It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am not an atheist by choice

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Im sorry to hear that your family and friends reacted in such a way, but faith is by choice. If you try to atain it by works, then you are substituting faith with works.

If you have a desire to believe, then what stops you? Simply believe that Jesus paid the debt of our sins, and you are saved.

Do you have trouble believing that Jesus existed? Do you have trouble believing that God exists? Ask God for the answers, and realize that those answers may not be what you want to believe.
That's the thing, I cannot physically CHOOSE to believe. I can pray my little Railgun heart out, but I don't FEEL what others have described as faith. I've read the passages, I've sang the songs, I've had the baptisms, and it was all just motions for me. I can't CHOOSE to believe God is real. I'd be lying to myself and everyone around me if I said I did believe, and I don't believe in being dishonest.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Wow, it makes me feel a lot better to know I'm not the only one without the "faith organ". Thanks for sharing your story, really hit home.

You do have faith in something or you wouldn't get up in the morning. Maybe it's faith in yourself or your family. Maybe it's faith in money or service. Maybe it's just faith that one breath with follow the next.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

I disagree fervently with your statement "Atheism is a pattern of thought that is generally not conducive to psychic and spiritual development" and buddhists around the world would laugh at such an idea.

Laugh? I doubt it. Buddhists around the world believe in gods and goddesses. Buddhists around the world practice mystical disciplines that develop their psychic faculties and spirituality. And so I doubt that their patterns of thought have much in common with the patterns of people who first and foremost identify themselves as atheists.

👣

edit on 836Friday000000America/ChicagoFeb000000FridayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Thank you for sharing your story . You expressed yourself so beautifully and I am sure there are many who can relate.

I'm a Christian. I followed a similar struggle with faith from childhood to baptism at 14 through my graduate school years when I earned a science degree in a highly anti-religion environment. I too assumed my faith would grow as I got older, but instead it seemed as if only my doubt grew. It was a constant struggle. I didn't know where I stood most of the time.

My faith finally blossomed when I discovered the discipline of christian apologetics. I learned that faith, science, and reason didn't have to be opposing. If you are interested, check out the book On Guard by William Lane Craig. He has a vast apologetics ministry called "Reasonable Faith" - Google if you are curious.

Well, apologetics wasn't the only thing that helped my faith. True personal encounters with God are ultimately what saved me... And such moments cannot be reasoned or researched. It helps to be open to receiving the Holy Spirit - but I know a few who were unexpectedly drawn out of atheism due to a religious experience.

I encourage you to keep seeking. Your desire for faith is a natural desire to know God. I don't know how or when God will meet you, but as long as you keep seeking with an open heart and mind I am sure that you will find Him. Keep being honest with yourself in where you are at... Relax in knowing you can't force a conversion to happen.

My belief about your situation? God loves you exactly where you are at right now.

I'm so sorry that you felt rejected by your Christian community. They fell short... Very short... Of the teachings of Jesus. I hope you can forgive them. I have friends of different faiths, and friends of no faith. I don't judge their journey or relationship (or lack thereof) with God. I just love them. That is what I am called to do.

Thanks again for sharing your story.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Well said. That sums it up perfectly.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: VegHead

Thank you very much for your kind words. I wish I had known someone like you when I was growing up, I would have been saved quite a lot of nights crying myself to sleep.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

They told me I was going to hell.

Do you want to borrow my SPF 1,000,000?

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
The word atheist scares religious people. They assume "the devil" is being worshipped, lol. The beauty of being an atheist is that you can believe or not believe whatever you like and be happy. A mean no, so you can still believe or disbeleive in a higher power but not take a particular path in scripture to get there. I thought my town was bad, jeez, sorry you had to deal with that, believe whatever makes you happy.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

They told me I was going to hell.

Do you want to borrow my SPF 1,000,000?
[yandere]

Nah I'll just use the skin of your twelve brides as a barrier.

[/yandere]

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Why be an atheist? Be an agnostic. That leaves the possibility you could be wrong about god existing while not having to put forth the effort of belief.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

See the problem is that too many people equate faith with feeling. Feeling is an emotion, faith is the conscious decision to believe that something is true. Singing will not bring faith. The fact that you pray indicates that you are open to the possibility that God exists, and that He may be listening. The question is, are you listening to Him? Or, are you even asking the right questions?

If you believe that God does exist, then that's step one.

Next;
Are you a sinner?
Can God have a reltionship with a fallen being? (I say no.)
How can you be redeemed? By your own merit or by God's grace?

Jesus claimed to have died for our sins so that faith in Him would save us. All you have to do is believe that what He said was true.

Do you believe that Jesus' words are true, or fabrication?

Why or why not?

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
The old 1,2 ,3 step of faith, been there and done that, and it can be quite the pain in the ass. It not like God made a manual with a valid warranty on souls you know?

Faith is a lot like a temple or building, it can have a certain theme to it, usually materialistic of course, but then spiritual belief that goes into such items could be viewed a sentimental. And temples are usual maintained and cleaned out of respect of that belief. But then comes a time, where God, how should we say...ahhhh...questions faith at times, and this probably was the core focus of Christianity and Judaism, or their philosophy at least.

Now in some cases of the biblical musings, it could be as simple as not giving up, and still believing, but those are just musings.

Then there are other religions or spiritualities like Buddhism and Yoga, which can be quite interesting in their owns ways, where as the Mono religions have failed since being on your knees all the time does nothing. Since they are physically and mentally rewarding, and the spirit seems to walk the the line between the body and the mind, although they do require a lot of thought or understanding of trying to attain an enlightened mind, but they do pretty good at it.

Atheism, well, a mindset thats naturally at peace and content is spiritual, it just hasn't found the expression, or maybe it doesn't need too, but I get where your coming from. But like a child, the mind wants to prove itself.

From my experience, spirituality is about understanding the body and mind inner workings, and understanding how to summon the spirit or even restrain it at times. Like summoning ones own inner strength, or being able to maintain a cool head when the environment around them is chaotic, or even acknowledging fear for that matter.

Or even overcoming ones inner demons or whacky voice that makes no sense alot of the time, and makes hard for you to think.

Experience is a harsh teacher, she gives the test first, and the lesson last.

edit on 13-2-2015 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

I think you're missing the point of this whole thread--some of us don't lack faith because we didn't try our damndest (in my case, for about two decades), it's that faith in a religion or its god just doesn't move us to believe. You can't just tell us to talk to something in which we don't believe and think that will convince us that you've given us the key to faith. It's almost like you aren't paying attention to what we described in our comments on our efforts and longing to believe for many years.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Why would you pray for faith? Faith is not something God can give you, that's something you have to generate within yourself. You should have prayed for knowledge. That can get you some pretty wild results.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

I don't believe God exists. I simply cannot choose to believe. Something in me rejects the very notion of religious faith. I don't what, or why, but it happens.

By the Bible's definition, all humans are born into sin. So yes, I am a sinner.
No, by the bible's words, a sinner cannot be with God.
Do I need redemption, then? Without a belief, what is there that is worth redeeming?

I believe Jesus existed. I believe he was a very wise man who died for bucking religious trends and suggesting acceptance and love over subjugation and force. His words I take very close to heart, he had many good ideas. But I do not believe in his divinity.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

I don't find God in church. I do find God in sunsets and baby's eyes.
And If I ever get up to Augustus' house, I hope to find him at the dinner table. (his food looks heavenly)

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Eh I used to be a hardcore atheist and to an extent I mocked believers. Now I'm a Christian. I think of God as the most powerful supercomputer one can imagine, capable of carrying out trillions upon trillions of various tasks per second.

Don't know, seems like the best way to explain it imo.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I think if you want faith you have it PERIOD. You just haven't
been able to see that.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

I think if you want faith you have it PERIOD. You just haven't
been able to see that.
I've wanted it since I was a child, and I still want it even today. What is it I'm not seeing?

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

I did none of those things, and I have a very strong and persistent faith. You can't force it, and for the record, while I did grow up going to church on Sundays, I never really connected to God in church, it just provided me with a foundation for understanding my personal journeys.

Church is the place for gaining an understanding and drawing comfort in the company of other believers, but true faith is more of a personal opening undertaken on one's own. It comes from you and not from a place or any particular activity or learning. You have to learn to listen on your own. There are some people who find that in the Sanctuary on Sundays, but I'm not one of them.

You might benefit from seeing how many Buddhist monks and even Christian monks go off to meditate and reflect in solitude. They aren't making great outward displays of faith. They are personally strengthening their bond in quiet reflection with Him. Faith isn't about showing the rest of us how dedicated you are. It's about finding that inner connection.

edit on 13-2-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join