It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Reports Claim ISIS Just Captured al-Asad Air Base

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Lol you were gate guard on a major base nice war story a reply to: czerro

edit on 2 13 2015 by Jhugener because: Army

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 03:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Jhugener

Interior guard is garbage, It's where you send garbage. Unfortunately, certain circumstances dictate that an interior guard must exist outside the garbage interior guard requisition due to clearance. Somebody has to be SOG, even though nobody can give up anybody of that qualification, so you trade the duty across qualified individuals, and they just don't sleep for a week.

It's real awesome.

Nothing like your #ty staff seargeant, NCO, or otherwise unemployable marine due to lack of skillset and brains, that was put on an interior stop-sign watch for 24-hours a day, and being compared to that individual due to manpower constraints and department requistions, and your unfortunately overly-positive standing...
edit on 13-2-2015 by czerro because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 06:15 AM
link   
How does ISIS move enough troops and equipment around to take over towns without being seen and taken out? All our Satellites watching Putin?

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

Move in small groups and stay in civilian areas where they can't be positive who is who.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jhugener
Lol you were gate guard on a major base nice war story a reply to: czerro

Lol, you ARE a gate guard. The contingencies of my job required that we provided our OWN interior guard. Nobody else had clearance. I don't want to give out too much information regarding the construction of Al Asad, and it's not really that interesting anyway. It's paperwork.

So, once a month I was required to SOG the gate to our complex, though this was generally supplanted and filled by someone else as my duties elsewhere were more pressing.

LOL, that you have no idea what I'm talking about. It's not fancy or sinister at all. It's literally a logistics things in a logistics squadron with an independent departmental qualification within the command structure that they are also subordinate to. Yeah, the military is a little goofy....

Edit: Also I never did 'Interior' Guard. I did Interior guard for our complex, being self-sufficient and requisite. I can't believe you can't figure this out! We were spare enough that we would generally fight giving up any bodies to Base Interior Guard, and we generally had probable cause. Again, pretty sparse. If we gave someone up...they generally never came back and were re-assigned to another MOS.
edit on 13-2-2015 by czerro because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: stirling

i think you are forgetting that some of those shoeless wonders will be trained troops from other countries .

and being a US marine does not make them bullet proof .

isis needs to be eradicated they are a cancer but as soon as you underestimate them you are in trouble .

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Xeven

Move in small groups and stay in civilian areas where they can't be positive who is who.

Correct.
Those videos that we see of them rolling in a huge convoy of Toyota pickups, flying the ISIS flag are photo ops for their own propaganda films. If they actually did their ops like that they wouldn't last very long.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

A dozen A-10's, 10 B-52's with JADAMs an AC-130 for ACC and 10 V-22s could do it easily. The V-22's might have to make two trips. We planned crazier things with Sikorsky Seakings, A-6's and A-7's. I was trained as a CSAR coordinator back in the early 80's. Did it for real in April 86.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

It could be done, but it would be really high risk to do it with all the MANPADS in the area.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   

That's what the B-52's are for. Make them keep their heads down. With the JDAMs they can stay above the MANPADS and still hit them. You pick a corridor and then overload it so that any of the enemy there is too busy trying to stay alive to mess with you. Do you have any idea if an EA-6B can jam cell phone freqs?

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

The Growler is better at it. The best to do something like that is the MC-12 though. You can keep their head down, but you'll still get at least one or two fired off at you. Unless you level the entire area for a mile or more around the base, you're going to get leakers.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
This just in on Reuters:

US military says 15 more airstrikes launched against Islamic State; US and coalition partners conducted 8 strikes in Syria, 7 in Iraq since early Thursday - @Reuters

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Darkblade71

I am not the least bit worried about 300 marines, as they know very well how to kill and defend. If it was 5 or 10 I might be worried, 300?
ISIS is going to open a world of hurt on themselves.

Yeah.

I doubt they can stand toe to toe on open battle with a well equipped, well trained , well fortified western unit. US/Marines or any other western unit would be suicide.

There only hope i hit and run guerrilla tactics.

This little battle is NOT going to go down well.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I hate to say it, but, that's where countermeasures and acceptable losses come into play.
Trading one or two aircraft and their crews for 300 marines is a no brainer, and I say that as an ex-crewman in the slowest thing in the air.
edit on 13-2-2015 by JIMC5499 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64
a reply to: xuenchen

Wonder if our glorious leader will allow these poor souls to be sacrificed AGAIN or if he will actually do what is needed to save American soldiers this time.

I hardly doubt they will be sacrificed.

As much as I take the piss out the US army and marines I know full well they can handle themselves against a mob of ISIS.
edit on 13-2-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

As for the bravado on the front page of this thread, I wouldn't be so sure - it's a training mission, how well armed and supplied are these Marines? Lacking any heavy weaponry or significant stores of ammunition, I wouldn't fancy their chances for long if the base is surrounded, regardless of their (well deserved) reputation.

Don't the USA + Friends have 100% air superiority?

If so they can drop supply's at will can they not?

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA
This is great news for the west. We should be very close to getting what we wanted in the ME again....as many boots on the ground as it takes to "win".

And the "300 Marines" is PERFECT! It is just like the movie! And everyone knows what happened to those poor 300 when the government didn't send reinforcements in time. Americans learn everything from movies (like the US marine being so tough... only in the movies) so this should not be lost on them.

We are close to a ground war. ISN'T THAT WHAT YOU ALL WANTED?

Typical ATS BS. "Blame America." Sure these ISIS clowns are kidnapping and beheading people, but somehow them advancing on someone else's base is our fault. Whatever.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: jaffo

Didn't you know? ISIS is CIA so that the US has an excuse to go to war with everyone in the Middle East, so we can build a pipeline for all the oil we're not getting from the region already after the Iraq invasion.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   

I hope that was sarcasm.

ISIS is AQ they just changed their names that came from Saudi Arabia, and it's GIP.

The civil war in Syria, whose Alawite regime Saudi Arabia's Sunny monarchy has long plotted against, and the prospect of a war with Shiite Iran over its reported drive to acquire nuclear weapons, preoccupy Riyadh while, Abdallah, Canute-like, strives to keep the democratic wave from breaking on its shores. Read more: www.upi.com...

You Can't Understand ISIS If You Don't Know the History of Wahhabism in Saudi Arabia
edit on 13-2-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Of course it was.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join