It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Twitter troll is harassing the family of a Sandy Hook victim, and it took 24 hours to help

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: IPFreely101
Just a bunch of egotistical losers that think detcective work via their chair and computer gives them some higher insight..and yes probably a mental deficiency for some. Pretty much anyone who would badger any of the victims deserves to be found and dealt with..not by the law either.
I have 0% use for twitter or facebook.

edit on 14-2-2015 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-2-2015 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: DelMarvel

originally posted by: Dabrazzo
Making it easier to trade mark a persons name could give rise to very dangerous censorship practices.

So you shouldn't have the right to your own name on the internet?

No you do not have the "right" to your name on the internet. There are billions of people in the world, and many who have shared names. You don't get to be the only one in an anonymous environment with a given name. It's funny how some people are getting so bent out of shape over a troll. It works best to ignore them and then they go away.
edit on 2/14/2015 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: DelMarvel

So you shouldn't have the right to your own name on the internet?

There are people with the same name you know.

Btw, how many different twitter accounts can you start with one and the same name?

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: DelMarvel
You don't own your name in real life, let alone the internet lol.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Maybe somebody is writing a book or laying pipe for a lawsuit.

Sick and sad that one "maniac" makes "society" look bad.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: neformore

Well hell, if this is in The Washington Post there's no chance
on earth the media faithful in this thread are rattling sabers
at a totally fictional persona. Nef, how can you trust so much,
a media so geared for propaganda? You don't seem to understand
that the days of reading stories like this and taking it for the gospel,
no questions asked, are long gone. I swear the media says something
and you all jump on that band wagon of responses and frankly. It's childish
to not consider you might be getting played.
edit on Rpm21415v152015u21 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

On Wednesday, the family of Victoria Soto — the 27-year-old teacher who died shielding students during the Sandy Hook massacre — filed 15 harassment reports to Twitter about the same, relentless troll.

There are a surprising number of people who hold this viewpoint, alas. But @InternetSheriff is unique in that he keeps registering Twitter accounts under Soto’s name,

So this person keeps making accounts under her name? I don't think you can make the same account twice, so what's that about? Or does he/she put a 1,2,3 behind it?

@InternetSheriff, as he or she goes by currently, is a Sandy Hook “truther”:

I thought this person kept registering under her name. How do they know this @InternetSherrif is the same person?

Can anyone with Twitter do some snooping?
edit on 14-2-2015 by IPFreely101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

a reply to: IPFreely101

I believe trademarking and Intellectual Property laws are being used to actively censor both freedom of expression and information that the internet has given rise too. Making it easier to trade mark a persons name could give rise to very dangerous censorship practices.

"cyber-bullying" as it were has long since been used by governments as they cherry pick whatever moral outrage is in fashion right now to introduce a lot of very draconian censorship laws that ultimatly seemed designed not to protect anyone but to simply errode our freedoms even more.

The name @InternetSherrif would fit such a notion.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   

What depresses most is that this ladies account name is "TeamVickiSoto". When did that trend start with putting "team" in everything and who is to blame for that?, its infuriating.

actually I believe that started with Conan O'brien when the whole Leno/NBC fiasco happened.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
SO Much controversy.....

I guess when someone trolls a victims family, thats ok because people either don't accept that its happened, or want to cite "freedom of speech", but when I try and make a point by being as extreme - and explain that I was trying to make a point in the same post, people get offended and want it censored.

So the people who are standing up for "freedom of speech" simply don't actually want it, because it doesn't actually suit them, because they don't like seeing that kind of thing on the internet.

But its only the internet - right?

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I was simply wanting to see moderation staff held to the same standards as the rest of us. I have seen entire threads yanked for one post expressing the same type of violence that you did. I'm not at all saying that you shouldn't have the freedom to say what you want, you should, I was simply saying that I was under the impression that ATS was not the place for the words that you had typed.

I didn't mean to offend or cause controversy.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
When did Twitter become a necessary public forum that all people had to join and that garnered protection from the law? No one forces you to join Twitter, or Facebook or any social media. If I were this family I would delete Twitter, and by doing so I've taken away all of the trolls power.

Twitter is just another way to cram advertising down the throats of the masses who need to feel plugged in with events that, for the most part, have no bearing on their lives, so they can give a short, thoughtless, meaningless opinion and feel glorified by whatever recognition it might garner.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
As one of the biggest supporters of gun rights in this country.

Even I don't believe the Sandy Hook truther bull snip.

You can judge us all by that asinine action.

But there are many of us who don't think that.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

and while I expect replies to this post crying "freedom of speech" it goes WAY beyond that. No one has freedom to harass or belittle and abuse

It's not harassment when you're on a public forum.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
If I were this family I would delete Twitter, and by doing so I've taken away all of the trolls power.

Very true, no one can harass or stalk you etc. on social media if you simply stop using such crap.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct
Your spot on..PFFT twitter..facebook too, I do not care one iota what anyone had for lunch or what they did 5 mins ago or planning in the next 5 mins. I just don't get it? Does it make people feel important or like some kind of mutual admiration society?

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA

originally posted by: neformore
a reply to: TKDRL

Its disturbing that you can't possibly comprehend what it must be like to lose a loved one and then have idiots telling you that you haven't, and that you are a liar.

I do! and I wouldn't be laughing the next day seconds before I went on camera to "cry" and I wouldn't call into radio shows the next day making political statements about AR-15's. You wouldn't see me for at least a year. I would be pissed off that the "official report" took over a year and only a couple words per page didn't have black ink hiding them. And I would be pissed that the FBI would not even recognize it in their data base. because of those reasons why I would be so angry I might actually understand why there are so many screaming for the truth and coming up with theories on their own since any and all official investigations were total farces right from the first statements from LEO to the press all the way to the official report.

$50,000,000 for a new school. That is only like 5 times the amount a 500 kid school would cost. Nice win-fall Newtown!

I bet there is a NLBS episode in the making that will for some reason leave out these pesky little details.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   

I'll use lest descriptive language when describing this "truther" - There are other ways that they could be raising awareness of the S.H. incident. For example, while it's still offensive, I wouldn't feel this way if someone posted a youtube with private comments. Why? Because they can spout all the theories they want, and offended people can block their videos.

If you want a comparison, I don't believe all of the events in the Boston Marathon happened as they were reported. However, you don't see me going on twitter accusing some of the people that lost limbs as being "actors". Same in this incident - If I lost a kid, and someone claimed I was "pretending" to have one after watching one video where I'm too stunned to show emotion or even comprehend that I lost them, I'd be wanting to knock some teeth out.

It's true that the version of the story people get isn't always 100% truth, but some of this S.H. nonsense is stretching it. At least to me, in today's society, it is perfectly conceivable, 110%, that some deranged person would go in and kill a bunch of kids.

-fossilera

PS: Sorry if I've offended anyone with the stuff above.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join