It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America, Trapped In Cultural Adolescence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I believe America is experiencing cultural adolescence. We are acting like teenagers. We are focused and obsessed with selfish and rampant materialism and greed and spend our money frivolously without regard for our future. We don't invest enough into our future and live totally in the moment seeking out instant gratification at all costs. We don't care what happens to our friends and family members as long as were happy. We don't take our relationships with our spouses seriously and the prospect of having and raising children in stable loving environments. Most people will walk by someone bleeding and dieing on the ground hoping that someone else will take responsibility for helping this person stay alive, and we start wars over women and resources. I think we have forgotten the true meaning of life and of art and happiness.

I think its time we take our culture into adulthood and start thinking about our actions and taking total responsibility for whats happening to this world and pull our heads out of our asses.
edit on 2/13/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/13/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Well if we are a country "Trapped In Cultural Adolescence" as you put it, explain to me how in 239 years we have gone from 13 rag-tag colonies that were fighting for our independence to the most power nation militarily, economically, and culturally in the history of the world (these are historical facts). Yes we do waste a lot of time on frivolously crap. And because of that we invented things like the internet, cell phones and countless other frivolously inventions as you put. And right now I can agree with you that we are losing our way. This is due to the piss poor leadership coming from our political leaders (both Republican (the Establishment wing of the party) and Democrats).

But this remember this Country "Trapped In Cultural Adolescence" has spread its culture and done more for others than any nation in the history of mankind, yes we've made our share of mistakes as all nations in history have. Yet whenever there is a natural disaster we are there lending a hand, how many nations before us did that?

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBRiddle
Well if we are a country "Trapped In Cultural Adolescence" as you put it, explain to me how in 239 years we have gone from 13 rag-tag colonies that were fighting for our independence to the most power nation militarily, economically, and culturally in the history of the world (these are historical facts). Yes we do waste a lot of time on frivolously crap. And because of that we invented things like the internet, cell phones and countless other frivolously inventions as you put. And right now I can agree with you that we are losing our way. This is due to the piss poor leadership coming from our political leaders (both Republican (the Establishment wing of the party) and Democrats).

But this remember this Country "Trapped In Cultural Adolescence" has spread its culture and done more for others than any nation in the history of mankind, yes we've made our share of mistakes as all nations in history have. Yet whenever there is a natural disaster we are there lending a hand, how many nations before us did that?

You are indeed correct. We have leaped in technological advances, but I do believe you are not understanding correctly, America is touting around like a teenager trying to be the biggest and the baddest. We do not have our priorities straight. And even though we have spread culture throughout. And yes we have did a lot of public service as well, which was covering even bigger smokescreen operations in the background. The past 15-30 years have ruined this country. We have indeed reverted BACK to adolescence if anything. I guess you could say that America is going to Benjamin Button itself out of existence.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
We were once a proud people and nation and used to be responsible and adult. We took care of each other and ourselves.

We have become a nation of adolescents, encouraged to never grow up. The question is when did this shift happen and where did it start to take place? When you answer those questions, you'll know for what purpose many of our fellows have been kept stunted.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: JBRiddle

the most power nation culturally in the history of world

How do you make that out ?

And because of that we invented things

So have many other countries. And some have invented more than The U.S.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
It isn't Americans or even their Government that is causing the problems around the world. It is that the American Government has been co-opted by corporations and other personal interests at the expense of the people of the US and the world.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

We can't blame corporations and government for our problems anymore.

It's time for us to realize that we are the system.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

What are you talking about? Every country is like that because humans are selfish and lazy creatures. Did you know that as China's middle class grows, its obesity rate is climbing?

America isn't special, this is just the way we (humans) act and you are only looking at the American side of the picture. The grass isn't greener on any side.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

I was just thinking the same thing earlier this morning. I was also comparing the US to Europe, and how the Europeans have had a bit longer to figure things out. We here in America would like to think we are superior in every way to everyone else on the face of the planet, but I think there are some important ideas we can learn from Europe in regards to the government's role in our daily lives.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

We can't blame corporations and government for our problems anymore.

It's time for us to realize that we are the system.

I don't agree that I am responsible for things that I didn't start and for things I cannot control.
edit on 2015/2/13 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Interesting read. Thanks onequestion.

S&F

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   

You and I and many here may not be the system, but we are a tiny number of voices screaming in the wilderness. For you and me and one other person on this thread, I once ate lunch on my own and was treated to the overly loud lunch convo of a trio of young professionals who spent their entire lunch dissecting the latest episode of Jersey Shore. How many more of those young professionals are there? How consumed are their lives with matters like who Snooky and J-Woww hooked up with after tittering over where they happened to puke upon completing a wild night of binge drinking?

You really think we outnumber them enough to matter much?

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

There are important things we can learn from every other country on this planet that have a longer and more established culture than we do. There are also things we can learn from our elders here in this country. They also have been here longer and have established more of a life than younger generations. Do you see the majority of people here in the states do that though? Not a chance. Not as long as egos rule the day.

Sure sounds like adolescent behaviour to me. We know everything, we're the best at everything and we have more enemies than anyone else.

edit on 13-2-2015 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Yes.We should-as Americans-aspire to be mature like the "leadership" and "maturity" demonstrated by countries like North Korea,Cuba,etc..

lol!
edit on 13-2-2015 by FalcoFan because: thread subject had me laughing too hard not to make mistakes while posting.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Here you go with the stereotyping again.

The "We" you keep refering to has no regard for the individual who doesn't fit your premise.

Please stop it, it's ignorant.

Flame me if you must, but I'm damn sure not all Americans are as clear cut negative as you say.

Cheers

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I have a question, and I am not trying to be flippant at all, but can anyone show me a country in history that did not act just like America when they were the most powerful nation on the planet?

I only ask because I have this gut feeling that every comment I have ever heard about America has been said in the past about whatever country that used to have the "top spot"
edit on 13-2-2015 by Punisher75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I still walk four miles one way and enjoy playing with my rock and stick.
That rock and stick have been handed down through generations in my family.
It's a good rock. It's a good stick.

Daresay I don't right understand these kids and their fancy newfangled thingywhatsis doodads...seems a powerful waste of good money to me.

I'd rather a pantry full of canned goods than one o' them data plans.

edit on 2/13/15 by GENERAL EYES because: formatting

join