It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Winter Storm for Southeast US Next Week

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: PeterMcFly

Nah.

This is just weather a weather event, and one that's not unheard of either for our areas.

Now if it were to pound say Florida with snow, year after year, that certainly would be a climate change!

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

Nah.

This is just weather a weather event, and one that's not unheard of either for our areas.

Now if it were to pound say Florida with snow, year after year, that certainly would be a climate change!

How dare you say snow in florida... take it back i dont think us floridians would make it the majority of people in florida can barely drive in rain imagine snow "CHAOS" IS the only word that comes to mind

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I'm tired of it being cold and not being able to at least enjoy some snow. It either needs to warm up, or drop some snow.

Same here! Give us the goods, or go away. I love to watch my two Westies play in the snow. Like two little kids I tell ya, catching the flakes in their mouths, eating it, run baby run! They love it, plus it's about the only time they get to wear their sweaters, which they think they are 'hot stuff' in. They strut around like they are on a catwalk.

(Loving the Dalmatian-esque kangas, btw.)

OP, thanks for the heads up. Had no idea this was coming. Just happened to notice the birdbath was frozen this morning.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

It's called winter, which will keep happening for some time yet, even though the planet is warming. Warming can and does affect weather including winter weather for example... the brutal New England winter we're having this year along the coast...

Because of the warming Atlantic Ocean, the weather systems we have been getting are intensifying (gaining wind and moisture) over the water causing very high amounts of snow (because it's still winter and cold) over and over again.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
update from Firsthand Weather....as it's only on Facebook right now (and not everyone has a FB account), I'm quoting the entire article as it's on on their web site yet....

Oh, and it looks like this up coming storm won't be the only one to hit the south, heh.

WINTER STORM UPDATE: Okay, listen up! Many of you could be impacted by a winter storm next week. I want to start getting a bit more detailed with everything this weekend, so that you can start to prepare.
Model guidance is now coming into agreement that a widespread winter storm will be impacting parts of the South next week. Who gets what will be highly dependent on the track of this storm, not necessarily the timing of cold air moving over the area (which has been the issue all winter).
I went against all of the forecast models in my article a few days ago, and it's looking like it's going to end up being a pretty good call. You don't want the moisture to get too suppressed to the south; otherwise, you miss the moisture. I don't expect that to occur at this time. The reason I went against the consensus was because typically storms develop further to the south with the kind of Arctic airmass that will be pushing south next week. Also, southern storms tend to develop after one Arctic airmass has already pushed through.
Initially, places like Oklahoma, Arkansas, southern Missouri, and possibly even northern Louisiana will be impacted with frozen precipitation (snow and/or ice). As the low pressure system deepens and moves east along the Gulf Coast, parts of Tennessee, northern and central MS, northern and central AL (including Birmingham), northern and central GA (including Atlanta), Upstate SC (and possibly midlands), and a good portion of North Carolina will likely be impacted with snow and/or ice. This looks to be a winter event that will begin Sunday night further west and last until Wednesday further east.
If the moisture doesn't get suppressed too far south (which I don't think it will), then all of the areas that I mentioned will likely be dealing with a winter storm. Tennessee and surrounding areas could be on that precipitation line, so the track of this system will determine if they get much of anything. At this time, I DO NOT believe that the heaviest precipitation will be over TN like the models were showing yesterday but further to the south, but that doesn't mean that TN won't get snowfall over that area, given that it won't take as much moisture to produce higher snowfall accumulations.
For those of you relying on mobile apps, don't! Most forecasts these days are generated by computers, NOT humans. As we get closer to the event, hopefully models will become more consistent, therefore, you weather apps will be a bit more consistent.
IF I have time, I will have an article out either late afternoon or tonight. I tried uploaded another video, and yet again, it's having issues uploading. I'll post it here if it eventually uploads. Another winter storm for parts of the South is now on the table for late next week, and I will talk about that if that becomes more likely.

Link for those who have Facebook

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Our local forecasters are predicting three events.

One beginning Saturday afternoon/evening. Wind chills on Sunday morning are predicted to be below 0 which is very cold and fairly unusual in this neck of the woods.
The next wave would be coming in Sunday night/Monday morning early. Shouldn't be too many travel difficulties due partially to the Holiday and also, we have a very good road maintenance groups. The city, county and TDOT on I-40 do a very good job at keeping the main roads clear. We have a good number of back country roads with hills and hollers and those folks are usually stuck if it gets any ice at all. Some roads won't see sun due to the tree cover and they must wait until the temps rise enough to thaw it...
The third round is forecast to come on Tuesday but, they aren't as confident in that system yet.

I went to the grocery store today and I have found here, people stock up on paper plates and cheese....? I used to think that was really odd but, I suppose I've come accustomed to it. I know that if it is going to snow, there won't be any cheese or paper plates. There is almost always bread, milk, and fresh fruits, etc. Odd

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Paper plates, I can actually understand.

If your pipes freeze, or you have a electric well pump like I do and the power goes out, you won't have a way to wash dishes.

Cheese though....now that's a new one for me.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
All I can say is that no one in Atlanta better drive anywhere that day.

We will drive to the store for milk and bread and you can't stop us

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

originally posted by: ketsuko
All I can say is that no one in Atlanta better drive anywhere that day.

We will drive to the store for milk and bread and you can't stop us

Don't forget the eggs. How can you make French toast without the eggs?

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Haha. I actually hit Whole Foods on the way home, so I'm set. My only problem is a Starbucks addiction and a total inability to make coffee that tastes anywhere near good. Such problems...I'm really not whining!

They keep changing this forecast and none of the weather sites seem to be agreeing with each other.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Ahhh!

I've got my own "egg factory" outside! 6 a day they give me, so I just need the....uh.....the...uhm.....bread....and .....er.....milk......

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

It (the forecast) will most likely keep going all over the place until we get to Sunday....

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
HaHa!
I am in Florida so no snow for me I don't think!

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
He finally got his video up. Apparently his other video was over 15 minutes long, and looks like a new account he's not verified yet. You have to verify your account before you can post videos 15 minutes or longer.

Anyways, here it is, and looks like there may be another shot at snow for me by the end of next week too:

ETA: and now I'm logging off ATS to go kill zombies with my wife on 7 Days to Die.
edit on 2/13/2015 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I can't wait until Sunday. I'm looking at the forecast for North Alabama and I'm just hoping that the forecast sticks. The last time I was this excited about anything was when I graduated from college over a year ago. This is epic and I'm stoked. On the inside, I'm jumping up and down. On the outside, I'm trying to hold it together just in case things change.

Omg, I'm so excited and I just can't hide it!!!! Lol.....let it snow!!!!!

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 02:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocketgirl
You may find your joy! In far western Kentucky we now have a thin coating of ice on everything and the snow has begun in earnest. My back yard is already white.
We couldn't resist running into town to the grocery store today just to take advantage of the half-price sale on Valentine's chocolates and watch the madness unfold.
As predicted, the bread shelves were bare at 5 PM, they were unloading a special order of milk so those shelves hadn't been stripped. There was not a banana to be found, not a potato to be found except a few sweet potatoes. There were massive holes in the snack aisle as well. No veggie snack trays to be found! The produce fellow had to go fetch broccoli from the fridge. There were a few loose onions around but not a bag of onions to be found.
When I got to the check-out line they were passing out the last of the plastic bags in the store. The cashier was relieved to see that I had my own bags. Her supervisor came by and told her that they should be getting a truck with bags by 3 AM if the storm didn't hold them up. Nonetheless, she estimated that they would run out of bags by 9PM.
So, here we are, tucked in with plenty of chocolate, coffee, firewood and unread books. I've just taken butter rolls out of the oven and we have a pound of lip-smacking BBQ to slip into them.
Let it snow! But if you must be out there please be safe!

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Here in the Shenandoah valley.. it has begun, we are forecasted to receive 4-8" through tomorrow, but that was with a 5PM start, it's a few hours early, hopefully that just means it will be over sooner than later...

All prepared, hope everyone else in it's path is as well...

Have supplies ready, flashlights candles staged, etc etc, in case you should lose power...

Don't forget to check on your neighbors in case they may have missed the warnings

Stay safe and may spring be just around the corner

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Iced down here in the north Atlanta burbs. Power flickering.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I'm in south east va and am getting 16 inches they say. Blizzard. Stuck at a girls house with only one pair clothes so I cant enjoy the #ing snow like I wanted to because I wasn't prepared. Totally thought this was going to hit Tuesday but I'm lovin it

Sad it would be building igloo thogh

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join