It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do all Christians have blind faith?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Lol, I didnt say the world would end in a year or two, I didnt even imply it.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

I dont know why God heals some, and not others, but who are you to judge?

A moral man with free will. I don't care if you or anyone or anything else is judging me. It's not going to stop me from judging them. Things should be judged. Are you familiar with Divine Command Theory? I assume that's something you follow. I don't. It's that kind of thinking that foster's horrendous immoral actions in the name of religion.

Now my judgement was hypothetical. I'm judging the beliefs and the implications of such a god. I don't believe the Biblical god exists.

To bring it back on topic. Divine Command Theory to me is the epitome of 'blind faith'.
edit on 15-2-2015 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Physical eyes closed to this materialistic world, Spiritual eyes open to The Spirit of God full of tender mercy and compassion.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 02:36 AM
link   
a reply to: AreUKiddingMe

The OP asked about blind faith...... since she used bible versus to explain blind faith it was appropriate for you to answer in bible versus.

An excellent explanation.

S&F

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 02:41 AM
link   

You could not speak this way without the Holy Spirit.

I am curious, are you in the ministry?

You are very well versed.

God bless you.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

Thank you for the kind words. No I'm not in the ministry but I grew up in a Christian home and learned how to read by reading the Bible. I attend church now and my life is truly enriched by my faith and fellowship with other believers. It's saddening to see the growing numbers of unbelievers.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   

It's saddening to see the growing numbers of unbelievers.

Many of us are more than open to being persuaded. We simply require a different kind of evidence than believers it seems. I require a substantial amount of evidence to believe something is objectively truthful. This applies to all things. I personally think it's not sad at all, but great, that more and more people are questioning the faith and being critical towards it. I'd want people to be that way towards all things. Either way, while it may be sad to you, you can surely relate to it. After all, you're essentially an atheist to the creator gods of other conflicting religions.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Paul's religion, Pauline Christianity teaches to walk in faith. Jesus taught to walk in grace. James the brother Jesus taught that faith is nothing without deeds.

Why does James contradict Paul by saying we're justified by works and not by faith alone? He even quotes Abraham for proof of his point, just as Paul did.

Here is a quote from Paul to explain:

If righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly

Paul is all about the death of Christ. James and Peter are not so attracted to the death of Christ, but the teachings that Christ taught while he was alive. This is because Paul is thinking by way of the Greek mystery schools. He didn't know Jesus personally. He teaches a completely different doctrine. That is why Peter opposed Paul. Peter does not teach Christ as this sacrificial lamb who automatically saved the world, he preaches that the teachings of Christ can save the world through Him if they are observed and practiced. It is quite a different doctrine. And western Christianity obviously liked it more - because they are lazy, lol, they would much rather just sit and believe to get into heaven than actually doing work for it. I am certain in my learnings from Christ, that if a man just sits there and believes it will not have much of an effect for his salvation. Indeed Christ warned that we must have strength because the work is not easy, but hard work indeed.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucid Lunacy

It's saddening to see the growing numbers of unbelievers.

Many of us are more than open to being persuaded. We simply require a different kind of evidence than believers it seems. I require a substantial amount of evidence to believe something is objectively truthful. This applies to all things. I personally think it's not sad at all, but great, that more and more people are questioning the faith and being critical towards it. I'd want people to be that way towards all things. Either way, while it may be sad to you, you can surely relate to it. After all, you're essentially an atheist to the creator gods of other conflicting religions.

Many of today's so-called believers have diluted and muddied the waters of religion. So in that sense I can't blame people for being skeptical. My version of belief comes with standing in humble awe when I look at the vastness of the known universe, all the way down to the tiniest detail that sustains and breathes life. I can't imagine that all this could happen without a wise and intelligent Creator somewhere, sometime. Yes there are questions "Why does this happen if there's a God or why does that happen?" Realizing that our consciousness cannot comprehend the truest of wisdom, and our brains are finite, rather than having the claim that we can understand everything with enough research, is what we need. Humble realization that we do not have all of the answers and likely will never have. As far as religion goes, I believe there is good and evil, light and dark forces. I don't think we have the wisdom to interpret why all the different religions exist, and why some are bad and some are good. There might be hundreds or thousands of other planets, each with their own religion, pointing to or pointing away from a Creator. To deny the existence of God is foolishness, in my opinion and also what the Bible (number one best seller of all time) says.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Well I certainly agree with much of what you said. As it would pertain to the general god concept. Much of what you said, being an argument for a Creator god, would apply to any religion that has one and not just towards Christianity though. Which I think you just acknowledged more or less.

To deny the existence of God is foolishness, in my opinion and also what the Bible (number one best seller of all time) says.

See now if you had just left things at being in awe of the Universe and pondering over our existence and exploring the idea there might be a creator god I would have appreciated it and it would have only gotten my respect!

You however just called me a fool.

A fool for not believing what the Bible says.

So let's look at what the Bible [Genesis] says:

It says the Sun and all stars were made after Earth on Day 4.

It says Earth had thriving plant life, including fruit-bearing trees, on Day 3.

This means everything scientists know about cosmology is completely wrong. As no one in that field believes all the stars came into being after Earth.

This also implies on Day 3 the Earth would have been a utterly frozen planet without sunshine. So now we have to throw another field of science out. How else are we to believe fruit trees could grow for years on a wholly frozen planet without a Sun?

You're telling me I am foolish for not believing that's objectively truthful?

Well then you and I are diametrically opposed in world views, and not just on the topic of religion.

I would have to flip everything upside down to think my position on the reality of that was a foolish one.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Just as I never implied that the Earth wouldn't come to an end one day.

You gave a "prophecy" that will be fulfilled within the next year or two. You were vague about what that prophecy entailed, I assumed you meant the end times.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lucid Lunacy

See now if you had just left things at being in awe of the Universe and pondering over our existence and exploring the idea there might be a creator god I would have appreciated it and it would have only gotten my respect!

You however just called me a fool.

A fool for not believing what the Bible says.

So let's look at what the Bible [Genesis] says:

It says the Sun and all stars were made after Earth on Day 4.

It says Earth had thriving plant life, including fruit-bearing trees, on Day 3.

This means everything scientists know about cosmology is completely wrong. As no one in that field believes all the stars came into being after Earth.

This also implies on Day 3 the Earth would have been a utterly frozen planet without sunshine. So now we have to throw another field of science out. How else are we to believe fruit trees could grow for years on a wholly frozen planet without a Sun?

You're telling me I am foolish for not believing that's objectively truthful?

Well then you and I are diametrically opposed in world views, and not just on the topic of religion.

I would have to flip everything upside down to think my position on the reality of that was a foolish one.

Quoting the Bible, this is what it says: "The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God". KJV

In science, we can look at things and not see the full picture. How long was it that we thought the earth was flat? The creation, as told in the Bible, doesn't agree with what would rationally happen if you buy into the Big Bang theory, which is only a theory! I believe it happened as God said it happened, whether it was during a Big Bang or something else. I can't validate the Big Bang theory with the Bible.

Can you or any human duplicate the universe? Or create life? Yes, in my opinion, only a fool would think there is no Creator. That's not meant as an insult, just my view on humanity. That's why it's saddening to see so many without a belief in God. They have no hope for when they die. We as believers have the hope of resurrection and eternal life.
edit on 2 by AreUKiddingMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Sure we can create life. What do you think sex is for?

Does God not have the ability to duplicate himself into an infinite number of unique viewpoints? How do you know we aren't God's way of experiencing itself? I am a duplicate of you and my children will be a duplicate of me. We all have the universe within us because we ARE the universe. Us creating babies is us duplicating the universe, so yes we can duplicate the universe.

We are all the same on the inside, otherwise we wouldn't all be a part of the ONE universe. You are the universe experiencing itself. The universe is God, it is all in all.

What is the universe full of? Light. What is God? Light. What do you see? Light. What are you? Light. You are the light of the world, you give rise to everything in the universe. When you wake up in the morning, you are giving rise to your little corner of the universe, though you are the universe in its fullness.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   

God belief is separate from religious belief. One could believe in a creator god and not in any religious god. As such not believing in the Bible doesn't imply someone necessarily lacks belief in a creator god.

It's not foolish to disbelieve literal claims about the known Universe when science very clearly shows it's not factual.

It is foolish to claim there exists no god, or anything else supernatural, as we cannot address those things scientifically.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   

I agree with a lot of what you said except the sex part. Having babies is not creating life. Sounded a little bit flippant to me.

The other things you mentioned I can agree with mostly. We had to have a Creator, though, in the first place, and God is light, and there is light in all of us, and we are created in God's image. We have free choice with what to do with our lives, some pursue darkness, some go after the light.

(I think maybe this thread is straying a little)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   

I didn't mean to come off as flippant, apologies, but a baby being conceived is life being created. We are integral in that process. Without the mother's womb, the baby would have nothing to develop within. Us having sex with the intention of creating a baby (or even without that intention) is the catalyst for life being created.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Sorry I hadn't seen your edits before I posted.

The creation, as told in the Bible, doesn't agree with what would rationally happen if you buy into the Big Bang theory

Forget about that for a moment. I didn't even mention the Big Bang explicitly [implicitly with mention of Cosmology].

Instead what about the notion of growing fruit-bearing trees in freezing temperatures like nothing either of us have ever experienced. Zero sunlight. That stuff plants crave. None of it. It's interesting that Genesis specifically says that they were producing fruit. It takes some fruit trees when grown from seed up to 10+ years before they produce fruit. So forget the Big Bang Theory. Just try and wrap your mind around how fruit trees are growing to maturation in freezing temperatures for years and with no sunlight... because I cannot..

I mean if you want to say it was essentially magic from an omnipotent god, then fine. Let's just call it like it is then. Magic. However, can you really call me foolish for not believing in magic?

The other way around this of course is to say Genesis isn't literal truth. It was always meant metaphorically. In which I would ask if you could explain which parts are literal in the Bible.

the Big Bang theory, which is only a theory!

No. It's not only a theory. You are using 'theory' in its colloquial use and not what theory means in science. These are very different beasts.

I think maybe this thread is straying a little

Perhaps. Perhaps it isn't. You seem to be ignoring what couldn't be more illogical and rationalizing it in obscure ways. That to me looks a lot like blind faith. I welcome you to show me how I am wrong there.
edit on 16-2-2015 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

It could be called blind faith, as the definition of it is "a belief in something even when there is evidence to the contrary". Simple faith would be believing something without any evidence.

However, there is no evidence to the contrary of there being a God of the universe. In some people's mind, because of being programmed by school textbooks and the powers that be, God doesn't exist. Electricity didn't
'exist", radio waves didn't exist, until they were discovered by man. How many other things don't "exist" yet, because we haven't discovered them?

Blind faith is believing in the evolution of man, when there is plenty of evidence to the contrary. I am not an expert, just a layman. Not here to prove or disprove anything.
About the fruit trees in creation. You're going by texts that are thousands of years old, translated as best they could be, comparing ancient language to the language of today. Relying on the exact translation of a text transcribed by man, to prove or disprove a theory, narrowing it down to fruit trees, is a little over the top. There are endless possibilities open for conjecture, just as quantum theory has endless possibilities.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   

I always defined blind faith as a belief in something despite any evidence, despite whether it's positive or negative, supportive of or contrary to.
edit on 16-2-2015 by Eunuchorn because: (no reason given)

Which, in my opinion, is applicable to any & all beliefs someone would choose to cling to.

My life motto:
Accept everything, believe nothing.
edit on 16-2-2015 by Eunuchorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Before i was christian i had no idea about things like religion or took much notice, then something so profound happened to me. I started to see things things no one should see weather we call them demons or whatever i was terrified this was the first night, i could smell such a horrid smell and could not work out where i have smelled it before but came to realise it was sulpher ,to cut a long very long story short i saw something of a spiritual nature. Its 7 years later and i have looked and searched for answers through new age stuff of all sorts and had no luck in understanding what happened. So i turned to christianity and guess what it gave me all the answers.
is that blind faith.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join