It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Chest pains while lying down

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 06:17 PM

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: sosobad

I breezed through the page. I didn't see your age... unless I missed it.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 06:20 PM
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

If it is from overworking the bag I'd be happy with it. That I could live with. The pain doesn't feel on the surface so to speak. Just waiting for the xrays now, won't hear till Monday at the earliest.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 06:23 PM
I would ask a doctor to do full blood checkout including checking for magnesium deficiency. They are starting to realize that magnesium deficiency causes heart desease moreso than cholesterol.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 06:26 PM

originally posted by: sosobad
a reply to: diggindirt

No haven't had surgery in over 15 years and that was to get my tonsils out. Did you eventually get relief from it?

Yes, eventually the pains lessened and became less frequent. However, the docs told me that I might always suffer from residual pain and indeed, it still pops up from time to time but really very seldom these days. My surgery was over 30 years ago and I experienced the most problems in the ten years that followed.
Just a thought but have you had your gall bladder checked? A relative of mine once thought she was having a heart attack due to chest pains but it turned out to gall bladder problems. Just guessing here....

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 06:30 PM
Thank you.
If the x-ray doesn't reveal anything, it may be a soft tissue problem. Hiatal hernia or a ruptured thoracic disc are possible causes.
Ask for an MRI.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 06:38 PM
The things is, because all the Organs are tied together, as well as the whole Nervous System, it's gonna be difficult to decipher without medical training.

The gall bladder was mentioned...
An MRI was mentioned...

& I was gonna say maybe ask for an EMG to test for nerve damage, because I am not sure if an X-Ray can do that.

Good luck buddy, I'm sure you'll be fine.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 06:43 PM

Check this out - does this help? I have severe chest pains (but not in arm as you've outlined) and if I take a super deep breath it helps. Trying to find what it is, but a lot of people suffer from this and taking the deep breath seems to "pop" the pain. Will keep looking.
Costochondritis is the medical term for inflammation of the cartilage that joins your ribs to your breastbone (sternum).

Cartilage is tough but flexible connective tissue found throughout the body, including in the joints between bones. It acts as a shock absorber, cushioning the joints.

The area of cartilage joining your ribs to your breastbone is known as the costochondral joint.
edit on 13/2/15 by ccseagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 06:51 PM

Here we go, this is what I was thinking your problem might be. Seems to be my problem. But as much as the deep breath hurts do it and see if that makes a difference. It goes against your nature, that you will cause more pain, an attack but it does help if this is what it is. Good luck!!
What is it?

It’s called Precordial Catch Syndrome ( or PCS for short) and it’s the most common cause of recurring chest pain. Luckily, it’s benign and most people have experienced it at one time or another in their life.

The Intercostal Muscle

Doctors don’t really know what causes it however, but they believe it to be either related to a pinched nerve or from an intercostal muscle spasm and after release of spasm the pain relieved.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 07:25 PM

Acute pericarditis usually lasts less than a few weeks. Chronic recurrent pericarditis has two types, including the incessant type which occurs within six weeks of weaning medical treatment for an acute episode, and the intermittent type which occurs after six weeks.

If you have acute pericarditis, the most common symptom is sharp, stabbing chest pain behind the breastbone or in the left side of your chest. However, some people with acute pericarditis describe their chest pain as dull, achy or pressure-like instead, and of varying intensity.

The pain of acute pericarditis may travel into your left shoulder and neck. It often intensifies when you cough, lie down or inhale deeply. Sitting up and leaning forward can often ease the pain. At times, it may be difficult to distinguish pericardial pain from the pain that occurs with a heart attack.

Chronic pericarditis is usually associated with chronic inflammation and may result in fluid around the heart (pericardial effusion). The most common symptom of chronic pericarditis is chest pain.

Depending on the type, signs and symptoms of pericarditis may include some or all of the following:

Sharp, piercing chest pain over the center or left side of the chest
Shortness of breath when reclining
Heart palpitations
Low-grade fever
An overall sense of weakness, fatigue or feeling sick
Abdominal or leg swelling

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 07:41 PM
do you smoke? i use to be a much heavier smoker then i am now (evil nicotine) and i would always cough more when laying on my back and right side,often acompanied by light pain just throwing it out there but i am far from a doctor

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 07:55 PM
***Sorry didn't read before posting.

How old are you?

Do you smoke?

have you smoked a lot of anything or little in the past?

What is your height and weight?

Do you live next to a highway or industrial sector?

Are you surrounded by friends or family (physically) at least once a week?
You mentioned that you boxe, alone or with others?

Do you engage in any physical activity at all? What then?
You mentioned that you boxe, alone or with others?

What do you eat?
You said you eat rather well and keep in good shape

Are you stressed a lot?

Have your experienced something traumatizing in the past ten years?

edit on 13-2-2015 by bitsforbytes because: didn't read before posting.....don't act like you never did it...

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 08:03 PM

Check and see if your retaining fluid? Are you peeing regularly and easily? An easy test is to wear socks all day then take them off and check your ankles/shins where the top of the socks were. If you find a band of fluid ( which is easily visible ) you are retaining water.

Second thing is you should never lay on your left side if your having any kind of cardiac issues, right side only and that should help your breathing.

Just two things I can think of at this moment and by no means are they professional medical advice.
You might want to ask for a Cardiogram to have your functions checked out.

I wish you all the best my friend,
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 08:06 PM

Could be acid reflex. I had chest pains a year ago and thought I was having a heart attack. Went to the hospital and had an EKG and stress test, everything was fine. The guy next to me was also in for what he thought was a heart attack and they found out it was acid reflex.

If you're having trouble swallowing at times, you may want to have an upper GI test.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 08:09 PM
That sounds like the hiatal hernia I have, same place. It was very painful for many years.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 08:11 PM
I have chest pain, but mine comes from a bone spur in my neck that pinches the nerves. It sucks because it's freaky but I have no reason to have cardio-vascular disease and I've received a clean bill of health. If it's not the chest, it's in the shoulder or it's in the arm. But none of it is cardiac.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 08:26 PM

Pain like that sux i hope you get some is possible smoking has given you a partial lung collapse....and like others have pointed out a pinched nerve can cause similar pain...

best advice i can offer is find a new doctor that looks like he wants to help and not shove his brand of pills down your throat....other than that take the damn mask off before you lay down

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 09:51 PM
a reply to: WeRpeons

Hiatal hernia / acid reflux is a good guess - one of the things that can happen with reflux / GERD is when you lie down, the refluxed stomach acid is aspirated into the lungs, can cause shortness of breath, pain in the esophagus and lungs, and can cause sleep apnea as well. For some reason, there doesn't seem to be much awareness of these complications, but I've talked with a lot of people who had complications from reflux most doctors seem unaware of.

In my case, the acid in my lungs changed my breathing patterns, which messed with my blood chemistry, and I began to have panic attacks on top of the chest pains, sleep apnea, and asthma. "Breathing" is an amazingly complex process, and disturbances in it can have profound affects.

It took awhile to understand it was as simple as a hernia, leading to severe reflux - to the OP (and remember, I'm not a doctor - so, take it with a grain of salt, always check with a physician for "real" advice) I'd suggest the following:

-- a quick (two-week) course of omeprazole, (OTC dosage is 20 mg - if it were me, I'd try 40 mg / day - that is, one 20 mg in the morning, one in the evening - for two weeks) - PPI's take a good 24 hours to *begin* to work, and you should notice modest improvements in about 3 or 4 days in your other symptoms, if it's reflux.

-- Also, try sleeping propped up, with your upper-body/head raised with pillows (some people put blocks of wood under the headboard.)

-- Drink carbonated water, like seltzer water, rather than plain water, soda, or coffee/tea - avoid caffeine and alcohol. Try to eat small meals, 5x a day, and avoid fats.

If the problem hasn't improved *significantly* in that two-week course, then it's probably something else.

If it does improve, you'll probably want to see a gastroenterologist who can check you for h. pylori (which causes ulcers and can be treated with a combination of antibiotics and Zantac) and Barrett's esophagus, a condition that puts you at elevated risk for esophageal cancer, and can be brought on by prolonged reflux. And there are simple surgeries now to correct hernias. Here's the thing, people don't understand how dangerous and debilitating reflux can be - "Oh, it's just heartburn." It can be way more serious than that.

Um, and I hate to bring this up on a public forum - but check your stool - if it's very dark, you may be bleeding internally from an ulcer.

As to the apparent sleep apnea symptoms (stopping breathing and fatigue) - that's s a dangerous symptom - I know someone who died from that. Really need to have a sleep study done. I experienced it with my untreated reflux, and if this is all reflux, and it goes away, great - but take it very seriously - I repeat, it can kill you.

Best of luck to the OP.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 12:33 AM

a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

To be honest Charlie I know myself it is not stress. It can't be so that's what has me worried. I smoke myself which is something I should have put in the op. Cheers for the wishes

Get a e-cigarette
save your life. Even if this is nothing, it hopefully is the call to drop the butts.

I smoked nearly 2 packs a day..took Chantix for a couple months, quit smokes at the end and swapped to e-cig..haven't looked back..barely using any nic now and feeling better overall.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 01:56 AM
Thank you all for the replies and wishes. I am sorry I didn't get back sooner, completely passed out last night. Will respond to your posts shortly

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 02:02 AM

Hello all, I gave been suffering with pains in my chest ( left side) for the last year or so, they are worse while lying down and radiate to my left shoulder and arm. I often get short of breath while lying down too and my fiancé tells me it is like I stop breathing in my sleep. I am currently getting the pains as I write this.

They come on very sharp and seem to be getting worse these days, my whole body seizes sometimes. I went to a my old doctor 8 months ago about this and she told me it was stress. I returned to her twice again and she said the same, no tests. I am with a new doctor now and he fine an ECG which showed up fine and sent me for a chest xray. The results should have been back by yesterday but still no sign. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I know myself it is not stress and I am getting a little worried.

Keep on at your doctor.
Change again if necessary but ensure they realise how uncomfortable and worrying it is for you.

Remember, this is a conspiracy forum and not a place to get medical advice from.

new topics

<< 1    3 >>