It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Winter Storm for Southeast US Next Week

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
So far this winter, the southeastern US has dodged quite a bit of possible snow and ice. We've had plenty of temps dipping down below freezing and many areas (mine included) have had plenty of rain. But so far no snow.

That may be changing next week.

Reading an article on Firsthand Weaather that was posted yesterday about a possible winter storm system moving through the south eastern US next week:

I want to make note of a few things before I get deeper into the discussion on this potential winter storm. This has the potential to be a widespread winter storm for parts of the Southern Plains, Southeast, Tennessee Valley, and extending into areas north of that, BUT where this storm tracks is going to be EVERYTHING. It will determine who gets wintry precipitation, all rain, or absolutely nothing.

Basically, we are looking at this development starting Monday/Tuesday (Feb 16/17), where a couple of surface Lows will combine:

Very cold air is already pushing south. Indeed, this coming Sunday, my predicted high will only be in the 30's. Not unheard of, but quite chilly for us, with lows in the low 20's.

The biggest (but not the only) factor is: where the Low will track. There are several ways it could go. Further north, and a lot of us will be seeing rain:

Further south, and well.....looks like we'll be getting that snow instead:

The author of the article was predicting that it will take a more southern track.....

Guess what? As of this evening, they changed my forecast for Wednesday/Thrusday to include a small shot of snow.

Turns out, the models are showing a more southern track now.

Of course it's still early. The predictions will get better by this Sunday and certainly into Monday.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

The upgrade of the gfs to the parallel has performed terribly. The Euro still reigns

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Yep I live in north Alabama and the temp is dropping quick

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Great just greeeat. Im wearing shorts all week and this weekend into next week is going to be cold as heck. South Carolina is so like that. Thought about going to Florida but Id have to go to the keys and its even in the crap zone so that's out. Im just gonna have to grin and bear it, lay around inside and get fat and lazy. Right now the wind is pretty crazy, Im about 75 feet from the coast. The map looks like a tropical storm in the usual position they end up in hurricane season.
edit on 12-2-2015 by Foderalover because: mispelling

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
All I can say is that no one in Atlanta better drive anywhere that day.

I wonder how far north the northern extent of that snow is going to get ... The last thing I need is a crappy commute on Monday.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Being from the carolinas, they will shut down. All the milk and bread will be gone ! Bunker down ! LOL!

I have wintered many winter storms down there and this really isn't a biggie.
But thanks for sharing and keeping an eye on things Eric.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Nooooo!

But, alas, the South's worst snowfall in recent memory happened in March, so - all options are on the table.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
All I can say is that no one in Atlanta better drive anywhere that day.

They will have ATL shutdown before the first flake falls. It snowed here in North Ga last month, 12 flakes on the ground and school was closed and no bread and milk on the shelves.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: hillbilly4rent

And Gov. Deal and Mayor Reid will be loathe to have a repeat of last year. LoL!

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
a reply to: hillbilly4rent

And Gov. Deal and Mayor Reid will be loathe to have a repeat of last year. LoL!

Lol true oh so true

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I have thoroughly enjoyed the mild winter to date, and though I lament that I just planted my spring peas in the garden and this will inhibit them
Should this pan out, I do get the chance to shovel the drive barefoot and continue my seasonal acclimation conditioning.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I'm keeping my fingers crossed here. I'm tired of it being cold and not being able to at least enjoy some snow. It either needs to warm up, or drop some snow.

My daughter will have her fingers crossed as well I'm sure. Lack of snow days makes her a dull girl.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I live in Alabama and I'm hoping we get snow. I was thrilled when I saw the weather report. We rarely get snow here and I hope the odds are in my favor this time around. Fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Our forecast now says we'll have "snow showers" on Sunday afternoon. So far, we've had only dustings of snow, noting that lasted more than a few hours. However, all those snows have come after a warm rain had fallen. This time is different because we're already down to 19.
Let it snow! I say because we've seen so little this winter. My bunker is well-stocked. It was six years ago, about this time of year when we were hit by the Icemare of '09 and the entire electrical system was down for 5 days with outlying areas being out much longer. Ours was out for 13 days but we had prepared by having a propane-fueled whole-house generator installed just the previous fall.
We had been "preppers" for several years and so when the ice storm hit, we were able to not only survive quite nicely but help others to be more comfortable as well. So if you're in the path of this storm, just make sure your plans are in place then enjoy the beauty.
ETA: Don't forget the birds and wild critters when you're laying in supplies!
edit on 12-2-2015 by diggindirt because: addition

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   
The part of SC I live in, they are always hesitant to predict snow.

Right now Intellicast is saying rain, but Weather Underground is saying Snow.

Firsthand Weather is trying to get a new video article uploaded. I'll try linking it once it's available.

Snow here is no big deal. I think the most I've ever seen here in SC was 8 inches back in Christmas of 1989 in Charleston, and then here in Aiken a few years ago we got 5 inches.

Closes everything down here, but other than that, it's no big deal.

The BIG deal is when we get ice storms like last year. Those are bad and we all loose power (and trees).

Picture from last year's ice storm:

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   

edit on 12-2-2015 by oldworldbeliever because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Okay, their video on YouTube is still not done being processed as of right now, but I'm going to include the link so check back later:

www.youtube.com...

Basically, the forecast models keep moving the storm further south.

What does that mean? It means more areas of the south will be at risk for snow/ice instead of rain. However it also means areas further north will not get any precep.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 03:22 AM
link   
You guys will get snow unfortunately i live in florida i will get nothing...but rain😟😟

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 03:32 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Maybe one of these clowns, or else shall I say high priest of the Church of Warmingology will step in and explain this is caused by warming, err. modified current, err. climatic change... What ever...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join