, which the federal government attempted to ban from publication, was among the many slings and arrows contributing to the formation of the U.S. Senate Select Committee on Intelligence hearings in 1975.

In 1979, Marchetti stoked yet another controversy by providing a rare if largely speculative glimpse into the mindset of The Agency's uneasy relationship with The Great Taboo. Titled "How the CIA Views the UFO Phenomenon," Marchetti's magazine piece took a cautious approach. "The topic was rarely discussed at internal meetings," he wrote. "It seemed to fall into the category of 'very sensitive activities,' e.g., drug and mind-control operations, domestic spying, and other illegal actions. People simply did not talk about the UFO phenomenon."

Full Sourced Article

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join