It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am not an atheist by choice

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

The word you're looking for is faith.

I have faith in God. He's there.

I understand why you would prefer to use the term belief. It's weaker than faith.

However, there seem to be quite a few atheists here and elsewhere who fall on the opposite end of my spectrum making comments such as "Why believe in a myth?" Are they all dishonest in their faith in no God?

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abednego
You are not an atheist. But you do have a problem with Christianity (that's the only religion you had practice so far, I guess), I advise to search for other religion.
A friend of mine use to be an atheist, then he had a spiritual awakening that make him realize that God exist.

I have similar story.

If she has concluded that God does not exist, she is an atheist. At least allow people to define themselves. Spiritual awakening. LOL.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. You're an atheist. Fine. What's the problem?

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueMule

I hear there is a branch of Santo Daime in Japan. If so you might be able to undergo an ayahuasca ceremony there.

Entheogens can cure atheism if you give them a chance. But really, there are many means of achieving altered states of mystical consciousness. If you really want to challenge your atheism, you'll pick one or more and use it in the right way and see what happens. It was Sam Harris who said if you want to test the empirical claims of contemplatives, you have to practice a contemplative discipline. He calls it "building your own telescope".

To build or not to build. That is your choice.

👣

Why would this person want to "cure" atheism? Atheism is a position and nothing more. If you want this person to believe that God exists, cite testable evidence proving that God exists. From your perspective, the problem would be solved. Why don't you do that?

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
a reply to: BlueMule

Should I be seeking to "cure" my atheism though? I've finally begun to understand that there is nothing really WRONG with me as it is, but is there?

Atheism is a pattern of thought that is generally not conducive to psychic and spiritual development. Without that kind of development you won't reach your full potential. So it's holding you back. But I'm an easy going guy so I'm open to alternatives to the word cure.

👣

Atheism isn't a pattern of anything. IT is the position that God/gods do not exist. Period.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

a reply to: SlapMonkey

Wow, it makes me feel a lot better to know I'm not the only one without the "faith organ". Thanks for sharing your story, really hit home.

You do have faith in something or you wouldn't get up in the morning. Maybe it's faith in yourself or your family. Maybe it's faith in money or service. Maybe it's just faith that one breath with follow the next.

Rubbish. You don't need faith to get up in the morning.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   

a reply to: VegHead

Thank you very much for your kind words. I wish I had known someone like you when I was growing up, I would have been saved quite a lot of nights crying myself to sleep.

Is your fundamental problem one of not fitting in with the group?

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
I'm with you. Fortunately, I wasn't in a fundamental environment. However, I was in a middle income, all white, Christian environment of the 50s. There was stigma because my parents were divorced.

I'm lucky in that I was raised in a spiritual positive thought type thinking. But, also Christianity.

I wanted to believe. I wanted to be a minister. But, research made that impossible ---- as nothing made any sense. It's all made up.

I compare the Jesus story to the Johnny Appleseed story. But, John Chapman's factual life is well documented. It's easy to see the embellishment and distortion.

I was 60 when I finally stepped completely out of the "God circle", admitting I am atheist. Can't say I didn't give it time.

Let's not forget that John Chapman (the real Johnny Appleseed) traveled around planting apple trees to produce apples for hard cider. He did not plant trees that produced eating apples. In other words, he was encouraging people to get drunk. I think the comparison with Jesus is apt (except that there's no evidence that Jesus actually existed). The Jesus story is used to convince people to alter their sense of reality and become addicted to religion rather than hard cider.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine

Should I be seeking to "cure" my atheism though? I've finally begun to understand that there is nothing really WRONG with me as it is, but is there?

Atheism is a pattern of thought that is generally not conducive to psychic and spiritual development. Without that kind of development you won't reach your full potential. So it's holding you back. But I'm an easy going guy so I'm open to alternatives to the word cure.

👣

Atheism isn't a pattern of anything. IT is the position that God/gods do not exist. Period.

Gee, thanks for so forcefully sharing your simplistic definition. I had never ever heard it before anywhere. 😆

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

is ego death the same thing as not having the presence of mind to question what your told?

Well said (or well asked).

(post by BlueMule removed for a manners violation)

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   

If in the beginning there was nothing, there would always be nothing. Something had to stir all of this into motion.

I'm not a religious person or a person of great faith, but I believe in what I wrote above. I just don't understand what it is that made all of this possible, or why. My interpretation is that most religions are an attempt to answer what that something is using conventional wisdom and some exaggerations, and in my estimation have missed the mark.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

I dont think Ive missed the point, in fact, I think the opposite is true. The OP seems to be implying that you are either capable of faith or you are not. That is not true. If you can think, then you can have faith.....

Faith is belief in the absence of testable evidence. In other words, no critical reasoning (ie. thinking) is involved in having faith. Having faith is the opposite of thinking.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Praying does nothing for those who are ill? That statement sounds like it's based on ideology, not empiricism. Are you not aware of distance healing experiments using fMRI? Among other things?

👣

Are you not aware that those studies were debunked?

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I've never been in a situation where I was desperate enough in my adult life to call out to God for help.

You have never been in a locked room for an extended period of time with me before.
Don't give me such lurid fantasies! I would certainly be saying "Oh God" a lot, though. ^_~

Get a room!

On another note. Same here. Raised to go to church. Bible school on Sundays. Youth groups and camps. But once I turned 15, I just decided it was wasting my time. It felt repetive to keep going and hearing the same speaches every week.
My parents were a bit upset. But they loved and respected me enough to let me make my own decisions.
So I spent years feeling free and clear minded. So I was an athiest. But I still was a very caring individual. Always putting others ahead of me.

Around the age of 30, I started thinking about it again. This was also the same time I got severely ill. ( first bout with cancer. And the god gene was brought up then ) spent my whole Career dealing with the sick or dying. And you put it exactly how I felt. Fear of death.... the non existence, darkness for me.

I've always relied on the science of medicine. I can see it, touch it... and generally reproduce the effects in the proper environment.

But as I kept getting older. I felt like I could see death creeping towards me. And my back is up against a wall. And that wall was also creeping forward.

At 35 I started embracing the possibilities of an after life. I didn't prescribe to any religion. But the acknowledgement in my feelings there is more. I'm 40 now, turning 41 in 12 days ( blechhh! ). But I'm OK with it. So I'm more of an agnostic. It's not a back up plan. Just a feeling. I can't see it. But I can sense it.

Also I grew up in Reno NV near a reservation. A friend invited me to join them in a ceremony that involves Peyote. It was not a good trip for me. I was expecting my ancestors, what I got was I thought a 2 hour conversation with Lady Bugs that turned into a lady Praying Mantis. So yeah.. there was that one time.

Add. You're not a bad person if you don't believe. Not even close. Just be happy that you're a part of life. It's huge!
edit on 13-2-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: chr0naut

To be truly atheist, you would have to know there was no god. What you are, I suspect from you post, is more accurately called 'agnostic', which means that you don't know if there is a god or isn't.

That is incorrect. No honest atheist would claim there is no God. Only that they lack belief there is a god.

Atheist means lack of belief in a god.

Agnostic means God can not be proven or disproven.

Basically everyone is agnostic. Theist -- Atheist only indicates which way you lean.

I'm not agnostic. I've met Him (Jesus, who says He's God & I believe Him). Spoke with Him a couple of hours ago, actually.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

I don't think I can "Choose" to have faith any more than someone can "choose" to be gay.

Trust me, I want to believe. I truly do, but I have found that I cannot.

Just like faith, homosexuallity is a choice. There may be genetic factors that contribute to the temptations of homosexual trends, but ultimately homosexuality is choice. The reason it that it does not seem like a choice is because each time you yield to temptation, you make it harder to resist temptation, but where there is temptation, there is a choice to yield to it or resist.

The same can be said about faith. You may want to believe, but you are tempted to doubt, BUT you can still resist that temptation and believe anyways.

What exactly is it that you desire to believe? That God is real? That Jesus died for our sins? That Buddha or Allah is God?

More often than not, many are tempted to doubt because they believe the Flood scenario or the miricles are ridiculous...but I can testify that science defying miracles do happen, and the scientific "inconsistencies" you find in the bible are actually very consistent with the true laws of nature.

But first, you must resist the temptation to doubt, and take the first leap of faith, and the rest of the picture will be revealed to you when God is ready for it.

Jesus said, 'more blessed are those who have not seen, yet still believe'.

edit on 13-2-2015 by BELIEVERpriest because: typo

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
As a child we practically lived at church. We spent birthdays, reunions, holidays, every Sunday at church. My father was a Sunday school teacher for the young kids. Everyone there was head first into the belief. I never believed. I was young, probably 6 or 7 when I decided that while I'm at church I'll pretend to believe to be a part of the group. However as I got older my parents divorced, my life turned into a horrible mess, and during all the times of sadness and depression...it was the people I met and the words from my mother saying "everything will be alright" that lifted me up from my hole. We didn't pray, we didn't go to church, and my life ended up getting better. I've never contributed good fortune to "praying" as I hate the idea that people can pray and believe "God" actually cares about them more than people who are starving or dying.

It wasn't until I hit my teenage years and got to experience the vast landscape of knowledge the internet delivered. For months on end I would sit and learn and research all of the questions I had, and each new bit of info I learned would develop into new questions, furthering my research. I fell in love with the idea of life, the universe, theories, science, theoretical science...etc. The people who claim to be atheists that went back to Christianity is a joke to me. Choose your words differently. You were never a true atheist, just another scared human who quickly picked up that security blanket. I have no fear of death, no worry of an after life. When I feel down, I think about all the people who have it worse than me, and how "God" of any religion could care less about saving these people. And by "saving" I don't mean forcing them to live absolutely terrible lives to make it to a fluffy cloud paradise.

I've been put down for my anti-belief, called a terrible father for not taking my daughter to church. I've had bibles mailed to me, gifted to me, and words of "advice" on how to find "God". It's a joke to people. A taboo. A fad that will eventually fade away. It isn't. But do you know what I gained MOST from refusing to believe in an old text full of fallacies? Knowledge. I'm smart. I'm not a genius by a long shot, but smarter than when I went through high school, and college. I learned things on my OWN time. I feel I'm better equipped to raise my daughter intellectually than my parents and family who believed spending your life at church was the right thing to do. I thrive on the looks I get. On the words used against me. The threats of being sent to "hell". I'm strong. I'm independent. I rely on my brain to fight my way through life. No amount of religion can help solve a math problem, or work your way around terrible customer service, or answer questions to real life scenarios. It doesn't teach you money management, how to get a grip on reality, how to deal with the good and bad sides of people. Religion has it's good points, but it isn't needed to live a fulfilling life.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

What say you, ATS?

Faith is a gift of God, it's not of ourselves.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   

The same thing goes for Ayahuasca, it all depends on the soul/body involved.

As for my particular journeys, I found that I can sustain the effect endlessly out of body , or in, but the people around me cannot handle it lol.

I am able to actually direct myself inside of these, and fight the will of the shamans and everyone else around me, and I found DEEPER truths, and they all are hiding behind things the AVATARS are afraid to look behind.

This Universe sadly is not "Genuine Original" and was created by other beings who have come FAR AFTER what you would term as GOD.

How many more attempts at this are they going to get ?? I would say time is about up, they will NOT be recreating the creator no matter how bad they try.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join