It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Southend Hospital Evacuated After Hand Grenade Found

page: 1

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 06:44 AM
Please read the following news article...

This incident occurred at my local hospital, and caused a partial evacuation, not to mention a perimeter cordon to be established. Explosives experts were bought in to secure the suspect device, and found it to be an old format of hand grenade, although no further data has been released as far as I know, to identify the precise type of grenade.

What is not made clear in the article, is that those who were evacuated, included patients who required the services of doctors and nurses. I am pleased to report that persons who were there have reported to me in person, that the staff at the hospital remained with patients where they could not be moved, and treated them outside when it was possible as well. All the staff involved deserve a pat on the back if you ask me, and are examples of the sort of mentality that a person SHOULD have when they work in the medical feild.

Kudos to all of them.

No one is sure as of yet, where the device came from, who dropped it off, or what their aims and leanings were in doing so. The fact that the grenade was old, leads me to think that they might suspect that the device was of a World War Two era design. If so, that rather expands the possible suspect pool. Crazy days in little old Southend On Sea.

edit on 14-2-2015 by TrueBrit because: Spelling error corrected.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 04:44 AM
I head the very next day they found a grenade in the Museum, but have not seen any info on this yet. Very strange but also an isolated event.

I'm sure we will find something out at some point.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 04:08 AM
a reply to: brace22

What, the museum on Victoria Avenue?

The latest on the matter of the hospital device, is that the grenade was of 1940s manufacture, and the police believe that there was no malice in its placement there. The grenade WAS live, but was not primed, one assumes, given their conclusion.

I had not heard about the museum also having been an unwilling recipient of an old grenade, although I am sure there are some old grenades in the WW2 section, or at least I am sure there were last time I went in there.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:13 AM
a reply to: TrueBrit

I honestly had no idea, just going by something on Facebook but I didn't really consider it a viable source of info.

Weird how that grenade ended up in the hospital :S

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 10:15 AM
Hey truebrit! i remember hearing something about a grenade being found near Southend didn't realise it was at the hospital. So un fair why can't I find a grenade one day. I do like seeing stories close to home on ATS. I get the echo through my door every day but I've yet to get out of bed today lol

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:31 AM
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

Heh! Lazy days and crazy days!

Who knew Essex was so diverse!

new topics

top topics