It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Timeline for a date with a firing squad . Time running out for Bali 9 pair .

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 04:00 AM
link   
www.abc.net.au...

I was going to research this timeline myself but the ABC has done all the hard yards for me .

Later that day the head of the Bali prosecutor's office confirms he has received permission to transfer Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran out of Kerobokan prison so they can be taken away for execution.No date has yet been set for the executions.

This is where the ABC timeline finishes but below the hipocricy of this government is well .... rather immense

Last year Indonesia paid $2.1 million to stop the execution of an Indonesian maid who killed her elderly employer in Saudi Arabia, News Corp reports.
There are reportedly 230 Indonesians on death row in Malaysia, Singapore, China, Qatar and Saudi Arabia on drugs charges.
In 2014, 44 Indonesians were reportedly released from death row around the world as a result of the government's intervention with legal costs in the millions of dollars

www.9news.com.au...

So the Indonesian government fights tooth and nail to stop its own citizens from being executed overseas , approx 230 for drug related charges . But then orders the executions of people convicted in its own country . Perhaps this is why .

indonesia’s Joko Widodo was swept into power in October promising widespread reforms and action to stamp out corruption in one of the world’s largest democracies. But his choice of an allegedly corrupt general for police chief has sparked public anger with the self-styled man of the people and raised further questions about his grip on his party.
“[If] Jokowi fails to establish himself as both president and the dominant figure within [his party], we could see sentiment turning very negative against him,” said Jeffrey Winters of the political science department at Northwestern University in the US, referring to Mr Widodo by his nickname.

So is this man sticking to his guns just to bolster his grip on the presidency ?

Only President Joko Widodo can save the men from execution, but he gave a defiant vow this week not to succumb to outside pressure
Read more at www.9news.com.au...

This leads to the latest development .

A date for the executions won't be provided at the meeting, but the provision of 72 hours notice will be discussed, as well as access to the prisoners for family and logistics over foreign media coverage.
Ministry spokesman Arrmanatha Nasir says officials representing Ghana, France, the Philippines and Nigeria have also been summoned.
When Indonesia executed five foreign nationals last month, the meeting with relevant embassies took place one day before Attorney-General HM Prasetyo announced the execution date.
That announcement signalled the 72-hour notice period.

Now obviously these men havent been executed yet and i stress Indonesian law is Indonesian law . But is execution right given the Indonesian goverments attempts to save its own citizens overseas . Does execution even act as a deterrent .

Further to failing to act as a deterrent, Indonesia’s actions are out of step with the growing global consensus of opposition to the use of the death penalty for drug-related offences.

inpud.net...

But the final irony is this .

The man's lavish lifestyle is funded by a multimillion-dollar lottery pay out, which he won about the time the two young Australians, who acted as the local leaders of the syndicate in Bali, were being sentenced to death.

www.dailymail.co.uk... Australian-duo-prepare-face-firing-squad.html

About now is when i expect people to reply saying they are getting what they deserve . But shooting their heart out wont stop drug trafficking . It wont achieve any thing except maybe strengthening President Wididos grip on power .

edit on 14-2-2015 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-2-2015 by hutch622 because: really bad attempt at a post no one will read

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 04:17 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

I am not sure why half my post looks like a quote .

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 04:20 AM
link   

You've left a quote tag open.

I agree Indonesia is king for hypocrisy, but at the end of the day, these guys knew the risks and are now paying the price.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 04:24 AM
link   
If the Indonesian Govt executes Sukumaran and Chan then methinks there is going to be a MASSIVE boycott by Aussies refusing to holiday in Indonesia.

originally posted by: hutch622

I am not sure why half my post looks like a quote .

You have forgotten to close off a 'quote' tag somewhere.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

You've left a quote tag open.

That happens a lot with me . Perhaps when i try to edit for space ???

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 04:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

but at the end of the day, these guys knew the risks and are now paying the price.

So you believe that humans cannot be rehabilitated - as this pair have proven to be?

Whats wrong with a life sentence? Just because these two made a mistake doesn't mean they should have to pay with their lives, particularly when they are sentenced under a legal system that is supposed to rehabilitate.

Should we just execute everyone in jail?

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 04:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

If the Indonesian Govt executes Sukumaran and Chan then methinks there is going to be a MASSIVE boycott by Aussies refusing to holiday in Indonesia.

There have already been hints by Julie Bishop that this may be the case .

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 04:55 AM
link   
There are countries all over the world that have used a failed model to stamp out the drug trade. All they have managed to do is incarcerate those who thought they could make a quick buck or the unlucky devils who's main goal in life is to get their drug fix; not soon enough for those IMO. That is obviously not including TPTB in many countries that hold the actual keys to the trade themselves. As far as I am concerned natural selection usually removes idiots from the gene pool... however having said that, a double standard by a government which is supposedly based on laws is terrible especially if they are not coming to your rescue when a foreign domestic entanglement can result in being shot.

There are countries that for some reason decide to pick you out for a drug test.. Even if weed is legal in your state/country you originate from; when you are in their country and get tested positive (say within the first few days of your arrival) you are in serious trouble...Depending on how much money you can cough up... Travelers be warned..

I don't have the answer to the drug trade/war all I know is the whole thing is a failed war and rife with corruption all over the world. I wish it were not so.. But at this stage it is the hand we have been dealt...

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   

The minions get life sentences, these guys were the so called ring-leaders.

Does the Indonesian legal system claim it's meant to rehabilitate? Despite being known to have the harshest penalties in the world...

They're just oxygen thieves in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 05:01 AM
link   
They knew the risk....

They would have profited from the DRUGs , the what about the lifes of the ppl using the drugs........ then turned around and done it again.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 05:04 AM
link   

The minions get life sentences, these guys were the so called ring-leaders.

Actually, the kingpin, or ringleader, is living a life of luxury in Sydney while these two get executed for being mules. Yes, they were the leaders of the mules but not the kingpin who organised it all.

Does the Indonesian legal system claim it's meant to rehabilitate? Despite being known to have the harshest penalties in the world...

Yes it does.

They're just oxygen thieves in my opinion.

I'm assuming your answer to the rehabilitation question is No, humans cannot be rehabilitated. Despite all the hard work this pair have done in the last decade, starting art/computer/drug rehab/religious classes, and despite helping literally hundreds of other prisoners, and despite having publicly apologised and repented for what they did (which, I may remind you, was smuggling drugs OUT of Indonesia) - DESPITE all of this you would still see them executed?

If this is truly so then you are not the person I thought you to be Chad. That kind of thinking is backward and medieval.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 05:05 AM
link   

If you had clicked on all the links you might have seen this .

www.dailymail.co.uk... Australian-duo-prepare-face-firing-squad.html

If the purpose of jail isnt to rehabilitate why have jails or sentences .

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Normally I'm pretty Left.

But in this case I think Darwinism has a gun.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Everyone is sorry when they get caught.

The kingpin should get strung up too, seems he was smart enough to quit while he was ahead..shame.

I wonder why Chan and Sukumaran didn't roll on him? May have saved their lives?

I really haven't paid that much attention to it all to be honest, just seen that two Australian heroin smugglers won't be doing it again.

Good.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 05:22 AM
link   

I dunno, I don't think the normal aussie on the street will stop going to Bali over this. Everyone will have forgotten about it after a week. But in saying that, I don't mind. Our bogan-bin-tang-brethren can have Bali.. its a filthy, seedy and cheap get away.

Its dangerous but.. so many fat, drunk and obnoxious Aussie's roaming around.. if ISIS really wanted to make Australia look silly there's plenty of target rich environments.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

Not really appropriate , many Australians have already lost theirs lives at the hands or terrorists in Bali . Why would you suggest such a thing .

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 05:43 AM
link   

I wonder why Chan and Sukumaran didn't roll on him?

There were suggestions they were afraid for their families , no i cant provide a link although i read it today , it might even be in the ABC timeline .

just seen that two Australian heroin smugglers won't be doing it again.

And if they were to be jailed for life the drugs still would not get here .

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 05:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties
So you believe that humans cannot be rehabilitated - as this pair have proven to be?

Not proven at all, simply doing what their lawyer told them to do, suck up to people, to try and get a reduced sentence.

Whats wrong with a life sentence? Just because these two made a mistake

So you think a "mistake" is traveling to Indonesia, smuggling drugs back to Australia, then flying back to Indonesia to do it again?

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 05:50 AM
link   

I really haven't paid that much attention to it all to be honest, just seen that two Australian heroin smugglers won't be doing it again.

If you had paid attention you would know that these two have made extreme efforts to rehabilitate.

Not to mention the obvious political influence behind these executions.

Also, not to mention the hypocrisy of the Indonesian govt executing people when they try to free their own people on death row in other countries MANY OF WHICH ARE THERE FOR THE SAME CRIME.

You would have known all of this had you been paying attention.

I cant believe the callousness and viciousness of some people, particularly those that think executing people solves problems.

But apparently some people don't care about trivial issues like that. They prefer just ignore all that and shout OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!

Sick. Just plain sick.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 05:54 AM
link   
a reply to: hellobruce

So you think a "mistake" is traveling to Indonesia, smuggling drugs back to Australia, then flying back to Indonesia to do it again?

Widodo has sent these men to their death and did not even realise they were smuggling drugs OUT of Indonesia . Who sold them the drugs .... crickets . So these men conjured up the drugs at the airport . Oh i get it , the dealers had money . Move along we bagged 9 Australians .

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join