It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP Assault on Social Security Could be 'Death Sentence' for Nation's Disabled

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
It's like the GOP doesn't even want to win elections by supplying the Democrats with such fantastic political ammunition.

Old people vote!!! And they vote in their own self interest; even bringing up cutting SS or medicare is a recipe for disaster for the Republicans. You would think they would have learned this by now....guess not.

I know SS isn't perfect but I would much rather pay into that system than subsidies and tax benefits for corporations already making obscene profits on the backs of the American tax payers.

& Don't get me started on WAR profiteers and their corruption and greed.

A country that doesn't respect and take care of their elderly and disabled citizens, is not one I want to live in.
edit on 13-2-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Has the Donkey Party issued any proposals/legislation to solve the problems?

What is Obama's plan?

Lots of crying here with no kleenex.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

What is Obama's plan?

IDK where those questions come from but if the GOP had their way the disabled wouldn't even get kleenex. It's a "regressive" policy. "Let them eat cake."

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

What is Obama's plan?

IDK where those questions come from but if the GOP had their way the disabled wouldn't even get kleenex. It's a "regressive" policy. "Let them eat cake."

Yep. The funny thing is, the GOP is so very Christian and Christians are supposed to show extreme charity. Maximum charity.

I just don't see how anyone can call themselves Christian if they drink the GOP Kool-aid.

đź‘Ł

edit on 010FridayuAmerica/ChicagoFebuFridayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
They need Bush in office again it seems.

in 2000 when george bush took office welfare spending was $178.billions
in 2009 when george bush left office welfare sdpending was $415 billion
in 2009 when obama took office welfare spending was 415 billion
in 2012 under obama welfare spending is $456 billion
bush increased it by $236 billion
obama increased it by $41 billion

Bush is still the welfare president king by beating obama by $196 billion a year

is Obama on track?

and God forbid we see 4.4% unemployment like we had in 2006 before the Donkey Party took Congress by storm.

and don't forget the people who quit paying their mortgages caused the financial collapse.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

"and don't forget the people who quit paying their mortgages caused the financial collapse. "
OMG, do you really believe that?!!! You have lost all credibility if you really believe that. They quit paying when they lost their jobs. Where were you back then? Awake, sober?

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

What took you so long? Xuenchen lost credibility with me long ago.

đź‘Ł

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

AGAIN your point is lost on me. You are comparing 9 years to less than 3. And who said anything about welfare? We're talking disability here.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueMule

the GOP is so very Christian

That right there is the biggest Ponzi scheme for votes short of the upcoming free-for-all of opening up our borders for votes!

What God do they believe in?

Sorry, but the two party system has evolved to where it's opposite polarities fit right in with the division they are creating to keep their power!

But I guess pointing fingers is what we have been conditioned to do right?

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I'm not seeing any proposals to actually cut disability.

It must just be loose talk.

Where exactly is the funding problem?

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Why do people complicate the simple?

The GOP are just people steeped in selfishness and some mental illness that some poor people or disabled veteran will take them for a few dollars.

If you want to cut down on fraud just hire more people to inspect the recipients don’t just cut the budget to starve the program.

All you'll starve is human beings

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Sounds kinda familiar from a few summers ago when they were rallying on cutting these funds. If that is all they can stick to, to pretend that they are somehow different from their other side of the corrupt coin: GOP is going to be their own death sentence.

originally posted by: Edumakated
a reply to: FyreByrd

The sky is falling. The sky is falling. God forbid anyone actually try to stamp out the fraud and waste in social programs.

Yes because the cuts would really stamp out fraud, instead of affect the people who really need help.

edit on 13-2-2015 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   

I'm not seeing any proposals to actually cut disability.

It must just be loose talk.

Where exactly is the funding problem?

Check the OP. I'm sure we are all sorry that it didn't come from Breitbart but not all news can.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   

No links to actual proposals that I can find.

Time to vote the Republicans out.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Apologies..Blush. that was Medicare not SS funds...my bad. My Medicare coverage sucks...LOL.

Still, it has some similarities, I suppose. Raiding Peter to pay Paul.

The States pick up some of the slack as well, as they should.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   

No links to actual proposals that I can find.

Republicans oppose the practice of shifting funds. On the first day of the new GOP-controlled Congress, the U.S. House passed a measure making it more difficult to move funds between separate accounts maintained by the Social Security Administration.

But failure to allow the reshuffling would "lay the groundwork for a 19 percent cut in disability benefits," according to a report (pdf) issued Tuesday by Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.). "That’s a horribly devastating cut for individuals—most of whom are in their 50's and in poor health—to absorb beginning next year. In fact, since most disability recipients receive barely $1,200 a month, a cut of nearly 20 percent could mean the difference between affording food, medicine, clothing or paying bills. It is an unspeakable option and one that we are determined to prevent."

Time to vote the Republicans out.

I agree. They are their own worst enemy. Stop the regressive crap and realize we are in the 21st century.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   

All I'm seeing is hyperbole.

Nothing anywhere indicates any cuts to disability or social security.

A bunch of "what if" and "could be" hysteria.

The system seems to be working just fine.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   

All I'm seeing is hyperbole.

Nothing anywhere indicates any cuts to disability or social security.

A bunch of "what if" and "could be" hysteria.

The system seems to be working just fine.

WOW! That sounds familiar.

Could these questions be based off of past experience? Does THAT sound familiar?

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: jacobe001

Makes me wonder if a "For The People" lobby could be created to speak up for our interests since only a minority of elected folks in DC are willing to do it.

I think lobbyists will advocate anyone's cause for money (some have morals believe it or not!!). So why not create a platform of ideals and then spread it out to the millions of people on disability, who have a loved one on disability, who want the country to stop killing the safety net, who want safe bridges and new technology put into our infrastructure, etc. Why not?

I'm asking because I don't really know how all of that works. Form a PAC? I don't know... If someone does, please go for it. If you market it correctly the support would be astounding, methinks... Or not???

Just thinking out loud here...

peace,
AB

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   
If the government no longer wants to be in the business of managing a retirement and disability plan then they should shut it down and give everyone all the money back that they paid into it (including the money that was stolen and used for other things) and stop collecting social security taxes from people`s pay checks.
That would be the honest and honorable thing to do but of course the government would never do that, they would prefer to keep collecting the social security tax,keep all the money that has been paid, cut back everyones disability and retirement checks.

Social security is solvent until 2033 so why do they want to cut benefits now?

The combined Social Security and Disability programs are projected to remain solvent—that is, they are expected to have enough revenue from payroll taxes, interest on the trust fund balance, and repayment of borrowed trust fund dollars to pay out scheduled benefits—through 2033.[3] This is the same date as projected in last year’s report.

www.heritage.org...

If they cut benefits now will they also be reducing the social security payroll tax?

I don`t understand what`s in it for them, they never do anything unless it will benefit them in some way, how will cutting benefits, and making social security solvent for a few more years past 2033, put money in their pockets?
surely they aren`t doing this just to make social security solvent for a few more years.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join