It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boston’s Record-Shattering Snow Turns Neighbor Against Neighbor

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Sounds like people in Boston are getting testie about other people not shoveling all that snow.

The City reportedly has over 5000 complaints about it.

Of course, maybe an announcement asking people to complain had something to do with it.

The gnawing and gnashing continues.

BOSTON (CBS) — In Boston, the never-ending snow is turning neighbor against neighbor.

More than 5,600 complaints over snow removal have been filed in the city about people who have not done their due diligence when it comes to shoveling. There are complaints about neighbors, businesses and even the city for leaving roads and sidewalks snow-covered.

“I think everybody should do their part,” said one Boston resident who lives on a street with many unshoveled areas. “As you can see, it’s like a ski resort.”

As the city tries to tackle the six feet of snow that fell in a little more than two weeks, Boston Mayor Marty Walsh has encouraged people to report snow removal offenders online through “Citizens Connect.” Many have included photos in their anonymous complaints.

Boston’s Record-Shattering Snow Turns Neighbor Against Neighbor

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Shoveling snow sucks!

I have to do it here and at my age (54) it starts to hurt my back pretty quickly..

Snow is HEAVY, it may look all white and fluffy, but it's not...It's a lot of work, hard work...

Maybe a lot of these homes have older people in them who just don't care..

I mean, it will melt eventually...

Didn't I read somewhere that hiring kids to shovel was illegal?

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   
People must not talk to [or help] their neighbors anymore.

Just easier to tattle on them.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
What the Hell is a "snow removal offender"...

I don't understand your Government sometimes.

How can you fine people for not shovelling snow from a sidewalk?

Surely that's a Government job?

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: baddmove

Didn't I read somewhere that hiring kids to shovel was illegal?

Without a permit and paying tax... Yep.

Rise up America...

When it rains it pours...

When it snows the government bends you over!

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Maybe if they assure the young folks that they won't be fined for shoveling snow:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Or perhaps put a call out to enlist those young folks that want to earn some extra cash?

Not an issue if they use the grey matter.

Peace

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   
It's hard to get your snow shoveled when the police stop the kids and ask them if they have permits to shovel snow..... When I was a kid I looked forward to my snow shoveling days, it was good business and a lot of money when you don't have bills...

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Wow, Deja Vu. I was in the blizzard of '78. People would shovel out a spot for themselves and some asshole would wind up in it when they came home. There were some scuffles, for sure.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Never let a crisis go to waste !

It's always good to turn regular citizens into squealing maniac stool pigeons

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Might be some zombie residential/commercial buildings with nobody to clean it up...also old/disabled people not able to do it.

I'll bet you that fifty years ago 5500 of those 5600 complaints would have got their ass out there & shoveled off their neighbors sidewalk for them instead of calling it in.

Stop whining & grab yourselves a shovel or some skis if you're too lazy to shovel.

Bunch of complainers out there these days...
edit on 12-2-2015 by coldkidc because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs
Where I live it snows about every five minutes. It is part of the city bylaws that as a property owner we are legally responsible for clearing the city sidewalk in front of the property within 48 hours. We are also legally responsible for keeping any path on our property clear that a utility person requires to get to a meter or a mail person requires to make deliveries. Its part of your contract allowing you to purchase property in the city.

I personally appreciate the exercise. Have a corner lot and a five car pad so its a good workout.

edit on 12-2-2015 by CraftBuilder because: I added the last line.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Out of a city of 646K people 5K complaints isn't bad, it's too bad that WHDH decided to focus on the negative instead of the thousands of positive neighborly stories they could have.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
Wow, Deja Vu. I was in the blizzard of '78. People would shovel out a spot for themselves and some asshole would wind up in it when they came home. There were some scuffles, for sure.

Here in Chicago, we allow "dibs" on the spots. People put all kinds of junk out on the street to claim their spot. Just google Chicago Dibs images to see what I mean. Unless you want your car destroyed, you best not move someone's stuff after they've claimed the spot.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

We do that here too (I'm in Boston). We're also getting another blizzard Sat-Sun 12-18 more inches... LOL.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: CraftBuilder

Thanks for the info

So do they treat it as your (generic not specific) property if they catch you (generic not specific) outside with what can be classified as a weapon?

I know, being forced to clear snow is hardly tyranical and a bit of a first world problem, but it sounds like a piss take to me.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I lived in Arlington VA when the big snow storm hit a few years ago. We only had three feet but in Northern Virginia the department of transportation is lost when it comes to snow preparation and removal. there were stories out daily about people getting in fights and whatnot over shoveled out parking spaces and poorly cleaned walkways.

I could not imagine getting six feet so quickly. I think I would settle into my couch with some great sleeping meds and hibernate till spring.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Noop, its city property and treated as such in every respect except snow removal. The city is responsible for its repairs and the police will beat you down the moment you step onto it.

Ironically the snow cannot be shovelled onto the street or boulevard so you end up with a pile of snow that doesn't belong to you on your front lawn.

Its a good trade off though so that cities can save money on the snow removal program and put it toward more important community programs such as lining officials' pockets.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
What the Hell is a "snow removal offender"...

I don't understand your Government sometimes.

How can you fine people for not shovelling snow from a sidewalk?

Surely that's a Government job?

It's usually a city by law. Most homes need to shovel the sidewalk or at least the Boulevard if they have one outside their property line. City I live in give out tickets to people who don't even make an effort, but we have excellent snow removal and the sidewalks are generally cleared up within a day or two.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

We do that here too (I'm in Boston). We're also getting another blizzard Sat-Sun 12-18 more inches... LOL.

Quincy here, Kali... we're SO looking forward to another foot and a half.

Seriously, this is pretty ridiculous. I had to chase a sherpa that was offering guide services, out of my yard this morning.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   

That is the strangest thing I have heard of in a long time. I see people also leave threatening notes too. I seriously don't understand your country. In Scotland both the footway and the carriageway that is adopted by the local council (which is most areas used by the general public) is maintained by the council. So they clear snow from the carriage ways as a first priority and grit them. There is also a small mechanical device that is driven along the footway which lays grit down. We park where we can if we don't have a drive way as the carriageway is for everyone to use and is in fact illegal for anyone to put anything on the carriageway (apart from vehicles) without the permission of the council. Some people try to hold a parking space outside their house using traffic cones, which is against the Road Scotland Act and not allowed, as the only cones that are allowed are ones placed by the council or the police, usually for traffic safety or temporary parking restrictions. So that eliminates any fights between neighbours for parking rights.
With the dibs thing, doesn't the stuff people leave out get stolen?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join