It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran uses an ICBM to launch a satellite

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I guess Iran doesn't have the technology or the money for a regular rocket to get a satellite into space.

According to an Israeli official, Iran recently used an ICBM to get one up.

Sounds like they have extras laying around doing nothing else.

The Israeli official thinks this was a "test" of ICBM capabilities.

Iran denies.

The U.S. State Department also is "concerned".

Hmmm. I thought we were "negotiating" with Iran?

Satellite Launch Renews Focus on Iran’s Illicit Ballistic Missile Program

Iran used an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) to send a satellite into space earlier this month, Israeli Minister of Intelligence and Strategic Affairs Yuval Steinitz revealed in an interview yesterday. Steinitz contended that the use of an ICBM to launch the satellite was the means by which Iran could test the efficacy of its missiles.

“It’s actually a test for intercontinental ballistic missiles that can bring nuclear warheads directly from Iran to Boston or to New York,” Steinitz said.

“And therefore it’s true it’s a greater threat to Israel because they are speaking about the annihilation of the Jewish state, but it’s a great threat to the United States of America…”

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani boasted at the launch of the satellite that “our scientists have entered a new phase for conquering space. We will continue on this path.” It was Iran’s fourth satellite launch since 2009 and first successful one since 2012.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Lol.

What is the difference.

A rocket that reaches orbit is a rocket that reaches orbit.

Israel are just sticking a label on it.

Do we now call the Saturn V an ICBM.

Just more silly grandstanding because Israel are cheesed off at how well the talks are going.

Just more BS.

P

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Yet another nail in the coffin, this will likely be another pretext for continuing the war in the ME.

I like how they imply this is a threat to the U.S., who in their right mind would bomb the most powerful military in the world? Doing that is a death sentence.

Propaganda, propaganda, propaganda. They're going into overdrive with it these days.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Yet another nail in the coffin, this will likely be another pretext for continuing the war in the ME.

I like how they imply this is a threat to the U.S., who in their right mind would bomb the most powerful military in the world? Doing that is a death sentence.

Propaganda, propaganda, propaganda. They're going into overdrive with it these days.

"In their right mind" is subjective. If they believe they are fulfilling a prophecy and heralding in an age for a holy figure to appear, then ya they are in the "right mind" to launch a nuke at anyone.
edit on 14-2-2015 by TinfoilTP because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Iranian ICBM? Zionists are getting wet.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   
If it was an ICBM, shouldn't we be applauding that they used it to launch a satellite, rather than for other uses?

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

I thought the same thing. It is like the Christian's spears to ploy shares idea. They should be praised for turning a weapon toward peaceful use, unless the satellite is actually a weapon.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Irans pretty sneaky, instead of investing money into ballistic weapons research which would bring them all sorts of international ire they fund a "space programme" instead lol.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Dabrazzo

Hey when life gives you lemons

Make lemonade

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Until Iran launches one of these rockets and it actually lands on another continent in a controlled and intentional manner it's merely a rocket. There's a world of difference in launching a rocket straight up and into space from launching one and guiding it halfway around the globe.

I can build a self driving car in 5 seconds! At least until it comes to a bend and crashes into a tree and the brick falls off the gas pedal.

Oh Israel! The poor abused stepchild of the world who always gets picked on and nobody loves because quite frankly they are a whiney spoilt brat that has to be the special kid that gets whatever they want.

Screw Bibi and his ilk. It would seem they are the ones seeking Armageddon and the fulfillment of their backwards religion more-so than Islam.
edit on 2/14/2015 by Kukri because: sp

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

It's not BS, North Korea do it too.

And yes, the Saturn V rocket is derived from an ICBM program, many are, including Iran's rocket, the satellite launch vehicle is the same as the ICBM

edit on 14/2/15 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Yeah they totally want their country obliterated into pieces to fulfill a prophecy riiggghhttt...

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
In spite of the continued threat and sanctions, Iran isn't harmless and they have stated their desires publicly. But don't anyone take them seriously, they're just pulling your leg.

Some of us actually take to heart their threats and realize they are a force to be reckoned with. Their words and actions tell us the truth and shouldn't be pshawed away.

Fadavi said that Iran maintains close contact with regional neighbors and will prevent the US Navy from acting in the Persian Gulf.

“The Americans and the rest of the world know that one of the IRGC navy’s operational goals is to destroy the U.S. Navy,” Fadavi went on to say.

In fact, Fadavi told Iranian state-run media that Iran has “for many years now” been building “models of American destroyers, cruisers, and frigates, and sinking them.” He also claims that Iran can sink the duplicated US ships “within 50 seconds.”

Meanwhile, Iran’s nuclear program has continued to expand. According to a 2013 Economist article, more than 9,000 centrifuges for the nuclear program had been installed by Iran in less than two years. Talks between Iran and six world powers concerning Iranian nuclear power are occurring in Vienna. This past Wednesday, US delegation said it wanted to discuss the Iranian ballistic missile program and possible military applications of the country’s nuclear work. The Iranian Foreign Minister just laughed and ignored the remarks, according to an Iranian official present.

www.westernjournalism.com...

In response to a question by a parliamentarian on how long this battle will continue, Khamenei said, “Battle and jihad are endless because evil and its front continue to exist. … This battle will only end when the society can get rid of the oppressors’ front with America at the head of it, which has expanded its claws on human mind, body and thought. … This requires a difficult and lengthy struggle and need for great strides.”

dailycaller.com...

A senior Iranian commander this week is calling for the destruction not just of Israel but of the United States of America, as well. “As long as America exists, we will not rest,” said Brig. Gen. Mohammad Reza Naqdi, head of the Basij paramilitary force. “In revealing the truth about America and the Zionists, we must raise public hate against the despotic powers and create the environment for the destruction of America.” Such language is consistent with the Twelver eschatology held by the senior Iranian leadership that says Iran must seek to annihilate Israel (the “Little Satan” in their view) and the U.S. (which they call the “Great Satan”) in order to hasten the coming of the Twelfth Imam and the establishment of a global Islamic kingdom or Caliphate.

flashtrafficblog.wordpress.com... es/

“FBI and DEA agents have disrupted a plot to commit a ‘significant terrorist act in the United States’ tied to Iran, federal officials told ABC News today. The officials said the plot included the assassination of the Saudi Arabian ambassador to the United States, Adel Al-Jubeir, with a bomb and subsequent bomb attacks on the Saudi and Israeli embassies in Washington, D.C. Bombings of the Saudi and Israeli embassies in Buenos Aires, Argentina, were also discussed, according to the U.S. officials.”

FBI Director Robert Mueller told reporters: “Though it reads like the pages of a Hollywood script, the impact would have been very real and many lives would have been lost.”

flashtrafficblog.wordpress.com... what-if-iran-had-nuclear-weapons/

I feel safer already knowing they are just teasing.
edit on 14-2-2015 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

OH look at me!! i can sink MOCK UPS of NAVAL SHIPS that WILL NOT BE WITHIN RANGE OF MY ANTI SHIP MISSILES OR SUBS AT THE START OF A FIGHT WITH IRANS FORCES! Sheesh. What a maroon their commander is. First comes the Tomohawk missile barrages/satellite disruptions. then comes the bombing/wild weasel missions. then comes the navy after the sea threats are neutralized.then the marines,and then the army and hello democracy.

That is what the progression normally is. lol

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme
If it was an ICBM, shouldn't we be applauding that they used it to launch a satellite, rather than for other uses?

Its only ok to fire rockets when we do it.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

First comes the Tomohawk missile barrages/satellite disruptions. then comes the bombing/wild weasel missions. then comes the navy after the sea threats are neutralized.then the marines,and then the army and hello democracy.

That is what the progression normally is. lol

Counter measures are taken after an attack. I believe most people want to prevent an attack in the first place and the Iranians have made it very clear they want to destroy us. They're focused and driven to accomplish their task. They have an agenda as you can see from my post above but I'll repost it:

“In revealing the truth about America and the Zionists, we must raise public hate against the despotic powers and create the environment for the destruction of America.” Such language is consistent with the Twelver eschatology held by the senior Iranian leadership that says Iran must seek to annihilate Israel (the “Little Satan” in their view) and the U.S. (which they call the “Great Satan”) in order to hasten the coming of the Twelfth Imam and the establishment of a global Islamic kingdom or Caliphate.

I for one take them seriously, very seriously. I'm sure they're aware they'll most likely have only one really good opportunity to strike at the "Great Satan" before counter measures are taken and they'll make it count.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Stout. Ive made it a habit to study Iranian defenses and offenses. SUre they can close the straight of hormuz,but hold it? nope sorry. Their ships are primarily low draft and made for the gulf itself. Not from where the US navy will strike them from out in the ocean. their farthest(accurate) AS missile would run out of fuel before reaching the CAG but the US navy can hit them with tomahawks outside the iranians range.

MAss motoboat attack? yeah try that when the CAG is on full alert. Not only would th e satellites see them massing for this attack it would be useless especially if someone dropped a FAB over them on the way to the group. Sure they arent nothing to poo poo but they still dont have any way to back up their threats we cant negate.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

You're correct and I'm not as worried about the ships as I (and the DOD) am about this:

While Iranian missiles can't yet reach America, Iran having a nuclear weapons capability can potentially directly threaten the United States and its inhabitants. The U.S. Department of Defense reported in April 2012: "With sufficient foreign assistance, Iran may be technically capable of flight-testing an intercontinental ballistic missile by 2015.” Many analysts are also concerned about the possibility of a nuclear weapon arriving in a cargo container at a major US port. Furthermore, a federally mandated commission to study electromagnetic pulse (EMP) attacks noted the vast damage that could be wrought by a single missile with a nuclear warhead, launched from a ship off the US coast, and detonated a couple of hundred miles in the air, high above America.

*snip*

Iran's nuclear program is clearly intended to develop a nuclear weapons capability. For eighteen years, it was kept secret, even though international assistance would have been available to a civilian program. In 2002, Iran's covert program was exposed. Since then, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has repeatedly said that it cannot consider Iran's nuclear program as entirely civilian. On November 8, 2011 it released a report stating there is "credible" evidence that "Iran has carried out activities relevant to the development of a nuclear device." Each report since then has underscored Iran’s continuing refusal to address the IAEA’s evidence and its refusal to allow IAEA inspectors into the Parchin complex, where evidence shows “strong indicators of possible nuclear weapon development.”

In 2009, Western intelligence agencies discovered, and Iran admitted to, another secret facility that is designed for approximately 3,000 centrifuges to enrich uranium. President Obama commented that the "configuration" of the Fordow facility is "not consistent with a peaceful nuclear program." Three thousand centrifuges are sufficient for producing quantities of highly enriched uranium for nuclear weapons, but not for fuel for nuclear power plants.

WHAT EVIDENCE DOES THE INTERNATIONAL ATOMIC ENERGY AGENCY (IAEA) HAVE?

On November 8, 2011, the IAEA released a comprehensive and damning report on Iran's nuclear program. The report is based on intelligence received from more than 10 different countries, interviews with foreign scientists who helped Iran develop their program, and the IAEA's own investigations and analyses.

In unambiguous terms, the report stated that Iran is engaged in "activities relevant to the development of a nuclear device." These activities include:
Research on uranium cores and detonators for nuclear weapons
Acquiring nuclear weapons development information and documentation from a clandestine supply network
Developing an indigenous nuclear weapons design and testing of the components
Computer modeling of nuclear explosions and logistics for nuclear testing
Engineering studies to adapt missiles for nuclear warheads

www.adl.org...

edit on 15-2-2015 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

True,but A ICBM launch toward the fleet will most likely be knocked down though if its just Iran.

As for a EMP missile one able to be put on a tanker ship could be a issue. If we didnt keep tabs on all Iranian ships coming from that area of the world.

ALso Yield would be a factor. ALso we still have things that are below the use of Computers like carbeurators that are old school. I would not be surprised we have PAtriot missile batteries around all major ports in the US.

teh US military though is ready for EMP weapons due to they are hardened against it. All Iran would do is speed up its entry into the promised land and alot of Israelis dancing in the street.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Might want to check out the source on this one they look pretty pro-Israel to say the least. Maybe this is one side of the issue...... I wonder what the other side has to say.

top topics

join